• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternatives to the Death Save

brainstorm

First Post
Tried it out

Okay, I tried out my alternative system last night and I think it worked fairly well. Needs some tweaking, but it accomplished what I wanted. I had two PCs drop below 0 hp, one of them notorious for checking-out as soon as his character is incapacitated. Both of them were still involved in the combat, though in a different way, and both kept their attentions on the game. It was simple enough to implement without interrupting the combat encounter for the rest of the group.

Now, there were a couple of problems:

1. The PCs both rushed over to confront the death immediately. Then it became a slug match. Not necessarily a bad thing, but can get monotonous, defeating the purpose of this alternative.

Solutions to try: Allow a basic ranged attack for both the PC and the shade. Don't know if this will just replace the base-to-base slug match with a ranged slug match, but it could encourage the player to use terrain for cover and to be more mobile. Also, I need to keep the death shade mobile and have it try to manuevour the player into terrain that is advantageous to it.

2. The PC with the lower attack bonuses had a harder time hitting the death shade and the death shade had the same problem hitting the PC.

Solutions to try: Attacks made will use the PCs highest ability modifier.

A few more games and I should be able to work the kinks out of this to my satisfaction.

drow

Explorer
i think it would be fitting for the death shade to be a shadowfell version of the same monster which slew the PC in the first place. if you got punked by an orc, you face a shadowy, emaciated orc wielding a scythe. if you got nuked by a dragon, you face a skeletal dragon shrouded by wisps of its own former might and glory. (since it's probably not fair to make a dead guy take on a dragon by himself, adjust the dragon's stats so that its a 'normal' monster instead of a solo.)

and i'd let the PC use whatever powers he had left to him.

Remove ads