• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

alternative cleric

DiFier

First Post
I'm working on a Cleric. but he's not gonaa be a turning/rebuking undead cleric. can anyone think of some good abilities to trade for turning attempts. I was thinking trading 1 turing attempt a day for a new class skill and 1 skill point per level. one (or maybe 2) turning attempt per day for spell like ability like lesser seceret (from AU)

any other ideas? basically we are thinking of making a more deverse cleric.

DiFier

First Post
O.K. after setting the filters to show all threads from the last year I found a proposed alt cleric that I like. er like enought to modify. thanks to candidus_cogitens for a great start. here is my version:

Prophet

Hit Die: d8.

Class Skills:
The prophet’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (History) (Int), Listen (Wis), Perform (Cha), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Speak Language, Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis). See Chapter 4: Skills for skill descriptions.

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int Modifier) x 4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
Prophets are proficient with all simple weapons plus the favored weapon of their deity. Prophets are proficient with light armor and shields.

BAB: As cleric.

Saves: High Will.

Spells: Spells per day, as cleric (see PHB, table 3-6).

Deity, Domains, and Domain Spells: As cleric.

Augury
The prophet may chose one of the following abilities: Dreamspeasking, Visions, voices. these abilities are the way deiety communicates information to the prophet. The results of these interpretations are often cryptic, and the dungeonmaster should use careful judgment as to what information may be gained by a player in this manner. Players should be aware that this ability will not yeild useful results in every case. An augury check, d20 + level, determines the relative clarity or usefulness of the interpretation, but even the highest rolls do not guarantee great clarity. A prudent DM may wish to make useful.

healing touch
The a good-aligned prophet can use her power to channel positive energy to heal. by laying his hands on himself or others. The Prophet can do this 3 times per day + 1 for each point of cha modifier. Each channeling heals 1d4 hit points, plus 1d4 for every three caster levels. Thus, a third level prophet can heal 2d4 hit points per chanelling, and at sixth level, 3d4.

Cursed glare
An evil-aligned prophet can glare at an enemy and curse them draining their lifeforce. The prophet makes a ranged touch attack dealing 1d4 + the prophet's cha modifier points of negative energy damage. Hit points lost to this attack can only be restored with a remove curse spell. An evil prophet can do this 3 times per day + 1 for each point of cha modifier.

Neutral prophets must choose at first level wich ability (healing touch or cursed glare) they will be able to use.

I eliminated the skills that are gone for 3.5. changed the weapon profecieny. all prophets get the Augury ability, they lose the ability to turn/rebuke undead*. I eliminated the spontanious casting ability. I made the channel positive or negative energy abilities primary rather than an off shoot of the turning ability and I made the evil version better**. basically a cleric that loses spontainous casting, turning, medium and heavy armor and a good fort save; gains 2 skill points per level and some class skills, the dream speaking feat (or a variation, voices or visions) the ability to lay on hands. or do (semi)permenant damage.

* Tho perhaps there should be a feat where you can spend a channeling attept and can instead turn undead.
** it was too powerful. (no saving throw, no to hit, mulitipul times a day, reciepiant can't heal for a day, easily = charachter death)

Trainz

Explorer
With Healing Touch, this class professes to be a superior healer. However, by removing spontaneous cures, it's overall actually worse than the cleric in the healing domain. Weird.

I like the augury. Gives the DM a nice tool for easy plot devices.

Overall, I don't think it's that much different from the main cleric, except that the spontaneous cures is castrated: I feel it's worse than the base cleric.

Just my two cents.

Here's my alternate cleric, the Devoted, a totally spontaneous divine caster:

Attachments

• Devoted.doc
    93.5 KB · Views: 71

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
The augury description seems incomplete. Is there a difference between the three alternatives mentioned? And I don't understand what you mean by "A prudent DM may wish to make useful."

I don't like the healing touch/cursed glare abilities you describe.

Instead of healing touch, I'd suggest two possibilities:

1. Use the paladin lay on hands ability (cha bonus x level)

or

2. Spontaneously swap prepared spells for spells in the Healing Domain (cure light/cure moderate/cure serious/cure critical/mass cure light/heal/regenerate/mass cure critical/mass heal). This is pretty much what the cleric does now.

Instead of cursed glare, I'd suggest

1. Pronounce Curse: As a standard action you may curse a visible target within 60 feet. The victim takes a -2 penalty to attacks, saves, ability checks, skill checks, and weapon damage rolls for 1 hour. Will save (DC 10 + 1/2 class level + Cha modifier) negates. You may use this ability a number of times equal to 3 plus your charisma modifier. Pronounce Curse is a mind affecting, language dependent compulsion (fear) effect. An effect which removes a curse will remove its effects.

or

2. Allow the prophet to spontaneously substitute spells for ones from the destruction domain (inflict light wounds/shatter/contagion/inflict critical wounds/mass inflict light wounds/harm/disintegrate/earthquate/implosion).

Pronounce Curse is based on the Hexblade's class ability. The Hexblade ability increases in frequency (1/day at 1st to 5/day at 17th level) and intensity (-2 penalties at 1st to -6 penalties at 19th level) as well as by difficulty of DC (10 + 1/2 class level + Cha modifier). So it increases three ways based on level.

Rebuke undead, in contrast, basically allows you, 3 + cha mod times per day, to turn 1 undead creature of your CR. It really only increases one way based on level, and affects a very limited number of creatures. I decided, therefore, to weaken the pronounce curse ability- it is not a free action and it cannot affect certain types of creatures.

Remove ads