• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternatives to At-Will Magic

mlund

First Post
I'd say a character with minor magic could cast a number of minor spells per day equal to his or her spellcasting attributes + level. It's high enough so that wizards won't be constantly running out, but it gives a limit still.

Attribute Modifier + Level, but yes - and have some darts. Have fun with that, Mr. Wizard. You're still not getting Quadratic Power Advancement no matter how much you hobble yourself at low levels. ;)

- Marty Lund

paladinm

First Post
I still think the answer is spontaneous casting. That way if you want to cast 12 magic missiles, you can.. but that expends your spell slots.

If you want to give mages at-wills, make them Very minor, like mage hand, light, read magic, etc. Nothing that could cause damage.

Remathilis

Legend
Side tangent: how many of you complained about Pathfinder giving away unlimited cantrips/orisons?

I have an easy solution: go back to 3e-level cantrips (acid orb: 1 attack roll/1d4 damage) and bump magic missile to proper 1st level spell (maybe 2 missiles + 1/2 levels, max 6?)

Of course, if its the IDEA that a wizard can cast light at will that gets your panties in a bunch, this ain't gonna help much...

YRUSirius

First Post
I kinda like 5E's at-will minor spells (and that magic missile is an at-will). They just need their damage output adjusted a bit.

Make their damage dice one category smaller so Radiant Lance does 1d6+Wis instead of 1d8+Wis damage, Shocking Grasp does 1d6+Int instead of 1d8+Int. A cleric with a crossbow and +1 Dex could still deal roughly the same damage but would have a higher range. Seems like a fine opportunity cost to me.

I would adjust Magic Missile to 1d6 + Int vs. AC. I'm okay with new school of thought with Magic Missile. :)

-YRUSirius

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I'm actually quite fond of the "material cost of an arrow" approach.

Also, you could look at the cleric's Channel Divinity, and then kill it and take its stuff. You have [ABILITY MODIFIER] cantrips/orisions per day (and clerics get Turn Undead as one of 'em).

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Side tangent: how many of you complained about Pathfinder giving away unlimited cantrips/orisons?

I kinda like 5E's at-will minor spells (and that magic missile is an at-will). They just need their damage output adjusted a bit.
I didn't care for at-will spells in Pathfinder either. Combat-spamming is a problem, but it's just one part of an even bigger problem for me: at-will magic use makes spellcasting too common, too ordinary, too non-magical. :)

I guess I don't mind at-will casting for things like Prestidigitation and Mage Hand, but I would still prefer the spellcaster have to make some kind of sacrifice to get to use them without limit. Maybe in exchange for his familiar? I dunno.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I prefer Mearls's originally floated idea that cantrips would be things a wizard might cast in a laboratory, some of which might have a combat application, but none of which are actual combat spells (a spell that lights fires can be used on a goblin's butt for a little bit of damage, e.g.). Supposedly they couldn't get that working in time for round 1 of the playtest, so maybe we'll see that later.

aco175

Legend
I love at-will magic, especially minor effects like mage hand and light.

I do not like MM as an at-will. Something about an auto-hit at will rubs me the wrong way. I would prefer at-will attacks with a damage type and a hit roll, and make MM better, and a 1st level spell.

Easy to house rule.

I agree with MM being moved to 1st level and have something being at-will needing a to-hit and do typed damage, assuming 5e has some sort of resistance/vulnerability. I may even get on board with Chomatic Orb being at-will dealing any of the 4 elements of damage, caster choice, but less damage. Let the caster pick but it needs a hit and does less damage then a crossbow, at least until around 5th level when they do about the same.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Maybe the game designers will move at-will spellcasting to Themes, so that those of us who prefer old-school rules will be able to ignore them. *crosses fingers*

Remove ads