• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amethyst d20 RPG Rocks

JustaPlayer

First Post
elijah snow said:
Another shot in the arm to the 3.5e grognard/pathfinder rpg community comes from the newly released Amethyst d20 RPG. Check it out here:

http://www.diasexmachina.com/

Amethyst succeeds where many, many others have failed - to fuse D&D with post-apocalyptic Earth. The well-written, skillfully illustrated tome weighs in at over 300 pages filled with short fiction, narrative description, and new races, classes, and crunchy goodness premised on the war between the ancient races of magic (dragons, fey, elves, dwarves, goblins, etc.) and the last bastions of humankind and their technology.

Just wanted to point out that it's closer to 400 than 300. 391 to be exact. It has a great index that takes up 4 of those pages.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
JustaPlayer said:
Just wanted to point out that it's closer to 400 than 300. 391 to be exact. It has a great index that takes up 4 of those pages.

...and that index took me 13 hours to do... <takes a bow> Suffice to say it was a long story. Thank you very much for pointing it out. Kinda made my day.

I know this question has been asked so I wanted to address it.
I have received my softcover and wanted to post images to those can see how a POD Lulu book looks

BOOK-Back.jpg

BOOK-Cover.jpg

BOOK-Open1.jpg

BOOK-Open2.jpg

The border goes right to the edge with no white bleed. Look how the right hand of the crossguard carries through all the pages. And no, pages are not faded. I just don't know how to take proper photos.

BOOK-Spine.jpg

If there are requests for specific photos of sections, I will comply.

Dias Ex Machina

Thanks, all. We really appreciate the kind words. Still looking at the book, I really can't find any internal flaws. The outside did have a few dents along the spine but these are same small imperfections that feature on every RPG I have ever bought.

BOOK-Pages.jpg

BOOK-Page2.jpg

Silvercat Moonpaw

Adventurer
I have to say, after reading part of the preview, that this game takes its subject waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too seriously. That's not necessarily a bad thing, if you're a person who likes seriousness. But I don't think this is going to appeal to people who enjoy the more light-handed approach to consistency.

Last edited:

Dias Ex Machina

There are many types of fantasy, some are serious; some are jovial. We were not looking for a tongue-in-cheek approach but we weren't going to ignore humor altogether. You look at George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire (a personal influence) and it is totally humorless. We wanted our setting to be dark, are ideas to be realistic and dramatic. Any lightness comes from the people that play, represented in the characters in the story segments. The book is actually funny is several areas (at least I think so), but not in attempts to lampoon itself or the setting. I looked at it as more "Knight's Tale" and less "Princess Bride"

A good example is the VERY first page of the preview. There are two quotes, one serious, the other...not so much...

But thanks for the comments. I take them in the manner in which they are received...as constructive.

Remove ads