• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative Monk Weapons

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You mean digital/electronic? Not that I know of.

However, I can recommend the Diagram Group's Weapon Encyclopedia for raw historical info and (oddly) Palladium's Compendium of Weapons, Armor and Castles.

The niftiest thing about Palladium's book is that weapon stats are presented in such a way s to be either directly useable or translatable into most RPG systems. It also contains a metric ton of weapons from which to choose.

Celebrim

Legend
kama - western equivalent is a hand axe or sickle
nunchaku - western equivalent is light flail
quarterstaff - quarterstaff is the western equivalent
sai - There is no direct western equivalent, but a dagger is probably a reasonable comparison. Main gauche is used in a similar way, but is usually paired with a rapier rather than a second dagger.
siangham - No direct western comparison

Probably the closest D&D analogue is the Druid weapon list: club, dagger, dart, quarterstaff, scimitar, sickle, shortspear, sling, and spear. Drop scimitar for a hand axe or falx, as it should be in the first place (its a place holder for the depricated Khopesh, which itself was a place holder for ancient Gaelic falx and derived weapons), and you'll have a reasonably good list.

Personally I hate monks, and my advice would be drop Monk for Fighter, and add a feat tree for Monk style fighting - flurry of blows, superior unarmed attack damage, etc.

Remove ads