• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternative rules to allow advancement beyond 20th level without being "uber"

Matthias

Explorer
What do you think of these house rules?

This system is an attempt to make it practical for characters to reach beyond 20th level without getting absurdly powerful. This is done by essentially elevating archetypes to work almost like separate classes in their own right. In other words, all the archetypes of a given class are treated as "sub-classes" bound up together under the umbrella of that class, sharing much in common with one another but carrying their own class levels (but without munchkinistic super-high BABs, skill bonuses, or save bonuses).

First, to justify all this kludgery: the main intent is for a would-be "epic-level" character to surpass the conventional 20-level limit on any given class without having to resort to conventional multiclassing, and without expand on the existing class by adding actual new levels (and new class features to fill them up with).

Part of this system is that it makes archetypes mandatory (but without excluding the standard version of any class). When a Paladin with the Hospitaler archetype or a Bard with the Detective archetype levels up, he does so as a Paladin (hospitaler) or as a Bard (detective), not simply as a Paladin or a Bard.

Accordingly, the "standard version" of a given class is treated as just another archetype (referred to as the Standard archetype of that class). Thus, every character with a class is also considered to have an archetype. For example, when a Fighter with the "Standard" archetype (that is, having all the standard abilities of a Fighter) advances in level, he does so as a Fighter (standard), and this is equivalent in scope to gaining levels as a Fighter (archer) or Fighter (brawler).

Now there are two kinds of leveling combinations, the normal kind (multiclassing) and multityping. Multiclassing is the usual combination of two or more classes, say Fighter (mobile fighter) / Rogue (acrobat). Multityping consists of combining of two or more archetypes of the same class, such as Fighter (archer) / Fighter (crossbowman).

Multiclassing follows all the standard multiclassing rules--all basic features stack (that is: hit dice/hit points, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skill ranks, character feats, and so on) according to every class (not archetype) the character has levels in. Both classes must have an archetype (even if it is only the Standard one for that class). The chief restriction on multiclassing is that a character can only learn 10 total levels of secondary classes ('secondary' defined as any non-favored class one has levels in). The aforementioned Fighter (mobile fighter) / Rogue (acrobat), assuming Fighter is his favored class, can advance in Fighter indefinitely, but can gain only 10 total levels in Rogue (acrobat), or a combination of 10 total levels in Rogue and Wizard, Rogue and Wizard and Cleric, etc. I would also be wary of any proposed game effect that would bypass this 10 level limit for secondary classes. There is a feat that allows humans to gain a second favored (primary) class, and that is far as it should go, I think.

Multityping does not stack basic features within the same class; only the highest-level archetype's features count. (Each archetype's levels still count toward total character level and XP needed to level.) However, a multityped character gains the substituted abilities for both archetypes, even if they would both substitute for the same standard class ability. The normal multiclassing, level-stacking rules lead to huge power imbalances near and beyond 20th level, and the non-stacking restriction is meant to address this. Multityping keeps BAB, saves, etc., more or less under control, while still allowing characters to learn new tricks.

For example, a Fighter (archer) 15 / Fighter (crossbowman) 10 has the BAB, base save bonuses, skill points, hit points, character feat slots, class skills set, and so on of a standard 15th-level Fighter, has all Archer-specific abilities up to 15th level (Hawkeye, Trick Shot, Expert Archer, Safe Shot, Evasive Archer), gains all Crossbowman-specific abilities up to 10th level (Deadshot, Crossbow Expert, Improved Deadshot, Quick Sniper), and of course gains any standard Fighter abilities that both archetypes have in common up to 15th level (in this case Fighter Bonus Feats). There is no limit to the number of total levels a character can gain in different archetypes of his favored class (usually the first class he gains a level in). Taking levels in multiple archetypes of a secondary class still contribute toward the 10-level limit for secondary classes unless the character is allowed two favored classes (such as by a feat or other ability).

Multityping also applies when a character takes levels in a class's Standard archetype in combination with any other archetype of that class, for example Ranger (standard) combined with Ranger (spirit ranger). In these cases, the named archetype's alternative abilities also do not supersede those of the Standard archetype; the multityped character gains both in parallel (as allowed by individual level). For example, a multityped Ranger (standard 4 / spirit ranger 4) can have both an animal companion (or hunting companion bond) and a spirit bond.

