• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amazon.com no more for game purchases: Hypothetical...

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Umbran said:
Yes, but I'd have to be a whole lot more picky about what I purchased, and I'd purchase fewer products. I'd probably wind up returning far more products than I do now, as well.

Something I'm doing anyway but Umbran makes a point. Unless it's something I feel I desperately want/need I'll probably pass.

Karl Green said:
Supporting FLGS is cool and all, but its a business and I am not that a loyal a customer to any business... just me though ;)
My FLGS gives me the chance to look through the various products which are on my "maybe" list and decide whether I want to buy them.

They generally get products in before Amazon.co.uk do.

It also serves as a place where I can meet fellow gamers.

RPGs are a small part of what they sell. They could easily stop selling them and make room for more of the other stuff they sell. If they did, my nearest alternative is a £70 plane ride away.

I'm supporting them because doing so benefits me. Its also not costing me that much, because I have no way of getting the 35% on-line discounts which are apparently available in the USA. I'm not doing it out of altruism!

(Yes, I know I can buy from Amazon.com, but I'd have to pay for international shipping on top.)

Merkuri

Explorer
You know, I don't think I've ever bought an RPG book online from Amazon.com. I've always been able to find books cheaper elsewhere. The "where" varies, but I search a number of online sources before I buy a book. Froogal has led me to a number of smaller but cheaper gaming stores. I found my copy of the Eberron Campaign Setting at a college book warehouse at a price so low I thought it was used. I was stunned to get a brand new book with the CD still sealed in the back cover. Of course, I've also given my credit card number to companines and have never heard back from them, so results may vary.

Nightfall

I will say the only good thing about Amazon is if they screw up enough times they might actually have to start paying people back! :p :)

PJ-Mason

First Post
JoeGKushner said:
So RAR and Ptlous aren't going through Amazon.com and presumably Buy.com and other online bits.

What if other books went that rotue and even the standards like the Book of Eldritch Might, etc... were no longer being sold by Amazon.com or other online discounters. Or being sold, but with no discount?

Would you pay full price for RPGs?

Would you start hunting down e-bay more?

Well, i will pay whatever price i think is fair. If that is full price, then great. But given the choice between my LGS or Amazon, i pick Amazon (or FRP Games). But then my LGS is very lame. If it was worth the trip and effort to patronage them, i would pay a little more. But when given the option of using a scruffy, poorly located, and indifferent LGS staff OR a quick, responsive online gamestore staff that gives me a healthy discount (with no shipping costs) and sends it straight to my door.....

If certain companies want to close off access to customers (there are plenty of people who don't have that LGS), be my guess. But as like as not, i'll go on to another company who won't be so confrontational about how i spend my money and maintain my budgets. They will certaintly be testing their fanbase, thats all i can say about it. I'd prefer they just make their games, i'll buy them however i wish, and they can keep their agendas to themselves.

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
Well, Montes decision made me pay full price .. at the WW online store. But Ptolus was a special case for me. I really dig Monte's work, and this is his magnum opus. I wouldn't pay top dollar for average joes "Book of Feats vol 21".

Nightfall

Numion,

I felt the same way about Rappan Athuk Reloaded. I have very fond memories and I wanted to see when/if they would do a revised version. When they said limited edition box set, I freaked and bought it as soon as the pre-order came out. So I completely understand why you people want Ptolus so bad. I just don't understand why I would want it. ;) But that's just me.

Nightfall

PJ-Mason said:
Me too. Or at least my version is "Buy books i like and still pay the bills" :p

Yeah well I'd worry abou that PJ, but a) i have no job and b) I do not own much of anything, especially not my own place.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads