• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Am I crazy, or did they just turn Stealth into full Ninja mode?

I was going to type this exact scenario. Thanks!
However, you need to have some baseline competence to sneak at all.
Pick pocket in 3e worked exactly the same...

I still think, we need an awareness score instead of a skill. Probably class/level based and CR based for monsters. Just like grab DC.

Perception DC = 8 + prof modifier + wisdom modifier

Rogue add INT too, just as the monk adds DEX to STR in the grapple DCs (at least I suppose how that will work).

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Stealth and hiding rules are probably the most contentious rule system in D&D. No two DMs can ever agree on just how easy or difficult it should be to do it, especially within or without combat. Every single DM is going to end up adjudicating and re-writing the rules to a format and system THEY prefer regardless of whatever it is that WotC ends up putting in the books. Even the most crystal-clear ruleset WotC could include will get re-written by most DMs if that crystal-clear methodology is not one they actually want to use in their games.
This is exactly why I think the stealth rules in the 2014 PHB were already the best such rules you could ask for in the actual rulebook. They were extremely broad and open to interpretation, so DMs could run it the way they were going to anyway, without having to re-write anything.

I wonder... this new book the golden key or golden vault one, is all about theft. I wonder if durring playtests they ran into vast differences in table to table use of stealth

Oofta

Legend
However, you need to have some baseline competence to sneak at all.
Pick pocket in 3e worked exactly the same...

I still think, we need an awareness score instead of a skill. Probably class/level based and CR based for monsters. Just like grab DC.

Perception DC = 8 + prof modifier + wisdom modifier

Rogue add INT too, just as the monk adds DEX to STR in the grapple DCs (at least I suppose how that will work).

Or I don't know, maybe a contested roll, perhaps stealth vs passive perception? ;)

I know some people don't like the current rule, but the suggested is just terrible.

Or I don't know, maybe a contested roll, perhaps stealth vs passive perception? ;)

I know some people don't like the current rule, but the suggested is just terrible.

The contested role always has the metagame problem:

-Make a perception roll...
-16?
-you hear nothing, go on...

Last edited:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
le sigh

This new packet is causing me to headdesk. Thankfully it's a playtest and not the final rules.
It’s a mixed bag for me. I like the changes to the Paladin a lot; I like that the Jump action is out; I love 2 uses, recover one on a short rest and all on a long rest replacing PB uses, recover all on a long rest; conceptually I like wild shape, find familiar, and phantom steed using unified, evolving stat blocks rather than referencing monster manual stat blocks, but I think the execution needs work. On the other hand, the execution needs a lot of work, and these stealth changes are truly bizarre.

Which is why I always write down passive perception for the PCs or have people put it on their name tent. That way I never have to ask.

The current system isn't perfect, just better than the proposed.
I am not so sure. Back in the 2e days, rolling stealth was static too. It had its merits. I rejoyced however when 3e introduced contests. Made so much sense. I am really unsure, what approach is better.
Not having perception as a skill currently is so penalizing, that I am happy for every situation where it is not used...

Remove ads