Spells gained and spells known do not stack within the same class, but only overlap. A multityped Oracle (stargazer 12 / planar 8) has the spells of a 12th-level oracle, not a 20th-level one.

Under the standard rules, a 20th-level Monk (martial artist) who wants to keep leveling up has to gain levels in *something* that would let him remain true to his character concept (no ki, unarmed combat expert). Core classes such as Fighter or Rogue, or perhaps a Monk-ish prestige class (if he qualifies) would let him add to what he already has while remaining sort of martial artist-y (though with varying amounts of non-Monkish baggage). But if he could simply adopt more Monk abilities that supplemented what he already had, he could stay within his class and remain true to his character concept. Here is where multityping comes in.

Mechanically, the Monk (martial artist) character starts over as a Monk 1 but leveling up as a different archetype, perhaps becoming a Monk (martial artist) 20 / Monk (master of many styles) 1. This Monk character could progress indefinitely through many Monk archetypes, retaining all the basic abilities of a 20th-level Monk but gaining access to all the different alternative class features offered by the various archetypes. But in order to advance his BAB beyond the normal Monk limit of +15, however, he would still need to multiclass into a non-Monk class such as Fighter (and then only up to 10 levels for a secondary class).

To keep even Multityping under control, it has to have its own "soft" limit of 20 levels' worth of basic ability improvements. This means that the Fighter (archer) / Fighter (crossbowman) will stop gaining improvements to his BAB once he has 20 total levels of Fighter archetypes, even though he can learn all the Fighter archetypes in the world if he is able and willing to. Fighter still maxes out at +20 BAB, +12/+6/+6 base save bonuses, 11 fighter bonus feats, and 20d10 base hit points, and that's all there is to it. Only by multiclassing into a secondary class can these limits be surpassed, and multiclassing requires that a character learn whole new ways of thinking versus the minor adaptations required for multityping (hence the 10-level limit).

Nezkrul

First Post
what's wrong with simply updating and adapting the epic level handbook to PF? That will take just as much time as figuring out everything you presented and beyond..

Adimus

First Post
Have you tried the Mythic Adventures playtest over at paizo's website? It's a very elegant solution to epic level play. I know I sound like a Paizo spokesperson but I absolutely loathed ELH for the same reasons you did, but from the playtest it looks pretty cool. The 2nd tier ability is a bit much (gives you two initiatives during the round for so many rounds), and i suspect they might change that, but other than that its has a lot of flavor without too much 'uber'. Getting ready to inject it into my game, actually.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
I disliked the epic rules for 3.0/3.5. Here is the system I used instead:

Characters who achieve more than 20th level are considered epic and may take advantage of the rules below.

Derived Abilities
Any character with more than 20 class levels may choose the most beneficial 20 levels to calculate derived abilities. Derived abilities are Base Attack Bonus, Caster Level, and Saving Throws.

The character may choose a different set of class levels for each derived ability. Selecting best BAB and Caster Level choices are straightforward. Saving throws can be a little more complex. Below is a procedure that optimises the bonus.

For each saving throw, follow the procedure below to find the optimal class mix from the earned levels of a character:

Choose the first level of all classes with that saving throw favoured.

Move as many of the classes assigned in step 1 to 2nd level as possible.

Increase the assigned classes in 2-level jumps to complete as much of the level selection as possible.

Add 3-level groupings of non-favoured classes to complete the 20 level progression.

Top up the character to 20 with remaining levels, as necessary. (This step is cosmetic and has no effect on the saving throw)

Now that the 20 levels are chosen, calculate the saving throw total as per the Player's Handbook. Class abilities, spells, and items continue to modify derived abilities normally.

Example
A 12th level Wizard, 20th level cleric, 5th level Fighter would have a BAB of +16 (+5 from Fighter 5, +11 from Cleric 15). The character has a cleric caster level of 20 and a Wizard caster level is 12.

The base saving throws are Fortitude +14 (+3 from Fighter 2, +11 from Cleric 18), Reflex Save of +6 (6 from Cleric 18), and Will +14 (+11 from Cleric 18, +3 from Wizard 2).

