• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Always with the killing

Banshee16

First Post
I'm including wars in my assessment. Are you? Between direct casualties and socio-economic repercussions, the damage done is pretty hefty.

It is not enough to look at what fraction of human conflicts end in serious injury. One ought to compare that with the same sort of fraction for other species. I think you'll find most species are rather less violent among themselves than we.

When was the last time you heard of ducks doing anything worse than a drive-by quacking?

Hmm.....I think I get what you're trying to say.....but the difference here isn't whether other species are violent among themselves, compared to humans, but whether other species have organized warfare like humans.

In the animal kingdom, there is all kinds of violence among members of the same species.....whether it's wolves driving off a member of the pack who's no longer welcome, a male lion coming in, and fighting the resident male in an existing pride, in order to take his position and females, mountain sheep smashing each other in order to determine who gets to mate with whom, or whatever, violence *within* species does occur.

Now, if you're talking about organized conflict.....I don't think there's many....humans, chimps, and ants, perhaps? I can't think of others that do it on a large scale.

Banshee

Anselyn

Explorer
Simply put, to refrain from the use of violence. I will hold as definitive the definition of pacifism advanced by leading and recognized pacifists like Mohandas Gandhi.

Yes. You are entirely correct. I was wrong.

Without careful thought, I was incorrectly equating pacifism with a refusal to kill others. In fact an adherence to non-violence is a the best short definition.

However, given the thread was about "the killing" it's noteworthy that your comments were pointing out the problems with non-violence. The violence that you discussed above (police, prison etc.) are not all killing. Clearly, one may result in the other but it's not a certainty.

More generally in the thread, there have been comments about man and violence - but violence doesn't have to be killing. In fact, I thought one of the lessons of WWII was that it was hard to get men to kill the enemy. This is why the military now have such carefully trained programs to brutalise recruits to transform them into killers - even when that's what they want to be.

In game terms where does this lead us? In not sure. But - some D&D grind results from the necessity to "kill them all" in most fights. More running away or yielding by opponents in response to the demonstration of the capability for violence might be more "realistic".

Looking at cinematic fights, a downed opponent is just out of the fight, it doesn't need to be clear if they're dead/mortally wounded/knocked out - the story just proceeds with them out of the picture.

In fact, given the wargaming roots of D&D where units rout, why did the one-on-one version head towards a almost mandatory killing outcome? I suppose it's the moral roleplaying dilemma of what to do with the captives.
Then, when we've chosen to eliminate moral considerations associated with "melee" we end up with PCs killing hobos to show their chops.

Banshee16

First Post
I think that violence in the game can be restricted if other options are presented, or simply by talking to the players, if that's what you want to do. It's not even like it has to happen all the time.

You could have an NPC who is, say, related to the king.....brother, cousin, whatever.....and *in the favour* of the king. Maybe he's working against the PC's aims, but isn't actually doing anything illegal. Do they kill him? It's a good way to get themselves executed.

We had a game once where the PCs were serving an organization that wanted them to find an artifact in some ruins. But those ruins were from a culture that was considered anathema to the main church in the country they were in. The Church wasn't bad. Nor were the PCs. But it was prohibited to enter the ruins. When they did, and an Inquisitor for that church tracked them there, he was within his authority, under the bounds of the laws of that country to arrest them. So the mission becomes about getting away, not getting caught, and not actually hurting the Inquisitor. Because if they hurt the Inquisitor, you can bet the church would let the King know, and be requesting justice.

Sometimes violence can't be the solution to every situation in the game. You just have to consider how you want to set up the situations.

Banshee

Celebrim

Legend
Well, I think you can do it with the *threat* of violence.

Well, first, it's not clear at all to me (or the law for that matter), that the threat of violence isn't itself violence. The threat of violence is assault.

Secondly, the threat of violence only works as deterence if its actually believable. If you have no reason to believe that negative consequences will result from your failure to cooperate, the 'intimidate check' is certain to fail.

Thirdly, humans are emotional as well as rational creatures, and the threat of violence frequently provokes anger and violence as a responce, so if you are bluffing the threat of violence you better be prepared for the escalation that is likely to result.

People surrender when faced with the fact that if they don't, they're going to get tasered or shot. The police don't have to actually *do* those things.

No they don't. But they have to be willing to do these things, which a pacifist by definition is not. They also have to have reputation for being willing to commit violence, which a pacifist won't have. And the fact of the matter is that, people don't always surrender when faced with a threat even when resistance has no hope of success and makes the situation worse.

The human survival instinct is very strong. People will give in when faced with the threat of overwhelming force, if they think it will mean they live.

Some will. But don't bet on 'flight' in the 'fight or flight' instinct. Humans are very poor runners and can't hide very well. As a species we are built to fight and kill, and we are very good at it. Nothing else in nature has a natural instinct to pick up a stick and hit things with it. Nothing else in nature can take that stick, or a rock, or a spear, or a gun, and instinctually use it to hit a target and with practice to hit it with accuracy rivaling that of a purpose built machine.

I think it's relatively possible to have pacifism where someone is nonviolent in most circumstances.

