• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Alternity style mutants in spycraft?

Impeesa

Explorer
I'm thinking maybe there should be a special department for characters who come from government genetics projects. Have a list of powers and drawbacks that the character can choose from, and then calculate an ECL from those abilities (each would have a preset value, just add them all together). What do you think?

--Impeesa--

Voneth

First Post
cool idea.

In the way I would envison mutants, I would have the PCs take postive AND negative mutations. The two would have to balance out an then there wouldn't be a worry about ECL.

leaghe

First Post
If you start putting mutants into Spycraft, it starts to sound more like a Supers game than an espionage game. Not that it would be a bad thing, just different.

Leaghe

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Don't know Alternity so I use

DnD races and ECLs

I'm toying with a 'Dark Angel' type game and have already cast dog-boy Joshua as a Half-Orc. I'd imagine Max (and most X-5s) are Half-elves.

So yeah I think its a great idea:)

Dieter

First Post
Great idea. Make sure you keep this thread updated with your plans.

While I do think the concept is in the vein of superheroes, over the years there were a number of extraordinary characters
in the James Bond movies...most of which wouldn't particularly qualify for the feats listed in Spycraft.

I'd be curious to see genetic modifications for:

-Waterbreathing (like in Waterworld)
-Adamantine Claws (come on, Wolverine is still very cool)
-Dermal plating (ala Shadowrun)
-other cybernetic/bionetic implants

Remember the concept of cybernetics is not so far-fetched as say, maybe 20 years ago.

And if Q-branch can't do it, no one can. :)

Voneth

First Post
just a quick question, Impeesa.

Which version of the Alternity conversions over at conversions page do you plan to use for mutations.

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
Re: Don't know Alternity so I use

Tonguez said:
DnD races and ECLs

I'm toying with a 'Dark Angel' type game and have already cast dog-boy Joshua as a Half-Orc. I'd imagine Max (and most X-5s) are Half-elves.

So yeah I think its a great idea:)

I think X-5 should have lots of stat bonus, and a good ECL...

Impeesa

Explorer
Voneth: Yes, negative mutations could also be taken - they could produce an ECL 0 'race', or if they wanted someone with just a few advantagious powers and no special drawbacks, they pay for it with class levels, just like normal. I've only taken a brief look at the conversions on the page here, but it doesn't really matter. Also, I guess when I say Alternity-style mutants I just mean that level of deviation from the norm, as opposed to true superhero earth-shaking mutants.

Dieter: I'd love to keep you updated with my plans but what you see here is about the extent of them so far. :) I was planning on a similar system for mutants in Dragonstar, where you would have a 'mutant' template with variable ECL modifier based on the mutations selected. I just thought I'd get a little feedback on how it sounded. :)

--Impeesa--

Remove ads