• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Initiative System

Traxe

First Post
One of the problems I have with the current D&D initiative system is that it is very static. The first round of combat is fantastic as PCs scramble, dodge, weave, jump, charge, and generally thrust themselves into action. The 2nd round of combat and subsequent rounds of combat are very linear and predictable. The BBEG goes on initiative 10 (or after Thungut the elven barbarian) and the PCs plan their actions based on that very metagame information.

Thus, I'd like to shake things up a bit and make each round of combat a lot more dynamic, chaotic, and unpredictable. One of the ideas that I wanted to incorporate was rolling initiative each round. However, that is very cumbersome, time extensive, and takes away from the fluidity of combat. So I think I came up with a system that accomplishes what I want without being too aggressive towards time and combat simulation.

Materials needed: 1 standard deck of cards.

1. Assign each player a single card (do not use the Jokers)
  2. Assign each player an additional instance of their card for each +2 initiative they possess. (For example, the rogue is assigned the Aces card. The rogue has a total of +6 initiative. Therefore the rogue is assigned three additional aces (6/2 = 3) for a total of four aces.)
  3. DM employs the same instructions to the NPCs, enemies, etc.
  4. Remove any cards not used.
  5. Shuffle cards.
  6. Start Combat round and draw a card. The PC/NPC that card is assigned to performs their actions. Repeat until all cards from the deck are gone.
  7. End of Combat round, reshuffle deck and repeat Step 6.

Players that have multiple cards act only on their first card drawn. Any subsequent cards drawn for that player are discarded when they are drawn.

Optional Rule (not too sure how this would actually play out in game):
  • Each card represents a single action/attack (not including special actions).
    • Assigned cards would equal: 1 + (Initiative modifier/2) + (number of actions/attacks).
  • PCs/NPCs would perform a single action when their card comes up, and would have to wait until their next card comes up to perform any additional actions/attacks (not including special actions)

The advantages to this system (not including the optional rule):
  • Other than the first round of combat, it removes initiative calculation, waiting on players to roll, trying to determine the new order of initiative, etc.
  • Easily adaptable for small or large parties.
  • Once the initial PC deck is made it can be used over and over again without recalibrating the number of cards available for each player.
  • Makes each round dynamic and different from the first round, providing PCs (and DMs) with an element of uncertainty in combat.
  • Characters with a Dex penalty do not suffer the "penalty" in initiative.
  • Characters with an initiative bonus still benefit from said bonus (in having the chance to have their initiative card appear sooner rather than later).
  • Still random.
  • Quick to implement for each round.

The disadvantages to this system:
  • New initiative each round still adds to the length of combat.
  • Characters with a Dex penalty do not suffer the "penalty" in initiative.
  • It may become bloated with PCs/NPCs that have a high initiative bonus.

Furthermore, this is easily implemented via Excel for those that prefer digital management. To implement in excel:
  1. Create two columns - column A labeled PC/NPC, column B labeled Random.
  2. Write the PC/NPC in column A each time they would have an initiative card. (For example, the rogue from earlier who had 4 initiative cards would have their name written down four times).
  3. In column B next to each PC/NPC name entered you would enter: =RAND()
  4. Verify each PC/NPC name has the formula from Step 3 next to it.
  5. Highlight column A and column B
  6. Select Sort
  7. Select the check box "my data has headers"
  8. Sort By Column B, Order smallest to largest
  9. Start combat round, going from the top of Column A in the order they were sorted.
  10. To start another combat round just enter "x" in any blank cell (this makes the RAND() function generate new random numbers) and repeat Step 6-8. (I recommend making a "Sort" macro).

Result: you have a list of PC/NPC names that have been ordered in a completely random method based on their initiative.

I'll be testing this out with my group this weekend. At some point I'll probably be testing out the Optional Rule as well. Thoughts/comments/critiques welcome.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
I like the idea, but I think it would get cumbersome with a large group of enemies. I really like the idea of each round the order being different

Lehrbuch

First Post
Materials needed: 1 standard deck of cards...