Sure, it's called 'morality'. But if pacifism is to mean anything, it must be a distinction between itself the near universal assertion by all societies that violence is a last resort. Banshee[/QUOTE]

Celebrim

Legend
In fact, I thought one of the lessons of WWII was that it was hard to get men to kill the enemy.

That's a myth. The study that purported to prove that has been widely debunked, and is now largely sited only by a particular partisan political fashion. I don't have time to go into it now, but maybe this weekend.

This is why the military now have such carefully trained programs to brutalise recruits to transform them into killers - even when that's what they want to be.

Yes and no. The problem isn't just limited to instilling a killer instinct, but in instilling an irrational fearlessness.

Banshee16

First Post
Well, first, it's not clear at all to me (or the law for that matter), that the threat of violence isn't itself violence. The threat of violence is assault.

This is a valid point. If you want to start considering non-physical violence, then you can probably add to the list of animals and species that participate in it. Even to a similar level that humans do.

Thirdly, humans are emotional as well as rational creatures, and the threat of violence frequently provokes anger and violence as a responce, so if you are bluffing the threat of violence you better be prepared for the escalation that is likely to result.

This is why I don't bluff violence :) But yes, you're correct. However......I sometimes wonder if mental stability is a factor when you're talking about people resorting to violence when faced with overwhelming force. Doesn't seem like a rational choice.

No they don't. But they have to be willing to do these things, which a pacifist by definition is not. They also have to have reputation for being willing to commit violence, which a pacifist won't have. And the fact of the matter is that, people don't always surrender when faced with a threat even when resistance has no hope of success and makes the situation worse.

Well....I'm not sure this is quite as cut and dry as this. They have to be *willing* to use force...and it's that reputation for willingness (as a group) to commit violence that gives police the reputation for violence that gives authority to the threat, and leads to many people choosing not to resist.

There are likely cultural differences as well though. I hear of far more incidents in the US of people resisting the police, to the point of having shootouts etc. than I have in my own country. But, again, cultural differences.

There are many police who go their entire careers without discharging their firearms a single time. And there are police who discharge their firearms in a single incident, and are messed up for life as a result. I'm pretty sure it takes a certain kind of person to take a life, and not be an emotional mess as a result.

Some will. But don't bet on 'flight' in the 'fight or flight' instinct. Humans are very poor runners and can't hide very well. As a species we are built to fight and kill, and we are very good at it. Nothing else in nature has a natural instinct to pick up a stick and hit things with it. Nothing else in nature can take that stick, or a rock, or a spear, or a gun, and instinctually use it to hit a target and with practice to hit it with accuracy rivaling that of a purpose built machine.

Sure, it's called 'morality'. But if pacifism is to mean anything, it must be a distinction between itself the near universal assertion by all societies that violence is a last resort. Banshee
[/QUOTE]

I won't contest that there is violence in human societies. That's obvious. My only point would be that organized violence isn't restricted to homo sapiens.

We know that other species such as chimps and ants practice it, on large scale. Scientists have also observed chimps procuring weapons to use either against each other, or against prey that they desire to kill. Now, those weapons might not be anything more advanced than using a rock to hit another animal, a heavy stick to use as a club, or in some areas of africa, sharp spears/sticks....but they *do* do it.

Ants don't use weapons that way....but they don't need to, as their mandibles can rip antennae, limbs, and heads off their opponents. Humans need weapons, because, physically, I don't think we can really rip other humans part limb from limb, the way other predators can.

The more that animal behaviourists study other species the more they learn that we're special....but also, that we're not nearly so different as we'd like to think.

Banshee

Dausuul

Legend
Some will. But don't bet on 'flight' in the 'fight or flight' instinct. Humans are very poor runners...

Nitpick: Humans are actually excellent distance runners. This does us no good in the "flight" department; if the cheetah catches you in the first hundred feet, it makes no difference that you could have run another ten miles. But it's quite useful when following prey that lacks our stamina. Over the long haul, very few animals can keep up with a human in good condition.

Last edited:

TheNovaLord

First Post
yep, hummies very good at keeping body temperature at right level, can eat on the move well, so can walk after prey for long distance till lunch drops exhausted

S'mon

Legend
I'm including wars in my assessment. Are you? Between direct casualties and socio-economic repercussions, the damage done is pretty hefty.

It is not enough to look at what fraction of human conflicts end in serious injury. One ought to compare that with the same sort of fraction for other species. I think you'll find most species are rather less violent among themselves than we.

Nope, modern 'civillised' humans are far less violent than almost any comparable species (excluding eg most plants and some single-celled organisms). Have you never watched ducks? They fight! They're nasty! :eek:
Even the most violent modern human population groups like the Yanomani of Brazil compare very favourably to most other primates. This seems to be connected to us being very neotenous compared to most species, ie we retain a lot of childlike characteristics into adulthood - in many ways we are similar to the young of other mammals (eg curiousity, playfulness, cooperativeness) but most mammals lose those characteristics before adulthood, we keep them to a large extent.

Humans are both (a) naturally violent and (b) less naturally violent than our species neighbours.

Remove ads