Classes
There is a limit to the power any class can achieve. Classes are limited by their published level limits. Any base class at its maximum level is ignored for Favoured Class calculations. If no favoured class remains for the character (i.e. A Dwarf with Fighter 20), the player may assign a new one. A character can only have one instance of each base class. Additional prestige classes may become available.

Magic Item Creation
The 10x multiplier for the creation of epic items is removed. Items with epic properties such as +6 enhancement bonus require an epic creator.

Epic Feats
Epic Feats can be acquired by epic characters using their general feats granted every three character levels. Some feats (such as epic spellcasting) may no longer make sense and will be removed.

Epic Spellcating
Epic spell casting does not exist. It is possible to create spell slots through the Extra Spell feat higher than 9th level to extend the use of metamagic feats, but no spells greater than 9th level can be created.

Areas of Note
Compared to the original system, this system reduces the growth in power of spellcasters by dumping Epic Spellcasting and capping Caster Level at 20. A few spells like Polar Ray are reduced in high end effectiveness. (Normally it can reach 25d6 damage. This change limits it to 20d6 damage). Other bonuses to caster level like that provided by the Strand of Prayer Beads or Ioun Stone may push Caster Level past 20.

Attack bonus, caster level, and saving throws grow much more slowly after 20th. Creatures and epic effects will be toned down to compensate.

Character growth after 20 generally reflects a character widening its capability rather than becoming stronger in a specialty.

Mordikenn

First Post
I toyed around with creating my own set of epic rules for a long time because I disliked the ELH so much for 3rd edition... After a while and play testing it with a variety of characters I realized a few things from simply a math standpoint:

item bonuses get ridiculous if you let them scale up past their regular maximum values. This throws off ALL KINDS of things about the system. Even with the x10 epic gold modifier (which I didn't want to use at first, but eventually did), it only delays the inevitable. The difference between having a particular item and not having one is character-breaking... If you have a Masterwork sword as opposed to a +3 sword your character can still function, but if you have a Masterwork sword as opposed to a +10 vorpal sword your character is intensely crippled. It'd be surprising for them to deal 1/3rd of the damage they normally could. It applies to every item with a static bonus in epic levels, especially Cloak of Resistance.

The die range for failing a save is usually somewhere from 1-8 or 1-10, and you have to keep it there as the monsters advance with players so their poison/ breath weapon/ etc doesn't become laughable or too deadly. The problem is that you have to balance it around the characters having a +10 or +13 cloak of resistance now, so if a character chooses ANY OTHER SORT of cloak, they will start failing all of their saves without exception.

It can really benefit your game to simply limit items to their regular bonus maximums forever. It feels lame though, especially to the players.

There's also a real strain on development time because you have to make an appealing option for every character. Some things don't scale at all into epic levels, like anything that deals a static number of damage dice (some special abilities and especially environmental effects like fire and falling). I ended up making more than sixty epic feats, and this was for 3.5 where there weren't as diverse roles for characters.

Caster scaling is something that needs to be addressed, because leaving them with level 9 spells doesn't scale at all. Their lower level spells become useless, and eventually level 9 spells become useless (especially nukes). In Neverwinter Nights 2, in epic levels they let casters have a static +1 spell save DC for every 3 levels over 20 which works out pretty well mathematically. They still didn't solve the caster level limit on spells or allow higher level than 9th spells. Level 10 and higher spells require a lot of development and playtesting, if you go that way, so I don't recommend it. Simply giving them higher level spell slots to metamagic into is probably the easiest solution that doesn't have too many bad consequences. You may also need to let Intensify Spell stack (I forget whether it already does or not).

Good luck working on your system, I eventually decided I probably wouldn't ever use mine above level 25 despite all the time and balancing I put into it.

Matthias

Explorer
The general idea behind the system I posted originally was to treat each archetype as its own separate class co-equal with the 'null' archetype (class without archetype). Characters would be able to level up in archetypes, and even combine different archetypes of the same class. This way you could have something like a "level 50 Ranger" without having to expand the Ranger class with 50 levels' worth of unique abilities. The unique alternative abilities of a different archetype are what you gain for those extra levels, increasing versatility (giving you more tricks and tools to draw from) without increasing your bonuses to absurdly high levels. Given enough levels, every character in a party can achieve self-sufficiency with 20 levels in each staple class but there is still enough variation in the Pathfinder rules as written that no two Disgusting Characters(tm) can be easily confused. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads