• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Am I missing something? Spellcasters and armor?

HyannisRPGER

Banned
Banned
Looking through the new PH I could not find anything on spellcasting pentalties wearing other then cloth armor. Is that anyplace?

So if there are is no longer a penality for spellcasting in armor, as long as i take the feat to wear the armor, there is no other restriction to casting in heavier armor?

Wormwood

Adventurer
HyannisRPGER said:
So if there are is no longer a penality for spellcasting in armor, as long as i take the feat to wear the armor, there is no other restriction to casting in heavier armor?
I can't find one myself.
Burning a bunch of feats for an AC bonus seems like a fair trade to me.

Xyl

First Post
Go wild. You could even wear full plate without training and just suck up the penalties, if you want to. :D

Surgoshan

First Post
It's a plate armor wizardfest! Of course, to get there, you have to spend four feats, so either you wait until 6th level (4th for humans), or you take a big hit to your attacks. Assuming you need, typically, a 12 to hit, that would mean you'd need a 14 to hit, or a 25% decrease in attack power. Youch!

Similarly, a rogue can burn two feats to get plate armor, and all he loses some ability in thievery and stealthiness. And acrobatics and athletics.

Xyl

First Post
Surgoshan said:
It's a plate armor wizardfest! Of course, to get there, you have to spend four feats, so either you wait until 6th level (4th for humans), or you take a big hit to your attacks. Assuming you need, typically, a 12 to hit, that would mean you'd need a 14 to hit, or a 25% decrease in attack power. Youch!
And if the monsters needed a 12 to hit you, they now need a 20. I fail to see the problem... :D :D :D

NMcCoy

Explorer
Surgoshan said:

Similarly, a rogue can burn two feats to get plate armor, and all he loses some ability in thievery and stealthiness. And acrobatics and athletics.
And his Dex to AC. Same consideration for the wizard:
If he's got an Int of 18, He can either spend a feat to use leather for an AC of 16, or two feats to get chain for an AC of 16, a speed reduction, and an armor check penalty to physical skills.

phil500

First Post
Surgoshan said:
It's a plate armor wizardfest! Of course, to get there, you have to spend four feats

i think the feats are worth it for basically all classes. feats are so cheap now.

the problem is the 15 con and 15 str.

i could see rolling a wizard with 13s in those stats and eventually getting plate at level 21.

Rashak Mani

First Post
Due to high INT counting to AC when wearing light armor its not worth getting heavy armor. Unless you have mages with hight STR.

I'm considering using only 1 feat... leather armor. Its basically +2 AC for 1 Feat.

My gaming group says its silly... that Wizards rarely get hit at all... but considering there aren't any great feats I'll get it eventually.

Last edited:

Ipissimus

First Post
Rashak Mani said:
My gaming group says its silly... that Wizards rarely get hit at all... but considering there aren't any great feats I'll get it eventually.
It's a good choice, particularly if you're an Eladrin or want to go Gish even a little bit.

Sure, I dig the whole stand back and blast away bit but there's something viscerally satisfying for me, as a long time Wizard player, for actually being able to get my hands dirty on the front lines; to smell the same blood and fear as the fighter rather than lording my power over the universe from on high. Or, to better express my sentiment, now I can do both. :D

Remove ads