• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E [Alternative View] 4E is D&D's Mid-Life Crisis

jeff37923

First Post
I found this while rummaging through forums and the idea is an interesting one worth considering.

http://www.d20haven.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=58

Over on TheRPGSite, I made the off-reference to the Talking Heads song Once in a Lifetime by quoting "Same as it ever was." This was to indicate the feeling that some folks seem to have the 4e is the same game it has always been.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the lyrics to see if anyone had a reference to what the song was actually about. This led me to this passage in the Font of all Internet Knowledge - Wikipedia:
With the lyrics "Letting the days go by, let the water hold me down", the song has a rather existential vibe to it, although it is usually interpreted to be a song dealing with the middle age crisis and the inevitable sacrifice of youthful ideals and dreams for conventional success

Information on mid-life crisis: again, from FoaIK:
Midlife crisis is a term used to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is typically felt in the "middle years" of life, as people sense the passing of youth and the imminence of old age....The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day to day life or situation, such as in career, marriage, or romantic relationships.
This led me to consider this fact: D&D is going through its mid life crisis. It's 34 to 37 years old. It's making significant changes in core aspects. 4e is the red convertible sports car. 4e is the twenty-something mistress. 4e is the need to feel youthful in the face of age.

Yet another analogy...

Old wife: Gnomes -- Wise, cozy, handy.
New wife: Tieflings -- Sexy, dangerous, satan-curious.

Old car: Half orks -- Rugged, load bearing, noth'n fancy
New car: Eladrin -- Prim, teleporting, fancy to teh max.

Old career: Exploration -- Searching, mapping, setting watch.
New career: 4venture -- Running, shouting, pushing

RigaMortus2

First Post
jeff37923 said:
This led me to consider this fact: D&D is going through its mid life crisis. It's 34 to 37 years old. It's making significant changes in core aspects. 4e is the red convertible sports car. 4e is the twenty-something mistress. 4e is the need to feel youthful in the face of age.

I think the change over from 2E to 3E is WAAAAAY more drastic than 3E to 4E. If anything, 3E would be D&D's "mid-life crisis".

WheresMyD20

First Post
RigaMortus2 said:
I think the change over from 2E to 3E is WAAAAAY more drastic than 3E to 4E. If anything, 3E would be D&D's "mid-life crisis".
Why would you say that 2e to 3e is more drastic? 4e, with its alternate races & classes, powers for all characters, alignment reworking, planar changes, and major fluff changes seems like far more of a jump than 3e was.

Rpgraccoon

First Post
WheresMyD20 said:
Why would you say that 2e to 3e is more drastic? 4e, with its alternate races & classes, powers for all characters, alignment reworking, planar changes, and major fluff changes seems like far more of a jump than 3e was.

Agreed, When it comes to fluff 3rd edition didn't change nothing much at all besides Modrons, Kobolds, & Mephits sadly to my dismay.

As for mechanics it changed quite a bit in 3rd. However, many staples remained.

Incenjucar

Legend
Alternatively: 4E is D&D finally gone off to college, able to do whatever the heck it wants, experimenting without being bound by family tradition, but guided with the lessons of its youth.

Incenjucar said:
Alternatively: 4E is D&D finally gone off to college, able to do whatever the heck it wants, experimenting without being bound by family tradition, but guided with the lessons of its youth.

So 4e is high on pot, and going through an overly-melodramatic phase it'll be profoundly embarrassed about in a few years time? ;) Maybe it'll go to spring break and flash its scaly breasts for a PCs Gone Wild video...

Remove ads