• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternatives to Animal Companion

mcgeedis

First Post
Is there a alternate druid class ability if I were to forgo having an animal companion? It is extra paperwork that I don't care for, and when there is already a large party, it can be even more time consuming in combat.

Any books out there that replace this class ability?

joshjurg

Explorer
The Shapeshift class feature is wonderful - from phb2. Complete mage has an replaces the animal companion with an elemental companion of any type. That may be easier to keep up with than a monkey or a wolf.

If you are looking for less paperwork, I really suggest shapeshift. It is a lot of fun and super simple but requires you to re-think your standard druid build a little bit.

Rhun

First Post
I'm generally not a fan of animal companions, either. As already mentioned, there are several good options to replace the animal companion in some of the books...PHB2 comes to mind. There is also the Druidic Avenger Variant from the SRD, which replaces your animal companion with fast movment and rage...there are a few other changes as well.

drdevoid

Explorer
joshjurg said:
... If you are looking for less paperwork, I really suggest shapeshift. It is a lot of fun and super simple but requires you to re-think your standard druid build a little bit.

I certainly could be wrong and I don't have the book handy, but wasn't the shapeshift variant an alternative to Wild Shape as well as Animal Companion?

I guess the question is, "Does the OP want to lose Wild Shape?" It is easier in terms of paperwork.

edit: I meant want to lose wild shape. D'oh!

Last edited:

mcgeedis

First Post
drdevoid's got it right.

I like everything about the Druid, other than animal companion. I thought there was some alternative in one of the rule books out there, I just cannot seem to find it.

Thurbane

First Post
Rhun said:
I'm generally not a fan of animal companions, either. As already mentioned, there are several good options to replace the animal companion in some of the books...PHB2 comes to mind. There is also the Druidic Avenger Variant from the SRD, which replaces your animal companion with fast movment and rage...there are a few other changes as well.
If your primary concern is less bookkeeping, Druidic Avenger is probably your best bet.

Tetsubo

First Post
Thurbane said:
If your primary concern is less bookkeeping, Druidic Avenger is probably your best bet.

I think the Shapeshift alternate class ability from the PHB II reduces the book keeping even further... you only have to really deal with a few additional bonuses...

Thurbane

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I think the Shapeshift alternate class ability from the PHB II reduces the book keeping even further... you only have to really deal with a few additional bonuses...
Hmm, I'll have to give it a re-read. I basically never play druids, so I must admit I only skimmed it once or twice.

Remove ads