Alternative Magic System

Crowsion

Explorer
A little while ago I was big into the flavor of Psionics but I didn't care much for the mechanic of power points. So I did something very similar to what you guys have already established. I took a base of 14 and added the amount of Power Points it would cost to it. The classes that use this mechanic use the spells known mechanic as well. I then followed the slope to get the DC for level 0 powers. These values are what I arrived with.

Level 0 - 13 DC
Level 1 - 15 DC
Level 2 - 17 DC
Level 3 - 19 DC
Level 4 - 21 DC
Level 5 - 23 DC
Level 6 - 25 DC
Level 7 - 27 DC
Level 8 - 29 DC
Level 9 - 31 DC
*For every casting attempt increase the DC by 5.
*This also works with metamagic feats.

It doesn't matter if the casting succeeds, the DC always increases, although, I made some feats to help alleviate this. I'll post them if this becomes a well received idea.

Continuing the example from another post; a character with a Spellcaster level of 15 with 28 Int (+7 = 1d20 + 22) is casting a level 7 Spell vs. a Base DC of 27.

1st cast DC: First one is free (2nd one is twice the price, jk)
2nd cast SC DC: 27 = 20% failure
3rd cast SC DC: 32 = 45% failure
4th cast SC DC: 37 = 80% failure
5th cast SC DC: 42 = 95% failure
*Up to maximum casts equal to Int modifier (including the first).

Looking at a Level 15 sorcerer, they are able to cast 3 spells per day, more of they have a high stat. This is exactly where this method gets difficult as well (80% on the 4th cast). These percentages are actually deflated because the Int modifier is incorporated. So just like the other mechanic a high Int leads to more spells per day.

Last edited:

Otterscrubber

First Post
I don't really want to revamp the entire magic system. I just don't like the idea that spells get wiped once cast. I'm trying to figure out a work around for it.

I agree, I also would like to see some type of mana system for casters. That they "forget" a spell has never sat well with me. But having some magical reserve that gets drained based on the power of spells they cast does sit well with me.

What about a caster has a mana pool equal to their total levels of spells combined. They can then cast from this pool in any amount/combination they see fit. Between combats they can take a short rest that restores a number of spell levels equal to a spell craft check with a full 8 hours restoring it all?

This is off the top of my head, but discuss and chop up as you see fit. FYI, I have recently discovered Pathfinder and like it immensely.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
I had an idea for a spellcaster who didn't forget the Spells he learned but paid for them in Hit Points - Spell level x3 if I recall right. Casting Magic Missile would cost 3 HP for example, fireball 9, etc, etc. To compensate this spellcaster would recieve d8 HP instead of d4.

Mercutio01

First Post
I had an idea for a spellcaster who didn't forget the Spells he learned but paid for them in Hit Points - Spell level x3 if I recall right. Casting Magic Missile would cost 3 HP for example, fireball 9, etc, etc. To compensate this spellcaster would recieve d8 HP instead of d4.

Something like that but using nonlethal damage would be kind of cool.

N'raac

First Post
Something like that but using nonlethal damage would be kind of cool.

Could make it 1d6 per spell level rather than a flat 3 points to add some uncertainty to the mix. I prefer the idea of nonlethal damage over lethal, perhaps with some potential for limited lethal damage once the damage knocks the character out.

A mana pool system might be easier to implement with sorcerors and other spontaneous casters than with wizards and other casters who prepare spells beforehand. Give mana pools based on existing spells per level to both, and the wizard becomes a spontaneous caster with a much vaster repertoire, so why play a sorceror?

INT modifiers are an issue, as well. If they don't scale, any bonus which is meaningful at mid to high levels will likely be overpowered at lower levels. An INT bonus of, say, +1 point per level at an 18 INT means the 18 INT character gets 1 extra point (1 extra L1 spell) at 1st level, but 2 bonus spells at 2nd. At 4th, he's getting 2 nbonus 2nd leverl spells, and at 18th he gets 2 bonus 9th level spells (or a mixture of lower level spells). 1 spell of each of 1st to 4th level, which the 18 grants at 7th level, is 10 bonus mana points.

It seems like a mana pool which enhances spellcasting versatility would need to come with a reduction in power elsewhere, just as the sorceror can cast more spells and need not select them in advance, but pays for this with a reduced repertoire and slower spell level advancement. A Wizard with a mana pool should be closer to a sorceror in spellcasting power - he gains a lot more versatility (how much depends on whether his entire spellbook is available at all times, or whether he has to choose which spells are available much like he currently chooses zero level spells), but he doesn't gain bloodline powers.

I suspect the result of a simplistic "1 spell level = 1 mana, and you get mana equal to your current spells per day" would be a tendency to use only higher level spells. Rather than cast my six L1 spells, I'll cast two more third level spells, for example.

I don't like the idea of "rest for an hour and get substantial recovery" as suggested above. A first level wizard with a 16 INT (pretty conservative) and 1 rank has +7 Spellcraft - I suspect recovering 8 - 27 Mana means a full recharge. He's probably mid-levels before an hour's break isn't a full power restore.

Last edited:

Crowsion

Explorer
Sounds like a bloodmage to me, cool idea. But, what if you gave a spetrate pool gain much like Hp are. You can keep Hp at d6 + Con but a d[4, 6, or 8] + Int for mana.

Just my 2 cents.

SKid4

Explorer
Here are some ideas that aren't too tracking intensive. I've never tried any of them.

1. Remove the 6th- to 9th-level spells from play and keep the associated spell slots for casting lower-level spells. (From d20 Modern, but without cutting out the higher-level slots.)

2. If a spellcaster reserves 4-6 spell slots for casting a single spell, that spell can be cast once per encounter for the rest of the day. (Requires defining an encounter.)

3. Reusing a spent spell slot temporarily reduces your caster level by some amount, and a caster level of 0 means losing your ability to cast spells. (Requires defining the amount reduced and a recharge time to regain your full caster level.)

4. Spells only have to be prepared once per day and are cast spontaneously. (From a sidebar in Unearthed Arcana—not in the SRD.)

Split the Hoard

Split the Hoard
Negotiate, demand, or steal the loot you desire!

A competitive card game for 2-5 players
Remove ads