• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Paladins (Dungeon 310)

Has anyone used the alternate Paladins presented in Dungeon 310?

If so, I'd be interested to hear how they've worked out. In particular how the Turn Outsider and Turn Construct abilities have stacked up against the traditional Turn Undead. Turn Outsider strikes me as potentially seeing even more use than Turn Undead, whereas Turn Construct seems pretty limited. Obviously utility may vary from campaign to campaign, but I's be intereste din hearing actual experiences.

I've been thinking of introducing some of these into a planned campaign (though possibly not exactly as presented in the magazine).

I am starting a new campaign and one of the PCs will be the CG Avenger paladin from that issue. We've renamed the class "Valkyrie" and made some other tweaks to fit our campaign world. So far it looks like it will play out well and be a lot more fun to play than the core 3.5 paladin.

Aegis

DaveStebbins

First Post
Dang, I must be WAY behind! The last Dungeon Magazine I got was #119. Are you in some kind of time warp, HalfOrc HalfBiscuit? :p

I'd be interested in hearing the experiences others have had too. I don't have that issue of Dragon, but I think a friend does, and I could probably borrow it if it gets enough good word of mouth. Have you checked for feedback on the forums at Paizo?

-Dave

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Liquidsabre said:
That CG avenger sounds alot like what we saw in Unearthed Arcana, don't tell me they reprinted it again in Dragon??
Dragon first, I think. Reprinted in Unearthed Arcana.

Liquidsabre

Explorer
Jdvn1 said:

Ah, an old dragon mag then. Gotcha.

To be on topic though, I don't use CG paladins but I do makes use of a similar turn outsider class feature that I like alot. Though I think the version of the ability in UA was too powerful and I ended up using a similar mechanic to censure outsider (something I would recommend over turn outsider) from the Knights of the Chalice PrC in Complete Warrior.

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Liquidsabre said:
Well, not that old. Just older than Unearthed Arcana. Which isn't that old.

I've liked the alternate paladins, myself. I never used Remove Disease too much.

Liquidsabre said:

To be on topic though, I don't use CG paladins but I do makes use of a similar turn outsider class feature that I like alot. Though I think the version of the ability in UA was too powerful and I ended up using a similar mechanic to censure outsider (something I would recommend over turn outsider) from the Knights of the Chalice PrC in Complete Warrior.

Didn't know that they'd been reprinted in UA (which I don't have). Could you expand on the "censure" mechanic?

Thanks

Stormborn

Explorer
I like the alternate paladins, but they haven't shown up in game. However, I have used the "turn outsider" mechanic as described therein, it worked great. Of course the character in question was only used in a one shot and the turnign worked on a group of imps but not the BBEG, a fiendish currator from Monsternomicon by Privateer Press.

Ondo

First Post
Jdvn1 said:

No, the ones in Unearthed Arcana are different. UA only covers the four corner alignments, and none of them have Turn Outsider or Turn Construct.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads