• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

amazon: Confessions of a Part-time Sorceress: A Hip Girl's Guide to the D&D Game

Aaron L

Hero
dargoth3 said:
What exactly does the "Orcus Loved" feat give you?

Demonecrophilia.

I will never understand why terms like "actress" could be offensive to women. People who are offended by that must be driven into absolute apoplexy by languages that have definite gender based word endings, which refer to things like tables and suitcases as female objects. Adding a female ending to a word doesn't make it any lesser a word, unless you consider femininity to be inherently inferior for some reason. All it does is make a word female. Implying that the female term for a profession is somehow inferior to the male version is far more sexist than using female specific terms.

I am all for the switching off on male and female pronouns in the D&D books. It is a nice way to call out the fact that women are welcome to play the game. It's a great idea, and for the people who are annoyed by it just imagine how women feel when they read books who use nothing but HE in every case.

As to the book, it looks interesting to me, and I will probably buy it.

And the author looks really cute. Is that sexist of me to say? It doesn't reflect on my opinion of her as a writer. Just reflects on my loneliness :(

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Dark,

I mean he likes me as a friend and follower. :p :)

Dargoth,

See THIS thread to see why Orcus likes me as his follower and speaker of his greatness. :p :)

ssampier

First Post
I don't care for the title, but hey, the book isn't for me, so it's all good.

Overall, I think anything that brings more people into the game, especially those with different viewpoints and play-styles, is a good thing.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
werk said:
I went ahead and rated it a 1, just in case.
Okay, you:
Haven't read the book.
Haven't met the author.
Know nothing beyond the title of the book in regards to content.

And on the grounds of your complete lack of knowledge you go and rate the book as '1', on a scale of 1-5 or 1-10?

Very good. You have renewed my faith in human nature.

The Auld Grump

Nifft

Penguin Herder
ssampier said:
Overall, I think anything that brings more people into the game, especially those with different viewpoints and play-styles, is a good thing.

... and boobs that aren't man-boobs. More of those would be a good thing, too.

-- N

All right! That's IT! We need a gender-neutral singular pronoun in English that everyone can use, and we need it now!

And not these "s/he" and "hir" half-measures I see in SF books that have hermaphroditic races in them, either!

And yes, I know that that the word "one" technically fits the requirements, but outside of academic writing, one can't use it without sounding snobbish and pretentious. ;)

Suggestions?

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Readerbreeder said:
And yes, I know that that the word "one" technically fits the requirements, but outside of academic writing, one can't use it without sounding snobbish and pretentious. ;)

Suggestions?

One should not mind the sound of pretense, if the alternative is incorrectness.

However, I'm a fan of "s/he/it". Because it's fun to pronounce. :)

Cheers, -- N

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads