• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Magical Bonus rules for weapons

Corwyn

First Post
I was reading a post about fixing things wrong with Pathfinder when I read the following post of GMforPowergamers :

"I would do away with +x as an item in and of itself, and replace with the idea of named items...

ex:

The Light bringer is a magic sword that sheds light like a torch and deals your choice of +1d4 radiant damage or +1d6 fire damage on a hit. It can 3x per day heal a touch ally 1d6hp, if you have the paladin's aura of courage then anyone in the light of the torch benefits instead of it's normal range and once per day the paladin can use one of those d6 healing;s to heal all alies in light 1d6 instead of a touched ally.

The Lava Axe is a magic axe that deals +1d6 fire damage on a hit and can cut through any non magical wall or barrier. when you crit with this weapon you deal extra d6's of fire equal to the crit multiplier.

Then I would have all 'magic weapons' have a + to hit equal to 1/4 the users base attack...

so Light bringer in the hands of a 1st level paladin is +0 to hit, in the hands of a 14th level paladin is +3 to hit in the hands of a 20th level mage it is a +2 to hit... magic is a force multiplier you need to be able to use it best...

I would have magic armor work similar but instead of upping your AC I would grant DR, equal to half your Base attack maybe... "

Emphasis mine

I toyed around with the idea even thinking of strength lvl's of weapons could differ so High power items divide Bab by 4 and lover power items by 5 or 6. I did round the numbers up or down to the closest whole number.

And it works out great for the fighter and still ok for a cleric type, and a mage shouldn't have to resort to melee combat. But does it shaft the rogue to much?

Anyone have any thoughts on this idea? Good/bad?

Remove ads