• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Poison Rules

zen_hydra

First Post
Does anyone have any alternate rules for making poison more of a threat?

I don't like that all poisons have the same onset time, and that after a couple of saves the poison is out of ones system.

What would be a good way to model a longer duration and interval between saving throws?

Kunimatyu

First Post
zen_hydra said:
Does anyone have any alternate rules for making poison more of a threat?

I don't like that all poisons have the same onset time, and that after a couple of saves the poison is out of ones system.

What would be a good way to model a longer duration and interval between saving throws?

You want Toxicant , I'll bet.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
zen_hydra said:
I have trouble remembering to make the PCs save against the second "onset", even with the standardization... :\

One house rule I've seen around here: Poison is save for half, not save negates. That makes it frightening. Oh yes. :]

Cheers, -- N

For really frightening, and relatively balanced, approach to poison that does not require shelling out $$ for a PDF...try Sean Reynolds Misc rules page and the "Concentration Vs Poison" and "Continuing Poison Damage" {near the bottom} rules.

I have used these rules for quite a while and IMHO they do a better job of emulating the storied process of poison.. and make them a bit more scary.

He also has an article on [Poison] spell descriptors and many other interesting bits. One of my favorite web pages :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads