• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternate Vampire + Minions

Sammael99

First Post
Hi all !

Although I like the way Vampires are designed in 3E, there are a number of minor things I'd like to change. Also, there are a few elements of Word of Darkness Vampires that I'd like to "translate" to 3E. I wanted to submit these changes to you guys and see what you thought :

Vampires

There are two things I'd change about Vampires themselves.

The fact that the level loss comes from the Slam attacks and not the bite doesn't satisfy me. The vampire of tradition sucked its victim's life, it didn't slam it's vistim's life. So I'd like to shift the level drain to the "bite". Considering that most vampires would use Dominate to subjugate their victim and then suck them dry and/or grapple their victim and suck them dry. I would also add that once the victim is bitten they need to overcome the bliss of this embrace through a save DC 10+Cha bonus of the Vampire + Lvl of the Vampire character each round if they wish to act (assuming they haven't been dominated.)

The other thing I'd like to add is a special power called "Vampiric Awe" (Su) which acts like a permanent "Sanctuary" (DC 10+Cha bonus of the Vampire + Lvl of the Vampire character) : people are subjugated by the Vampire's presence and thus find it difficult to harm him if he hasn't harmed them first.

Do you guys think this would bump up or down the CR of the vampire ?

Vampire Blood

The blood of a vampire, when drunk by a mortal, confers some level of vampiric power to said mortal. A vampire's blood exists only as long as a vampire is alive, ie. a vampire if someone extracts blood from a vampire who is later on killed, the blood itself is destroyed.

The powerts conferred last for one whole month although during the first day after ingestion, they are much more potent :

First Day :

Natural Armor +2
STR +4, CHA +4, CON +2, DEX +2, INT +2

Vampiric Awe
Fast Healing (5)

Following Days :

Natural Armor +1
STR +2, CHA +2
Vampiric Awe

The substance is heavily addictive : if the user has not ingested vampire blood again at the end of a given month, he suffers very heavy withdrawal symptoms (CON -4, DEX -4, WIS -6) for aperiod of 1d4 weeks or until he ingests the blood again.

This is a very rough sketch, but what do you guys think ?

trentonjoe

Explorer
I think it is a pretty sound modification. The vampire should probably stay at the same CR. Could you make a sample vampire and post it? I would be interested in seeing a 5th cleric vampire.

The blood is neat, too. I have always liked the idea of an addictive drug. I think it is great concept of this crazed addict who needs to get his fix of VAmpire blooded. It could be CN Vampire killer or a LE Vampire minion.

Good work.
If you post a sample creature I'll be your best friend.

Sammael99

First Post
trentonjoe said:
I think it is a pretty sound modification. The vampire should probably stay at the same CR. Could you make a sample vampire and post it? I would be interested in seeing a 5th cleric vampire.

Will do when time allows. I'm at work now and pretty busy ;)

Scarab

First Post
I'd really like to see an age progression table for vampires, like dragons. That would make vampires even more versatile.

graydoom

First Post
Looks cool. And I like the idea of age categories for vampires... it does seem to be a part of the mythology of vampires that the older a vampire is, the more powerful it is.

Remove ads