• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Metamagic - slots instead of levels

Theovis

Explorer
Here's an idea for an alternative way of doing metamagic feats. I think I brought this up on the board a million years ago, but I'm starting to give it some thought again.

To metamagic a spell, you allow additional slots to be used up rather than spell levels. So, for example, if you wanted to empower a 3rd level spell, you could use three 3rd level spell slots, rather than one 5th.

It's a different kind of trade off, but low level spellcasters can play with feats. Like a heavily armored fighter/wizard able casting a couple 1st level spells stilled, etc.

Anyone see any potential abuses with this?

Crothian

First Post
It favors sorceres forst of all. How do clerics metamagic domain spells? they only have one domain slot per l;evel? It also greatly favorers high attributes allowing metamagic feats to be used before they are supposed to be used. A first level Sorcerer with a 20 Cha can use quicken spell.

Theovis

Explorer
Crothian said:
It favors sorceres forst of all. How do clerics metamagic domain spells? they only have one domain slot per l;evel? It also greatly favorers high attributes allowing metamagic feats to be used before they are supposed to be used. A first level Sorcerer with a 20 Cha can use quicken spell.

Except that Quicken Spell is useless for sorcerors, but your point is made.

I'm not certain that's bad, though...that if a sorceror wants to, he can blow all his first level spell slots on a maximized Magic Missile. Woop de do, 5 points of damage! ;)

I'm also not suggesting that this necessarily replace the current system, but supplement it. Really, it'd be a disadvantage to Evokers, who are often better off with an empowered Fireball than a Cone of Cold, not to menation Cleric Domain Spells.

EOL

First Post
I like the fact that it makes metamagic feats useful sooner, but I still think there are some definite balance issues, both good and bad. If you're serious I would try it out in your campaign and see how it runs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads