• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Armor as DR System?

Viktyr Gehrig

First Post
3catcircus said:
I agree with this - I'm thinking maybe instead of a "DR/bypass" system, armor types would have a "DR/half DR" system. For example, chain armor would probably be DR x/Piercing where the DR is halved against piercing weapons like daggers.

I think a much simpler system would be giving can-openers a new weapon trait, "Armor Piercing", that reduces DR to half, rounded-down, minimum 1.

kyberus

First Post
Just a short note: Plate armors seem to be notoriously nasty to pierce,
longbows (according to some) didn't pierce the better (note better) equipment
easily, (or atleast, the armor enthusiasts say one thing, the longbow enthusiasts
say another, however there are more longbow enthusiasts, how many people can afford to buy suits of full plate just to walk around in them). One thing is certain,
slashing weapons did do miserably against plate, or even chain for that matter.

still: chain should be DR/bludgeoning, why? Hitting chainmail with a mace would do
more damage than hitting bare flesh or leather, think of a giant many ringed stapler going right through the leather jacket underneath... or atleast, I'd recomend such, and it would make sense, would it not?

also, are you planning on giving AC and DR from armor?
maybe they could be seperated and just give a base "defence" for class levels, DR for armor? (3/4 of Bab perhaps) still, probably too much extra

Sorry to bother you again,

3catcircus

Adventurer
Most historical accounts that I've read indicate that chain armors were typically worn with a thickly padded or quilted undergarment that cushioned much of the blow. They also indicate that piercing weapons - daggers, arrows, and, especially, crossbow bolts could effectively penetrate chain armors. In fact, the Roman Catholic Church (the most prevalent in medieval Europe) tried to ban crossbows because they were so deadly.

I still plan on using AC and DR from armor - the idea of a base defense bonus for each class is a little too d20 modern for me.

kyberus said:
Just a short note: Plate armors seem to be notoriously nasty to pierce,
longbows (according to some) didn't pierce the better (note better) equipment
easily, (or atleast, the armor enthusiasts say one thing, the longbow enthusiasts
say another, however there are more longbow enthusiasts, how many people can afford to buy suits of full plate just to walk around in them). One thing is certain,
slashing weapons did do miserably against plate, or even chain for that matter.

still: chain should be DR/bludgeoning, why? Hitting chainmail with a mace would do
more damage than hitting bare flesh or leather, think of a giant many ringed stapler going right through the leather jacket underneath... or atleast, I'd recomend such, and it would make sense, would it not?

also, are you planning on giving AC and DR from armor?
maybe they could be seperated and just give a base "defence" for class levels, DR for armor? (3/4 of Bab perhaps) still, probably too much extra

Sorry to bother you again,

Last edited:

Rhun

First Post
3catcircus said:
Most historical accounts that I've read indicate that chain armors were typically worn with a thickly padded or quilted undergarment that cushioned much of the blow. They also indicate that piercing weapons - daggers, arrows, and, especially, crossbow bolts could effectively penetrate chain armors. In fact, the Roman Catholic Church (the most prevalent in medieval Europe) tried to ban crossbows because they were so deadly.

I still plan on using AC and DR from armor - the idea of a base defense bonus for each class is a little too d20 modern for me.

From the research I have done recently, chain armor was more effective versus slashing and piercing attacks than scale armor, but scale provided better protection versus blunt damage. Plate armor was very effective against most piercing and slashing attacks, but not nearly as resilient to blunt damage.

Truth be told, it all depends on how realistic you want to get. As I pointed out in another thread on this same topic, it was very common for the medieval warrior (one that could not afford plate) to wear a quilted gambeson, then a shirt of chainmail, with brigandine over the top. This combination provided excellent protection versus all forms of attack, but it is relatively hard to simulate in a fantasy game.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads