• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amazon Orphans unite!

argash

First Post
As of today (June 17th) it says "In stock on July 27, 2008" guess it's selling well. The one thing I can't figure out is how Amazon couldn't keep WotC updated with their pre-order numbers.

mearlus

Explorer
jinnetics said:
I just got my 3 individual books today, after canceling my gift set order last week.

I called and asked them to do that.... the guy hemmed and hawed a bit, then "asked someone", then came back and said he'd cancel the order and give me a $20 promotional discount on my next order. That, plus the $5 promotional discount they gave me when I first complained about the gift set delay, put my final cost with Standard Shipping at just under $44.

I am happy.

Yep, got blown off again:

"We make a significant effort to keep abreast of prices and availabilities, but our reliance on our suppliers for information about the items they offer means that, occasionally, our database will not reflect all changes.

And, please note that at this item is bundled by the supplier, hence we are unable to pull each book or volume for delivery.

Again, we are very sorry for any disappointment this has caused. Please know that we value your business and hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com."

Even after explaining the difference.

jinnetics

Explorer
mearlus said:
Yep, got blown off again:

"We make a significant effort to keep abreast of prices and availabilities, but our reliance on our suppliers for information about the items they offer means that, occasionally, our database will not reflect all changes.

And, please note that at this item is bundled by the supplier, hence we are unable to pull each book or volume for delivery.

Again, we are very sorry for any disappointment this has caused. Please know that we value your business and hope to see you again soon at Amazon.com."

Even after explaining the difference.

Mearlus, was that an e-mail or phone call? I found the phone customer service rep to be very understanding.

mearlus

Explorer
jinnetics said:
Mearlus, was that an e-mail or phone call? I found the phone customer service rep to be very understanding.

It was an email. I have to wait a couple more hours before I can try calling/receiving a call.

I'll be trying the call then, worst thing they'll say is No.

Asmor

First Post
jinnetics said:

I found the phone customer service rep to be very much not understanding.

And what I mean by that is that the CSR didn't understand what I was saying and I had to explain it multiple times. He kept saying that they had never had 4th edition in stock, and nobody had received it. It was also annoying because he read back exactly what I told him, verbatim. i.e.

"I'm a bit annoyed because I preordered something in February, it came out on the seventh, and I just got an email telling me my order's been delayed for a month."

"Ok, I understand that you're a bit annoyed because you preordered something in February and you just got an email saying it was delayed a month."

I kind of wish I'd written the exchange down... That's not exactly it, but it captures the essence of it perfectly. There's no hyperbole at all there. I know they've got a script they're supposed to follow, but holy crap.

Glad to know that there's some good phone CSRs for Amazon, that guy was enough to ensure that I used email when I found out the price was reduced and I wasn't automatically refunded.

There is some good news, though. My order of the books seperately was supposed to arrive Thursday, but they just showed up today!

mearlus

Explorer
Those who have canceled and ordered the individual books, did you or have you used an amazon gift card? I'm curious how they refund it, if they just re-add the amount to your gift card "account balance". I'm pretty sure they wont screw me out of the $50 gift card if I cancel and order individually, but I'm just a little paranoid about them now :p

Well I ordered on March 24th and as of today my shipping date was changed to Aug 1st.

After reading through this thread and seeing that people that ordered after me have received their books I am officially done with Amazon.

I canceled and ordered from Overstock. It will cost me an extra $10, but the books were actually in stock (allegedly).

Amazon is dead to me.

drothgery

First Post
FWIW...

My pre-order discount disappeared when I got the infamous 'delayed until July' email. Some complaining got it back.

When I canceled the order and got the books individually and told them why, they gave me $10 of credit. Which was more than the delta between the gift set and the individual books (now that the DMG and MM are back to $20.97), even including the pre-order bonus. And it's now 'shipping soon', which means that it'll go out late tonight or tomorrow in all probability.

This was all over email/web forms, and I didn't need to write more than one complaint.

Asmor

First Post
mearlus said:
Those who have canceled and ordered the individual books, did you or have you used an amazon gift card? I'm curious how they refund it, if they just re-add the amount to your gift card "account balance". I'm pretty sure they wont screw me out of the $50 gift card if I cancel and order individually, but I'm just a little paranoid about them now :p

I used gift card credit. It just goes back into your account.

mearlus

Explorer
Asmor said:
I used gift card credit. It just goes back into your account.

Done, canceled and I explained why. I'm going to hold on ordering the individual books for a day to see if I hear anything back.

Maybe their customer service that deals with cancellations is better than what I've experienced so far.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads