American themed parties?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Why buy cups when you haves glasses?

When there are more people at the party than you have glasses?

When you expect people to be drunk and a little rowdy, such that glass is apt to get broken?

When your party isn't in a traditional home?

Solo cups are, for example, commonly used for college parties - where dozens to hundreds of people may be at the event.

I was at a small convention this weekend, some 300 people. At this con, the con suite becomes a (no-alcohol) party on Saturday night, where the organizers can expect 90% of the con to show up. No way they're going to use actual glass for drinks.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
Why buy cups when you haves glasses? Seems a waste of money and just makes more garbage for no reason.

Do you have 20-40 cups for guests to drink beer/pop out of and likely throw them away or break them?

I have 6 plates, 6 bowls and 6 glasses. Because that's what I had custom made.

If I have a party, I'm bringing out the disposable stuff.

Don't need guests breaking or chipping my regular stuff. or worse, throwing it in the garbage (school cafeterias lose more silverware that way...)

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Manufacturers make a lot of them because consumers buy a lot of them in that color.

A common thing (in my area, at least) is to have Sharpie markers around to write your name or initials on your cup, so you can set it down and not get it confused with everyone else's. The black marker shows up well on red, but not so well on the blue and green I've also seen in such cups.

Zombie_Babies

First Post
Why not? I'm sure America has parties themed on other countries.

Umm ... no, we don't. We just have parties. Apparently, we're so awesome at it the rest of the world has decided to (very poorly) copy our swagger. :p

Srsly, though, I've seen plenty of theme parties in my day but never one based on some other country. I mean, this is America. We don't care about other countries.

delericho

Legend
Srsly, though, I've seen plenty of theme parties in my day but never one based on some other country. I mean, this is America. We don't care about other countries.

Really? I thought it was reasonably common for people to throw Irish-themed parties for St Patrick's Day. (Well, maybe not 'common', but not unknown.)

Remove ads