• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Am I "that guy" now?

w_earle_wheeler

First Post
On my way to my FLGS yesterday morning, I stopped by a local big bookstore. They had the 4e books on the shelf. I asked the manager to double-check the release date on the books -- he did, and seeing the hard release date, went to pull the books off the shelf.

Do I qualify as a do-gooder now?

Probably not. I was more interested in protecting my FLGS than WotC's release date, which has already been broken all over the country via internet sellers and big bookstores.

The only real advantage my FLGS has is the potential for a legal midnight release of the books.

Ravingdork

Explorer
w_earle_wheeler said:
On my way to my FLGS yesterday morning, I stopped by a local big bookstore. They had the 4e books on the shelf. I asked the manager to double-check the release date on the books -- he did, and seeing the hard release date, went to pull the books off the shelf.

If your story is true than you make exalted paladins look like lapdogs of Asmodeus.

Yaezakura

First Post
Nah, you did a good thing. You helped your FLGS and potentially kept the big bookstore from getting fined by breaking release date. The only person who could see fault in your actions is someone who wanted to get the books early. And if they're so desperate they can't wait 4 more days, there are "other" options available.

Indeed, your actions speak highly of your moral character. Just don't spread it around the local gaming community that YOU'RE the one who got them pulled from the shelves. :D

Nifft

Penguin Herder
w_earle_wheeler said:

Given how long that particular cat has been out of the bag, I dunno if you qualify as doing much except keeping the books out of the hands of those who want them both early and don't want to resort to torrents. Is that "good"?

I'd give you a point towards Allegiance (WotC), but they're Unaligned in the cosmic scheme.

Maybe you're Lawful Busybody. :)

Cheers, -- N

joela

First Post
do-gooder

w_earle_wheeler said:

Probably not. I was more interested in protecting my FLGS than WotC's release date, which has already been broken all over the country via internet sellers and big bookstores.

The only real advantage my FLGS has is the potential for a legal midnight release of the books.

i'd rather trust a person who does the right thing for all the wrong reasons than a person who does the wrong thing for all the right reasons.

Ulthwithian

First Post
While I wouldn't necessarily hold it against anyone who just passed on by, you did the right thing. Ethics is not nearly as difficult a subject as people would lead you to think. ;)

RigaMortus2

First Post
You did it wrong...

You are supposed to purchase the books, then upon doing so, you say:

"By the way Mr. FLGS clerk, I didn't think the 4E books were out yet. What do you show as the release date?" And then go on your merry way :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads