• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate use of Second Wind

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
This is something I was thinking about putting into my game.

If a character still has his Second Wind ability remaining at the end of an encounter, he may choose to spend a healing surge. Instead of healing, he regains the use of his encounter powers immediately.

This way if time is of the essence, the player can "catch his breath" quickly and keep moving at the cost of a healing surge.

Is_907

First Post
I guess that would be useful if there's another encounter within five minutes of you... otherwise you can take a Short Rest for 5mins and spend healing surges for HP and automatically regain your encounter powers.
Unless I'm misunderstanding your meaning...?

Is_907

First Post
Then yes, I like it... I think.
I'm pretty sure you still regain your encounter powers without a short rest between two encounters. Or am I still misunderstanding this HR or am I misunderstanding the encounter power recharge? (Just seems to me that if you say "end of the encounter" the fact that you've used your encounter powers won't matter-- if it's the end then the next fight is a new encounter.)

Eldritch_Lord

Adventurer
I'm pretty sure you still regain your encounter powers without a short rest between two encounters.

Nope. You need a short rest to recover encounter powers and an extended rest to recover daily powers--if you go to a new encounter without a short rest, or a new day without an extended rest, you don't recover them. The names are a bit misleading.

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Right

Right, you need a short rest (normally) to recover encounter powers, etc. I'm thinking about taking out the second wind requirement and basically letting people spend a healing surge to recharge their powers without resting and keep moving.

I like things to keep moving and to push my players, so the idea of a five minute rest in the middle of the action goes against the feel I want for this series of encounters.

Dreary_Angel

First Post
Hi everyone, first post...

I just have one question: does this "second wind - enconter power recharge" allow you to take advantage of miles stones or it is like a short rest for that side?

i ask because i think it is a great idea but i do not know how to deal with the miles stone thing...

Bayonet_Chris

First Post
Milestones

Yeah, I would treat it like a short rest - just the players trading off time for a healing surge. The milestones would still apply every two encounters.

Remove ads