• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Magic System

rogueboy

First Post
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, and if it's not, I apologize.

What I'm looking for is an alternative to the Vancian system. The group I play with has come to the conclusion that selecting spells (especially for a Cleric-type, who can prepare any spells that appear on their list each day) takes far too long, and I would like to get away from things that are as strictly limiting as the 9-level system written in the PHB.

I have considered trying to figure out some variation on the psionics system (either 3.0 or 3.5), but I'm not sure how to approach that in such a way to solve either, let alone both, of the issues I mentioned above. I've found references to the Dynamic Spellcasting system used in Advanced d20 (which involves saving against nonlethal damage as the limiting factor as opposed to having limited spell slots). The problem is that all I can find are references to it (such as Wikipedia), which doesn't explain how the system works, it just gives an overview of the system.

If anyone can explain the Dynamic Spellcasting system or point me in the direction of another system that might address my group's issues, please let me know. I'd rather avoid homebrewing something entirely from scratch, but am willing to modify things slightly to improve balance or usability if necessary. Thanks!

I wrote the Elements of Magic - Revised system for E.N. Publishing. It lets you design your own spells, and it is a spell point system, so admittedly I'm not sure if it's easier to use than Vancian. But it's more flexible and fun, in my opinion.

Basically, as you level, you get access to an increasing number of 'spell lists,' which include action types, like Attack, Create, and Move, or elements, like Fire, Nature, or Time. You have a handful of spells that you can cast as a standard action, or you can concoct a spell on the fly by spending two full rounds.

You have an amount of magic points, and the more powerful the spell, the more it costs.

If you want a simpler solution, maybe one of the options from Unearthed Arcana could help, particularly "Recharge Magic." It was all open content, so it's online here: Variant Magic Index :: d20srd.org

Last edited:

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Let me second RW's proposal of Elements of Magic. Very cool and extraordinarily dynamic system. And, since I had nothing to do with the production of the work, my opinion is purely as a reader/player who has used the system. It is definately worth the read and the buy (especially since I think I got my copy on ENWorlds $1 sale - although it is certainly worth full price and more!)

The things I like most about it are:
1. No more pre-written "spells." You want a spell of a certain power with specific effects? Great! Design it! Then cast it two round later!

2. Spell point system is much nicer than vancian. Hands down.

3. It is very thorough. I like thorough. It means less loopholes later on.

I will say one thing about it, though. The learning curve is steep. You almost need to read it, then play a one-shot just to get the feel of it. But once you do, it is well worth the time spent learning it.

genshou

First Post
I will say one thing about it, though. The learning curve is steep. You almost need to read it, then play a one-shot just to get the feel of it. But once you do, it is well worth the time spent learning it.
*nods sagely to the above* The learning curve is a very harsh slope. I recommend reading the book cover to cover at least twice (in addition to any skimming and cross-referencing you choose to do) before running a game with it, and I DEFINITELY recommend never creating high-level characters until you're completely used to the rules.

I have been an avid fan and user of Elements of Magic - Revised Edition for three and a half years now. The system has its particular quirks to get used to, but overall it is a much improved way to deal with magic across the board. I always got tired of how every spell had its own rules in the RAW, and its own bonuses to this or that per caster level that varied with each individual spell you cast. Casting classes were also vastly different, and it was impossible to make some styles of caster because of class spell list limitations. EoMR can mimic nearly any style of magic, and can give magic a lot cooler and richer feel in a campaign setting. For instance, my Age of Elements homebrew setting would never have gotten a chance at a second run if I were still using Vancian magic. I needed something with more of a primal feel, a lot of focus on the elements, and a little bit of a Final Fantasy flair.

Elements of Magic isn't for everyone, sadly. Check out the reviews of it to see if it's the kind of magic system that would work for you and your gaming table.

rogueboy

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions to check out Elements of Magic. From what I've read (haven't bought it yet), it looks like it isn't going to help us simplify things (major goal, since we have a new player). However, it did get me thinking about putting together something along similar lines.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Thanks for the suggestions to check out Elements of Magic. From what I've read (haven't bought it yet), it looks like it isn't going to help us simplify things (major goal, since we have a new player). However, it did get me thinking about putting together something along similar lines.

Honestly, if simplification is your goal, then my advice would be to do away with casters completely and just go psionics. Or, have that player use psionics until they master it.

Realistically, psionics is a much easier system because it has augmentation. The upside is that it is all available free in the SRD. OH! And if you register over at Dreamscarred Press' forums you can get Untapped Potential (One of the best non-WotC publications ever) for FREE.

Really, that will simplify the game. And outside of the mental preconceptions that we bring to the game, the RP side is similar. I've seen magic users act like traditional "psions" and I've seen psionic users RPed as traditional "magic users."

Remove ads