• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Am I the only one?

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
Anyone else expecting their first child the same week 4e ships?

Will I be the only one trying to sneak a 4e PH into the bag we'll be packing for the run to the hospital? :)

And is there enough times between helping me wife with the feedings and diaper changes to build a few characters to try the system out? 4e promises to be easier- will it be that easy?

And will I forget all about 4e when the baby comes? ;)

--Z

Lockridge

First Post
My first response to reading your post was to have my drink come out through my nose as I laughed at your (or your baby's) bad timing.

This isn't just a baby coming, its your first. You won't be doing any D&D'ing for a while my friend. If you see an opportunity for D&D time, stop right in your tracks and first think about your wife. She will need your support more than ever in the first several weeks.

For the first little while you'll have to be content with looking through the window at your D&D friends as they play. Don't let that take anything away from your first parenting experience. Priorities, my friend.

Oh, and CONGRATULATIONS!

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
When your first child comes your world will expand in ways you can't even imagine at this moment. And D&D will become a mere trivial pasttime as your little one will become the center of your world.

And as your wife gives birth you will be extremely thankful you are a male. :D :cool:

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
Thanks, all!

I've pre-ordered all 3 core rulebooks, and putting those Amazon boxes aside unopened for a while will be just one more surreal occurrence of this summer, I have no doubt.

--Z

Of even better, he packs the books into the bags and forgets everything else....

Not that you're an idiot, being a first time parent can make you do some really dumb things.. :D (My 'kids' are 19 & 14)

Congrats on the upcoming new edition.... :D

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Zephrin the Lost said:
And is there enough times between helping me wife with the feedings and diaper changes to build a few characters to try the system out? 4e promises to be easier- will it be that easy?
--Z
"Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition Rules: So easy even a new Dad can manage them."

If you are the kind of person who can pick up a book and read for just 5 minutes at a time, you might be able to get some time here and there to look at the books. If you are the type who delves in, shutting out the world for a couple of hours while you read, don't even pick them up for a while after the baby comes.

How much you retain from reading will depend on your ability to handle sleep deprivation.

3E came out not too long after the birth of my first child. It was long enough afterwards that we had a routine down and had resumed our gaming sessions. I was able to find time to go through the core rulebooks during feedings, naptime etc.

Congrats! My first child was due last year only a couple of days before the only annual gaming convention in town (No I didn't attend, I wanted to live to see the birth of my child! :D ) so I sort of know how you feel.

Once the baby is born time will seem to fly. The group I DM for once a fortnight had a 3 month break when the baby was born. It may sound like a long time, but it really did seem to go so quickly.

Are you having much time off after the birth?

Olaf the Stout

Zephrin the Lost

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
Congrats! My first child was due last year only a couple of days before the only annual gaming convention in town (No I didn't attend, I wanted to live to see the birth of my child! :D ) so I sort of know how you feel.

Once the baby is born time will seem to fly. The group I DM for once a fortnight had a 3 month break when the baby was born. It may sound like a long time, but it really did seem to go so quickly.

Are you having much time off after the birth?

Olaf the Stout

Sort of- I work part time, and hope to continue to do so while my wife is on leave. Then I'll take my two weeks when she goes back so I'll get quality time with the tiny new person.

Then we'll see what happens. It's almost impossible to plan for the other side of this paradigm! Many of our friends have had children recently and it's been different for all of them, depending on the baby's temperament and so on.

--G

Zephrin the Lost said:
Then we'll see what happens. It's almost impossible to plan for the other side of this paradigm! Many of our friends have had children recently and it's been different for all of them, depending on the baby's temperament and so on.

--G

We've been quite lucky with our baby girl. She only really cries when she's tired or hungry and she has no major health issues. It's funny, before you know you're going to have a child you have all these hopes and ideas of what you want them to be like. Once you find out that you're going to have a baby, you are happy as long as it is healthy.

Olaf the Stout

Remove ads