The general idea is kind of elegant, but for me it would require a bit too much buggering about between rounds to be viable. Especially with large groups of NPCs/monsters. However, I suppose "squads" of monsters could share a card. After all, I play with "squads" of NPCs/monsters sharing their initiative roll normally. Also, as you note it could be easily automated if one was inclined.

A couple of other problems:
  1. Seems to require much fiddling around if new PCs, NPCs, or monsters arrive or are summoned part way through an encounter. Whereas, under the normal rules you just simply roll an initiative dice and slot the new characters into the initiative sequence.
  2. As you say, it doesn't account for characters with negative Initiative modifiers.
  3. The fact that the PCs (and NPCs and monsters) can plan and time actions in the context of a predictable initiative sequence is a *feature* of the normal rules, for me.
  4. With large encounters it could be become confusing whether everyone has had a turn or not in a round. (Have we drawn a card for everyone, or is someone's card still stuck in the remainder of the deck).

Last edited:

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Also, what do you do for characters that have advantage on initiative, such as high level barbarians? I kind of like this idea a lot though.

dave2008

Legend
For negative numbers:
Everyone starts with 4 cards: add for positive and subject for negative
Advantage: increase the number of cards by 50%?

Traxe

First Post
I will be taking advantage of grouping (i.e. all the goblin archers share initiative, orc berserkers share initiative, etc). That will alleviate some of the large combat issues.

1. For summoned creatures I would either: a) have them act on the same round as their summoner, or b) attack as soon as they arrive and then incorporate them into the initiative deck for the following round. For new PCs/NPCs/etc... there really isn't any difference in how they are handled than normal. Normal = roll their initiative and they take their turn on their initiative for the next round. The alternative system = determine their cards and insert them into the deck for the next round. Not too much of a difference.

2. One possible solution for a character with an initiative penalty is: when their card is drawn they have to wait until the very next card is drawn (whether the next card is someone's action or a card that will be discarded). Each -1 penalty to initiative = waiting an additional card. I'm not sure if that is a good idea though. It may be difficult to implement and it may be too much of a penalty.

3. True. For me, however, it is something I'd like to experiment with changes.

4. I don't think for players they'll miss out, after all... currently players keep track on whether they had a turn or not. For DMs, however, that may present a problem. Maybe have two discard piles... one for cards that were action cards (i.e. the PC/NPC took a turn when that card was drawn) and the other for cards that are "discarded." It would provide a fairly quick reference if you need to check whether anyone was missed. And at the end of the round the two discard piles can be combined and shuffled.

For excel, I plan on simply highlighting the PC/NPC name in excel when they take their turn.

Traxe

First Post
Also, what do you do for characters that have advantage on initiative, such as high level barbarians? I kind of like this idea a lot though.

I'm not running 5E so I'm not exactly sure what advantage on initiative provides. If you could elaborate I may be able to address it.

Hawk Diesel

Adventurer
Oh, sorry. Advantage is when you get to roll twice and take the higher number. Disadvantage is rolling twice and take the lower number.

Traxe

First Post
For negative numbers:
Everyone starts with 4 cards: add for positive and subject for negative
Advantage: increase the number of cards by 50%?

The only issue I have with this solution is that negative initiative is a bit uncommon. I'm not sure I'd want such a drastic change to the base alternative system to address something that will only present itself once in awhile. Unless you have a PC with a negative initiative (which I don't think I've had in a very long time in my group).

I'm actually inclined to not have negative initiative in this initiative system. Dexterity is already a powerhouse stat and having a negative Dexterity already impacts in other areas that do effect the PC. That may be enough for me. Plus, I think that Intelligence also plays into reaction though that isn't represented in D&D.

However, I realize that the system will need to account negative initiative. I also realize it will have to account for spells like Haste and Slow. Brainstorming commencing.

Last edited:

Remove ads