• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Amethyst - New campaign setting

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
I thought Amethyst was a d20 System game? Doesn't this already include the "decency standard" clauses?

I don't think sex slavery as a general topic is against the clause, but I haven't seen it. I suppose depicting it or describing it "colorful" would probably be off-limits.

Hm, that's a good point. But then, I wonder if GSL materials will (at least at first) be getting closer scrutiny from WotC.

That said, I mostly was concerned that the removal of the fiction was due to "indecent" elements, but what you say makes sense. Maybe the fiction would be removed from a 4E Amethyst for a different reason?

ShadowDenizen

Explorer
Maybe the fiction would be removed from a 4E Amethyst for a different reason?

I got the impression that it was because:
A) It would provide more space for "fluff" about the world and it's inhabitants.
and
B) (the more important reason) they're working on an Amethyst novel that will liekly incorporate some of that fiction.

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Reason for removal:
You got it right on the money, SD. The current 3.5 D20 Amethyst is a portly 391 pages. By creating an OGL, we would have to add in nearly 120 - 200 pages of rules. Something would have to go. The story elements would be the first casualty. We may also pull other elements as well and release an additional sourcebook soon after. We would like to keep our books under 400 pages, closer to the 300 mark. Plus Nick Greenwood (our primary artist) will be doing additional artwork (nearly 40 pieces given our current budget) which will add additional girth to the final products.

Framing fiction:
The framing fiction in Amethyst attempts at a more realistic approach to storytelling, less on the glorifying of combat abilities and the like. As a result, these segments--and others scattered about the book--might rub people the wrong way. We present (in my opinion) an honest depiction of a possible world and mankind's role within it. We knew about the decency clause but figured we were okay because we had no nudity, did not graphically describe sex, and because we present our tales with a skew towards the nobility of heroes against evil. I didn't write it for players to be elf slave hunters but be the heroes that try to crush the slave market. Of course, you can run the game how you want...just saying... ;)

GSL:
Oh, and we have been talking with a few people, including a rep from a distribution warehouse, and we believe that we should be able to get away with employing a non-D20 modern GSL. But this is a point which possibly has been addressed already. WOTC claims there are two GSL, a D&D GSL and a D20 GSL. Nowhere do they say "Fantasy" and "non-fantasy." People have been adding the "(fantasy)" entry and I am not sure that is accurate. They are specific with their wording, claiming D&D, not fantasy, which could mean the first GSL is only for those donating material for the D&D setting. The D20 GSL could be for everything else, forcing those wanting to do so to wait until 2009. This is what concerns us--the limits on the GSL. We can't do a darn thing until then. When the GSL comes out, we are doing a podcast the following Monday to be uploaded Tuesday, which will outline our future.

Novel:
Yes, I am writing a novel. Yes, it includes material taken from and based on the game. It’s in the ballpark 400 page mark. This will not be printed through our label. I am actively searching for an agent. This would be another reason why the framing fiction was removed.

By the way, your thoughts here and on our home page are being read and heeded. The big question is that are there enough holdovers for 3.5 OGL to to warrant it. Given what my contact from the supplier said, the answer to that would be no. I hope he is wrong. We want whats best for the setting, but we also want to earn enough to make more books.

Zoom1.jpg

Drowmage

First Post
[D]WOTC claims there are two GSL, a D&D GSL and a D20 GSL. Nowhere do they say "Fantasy" and "non-fantasy." People have been adding the "(fantasy)" entry and I am not sure that is accurate. They are specific with their wording, claiming D&D, not fantasy, which could mean the first GSL is only for those donating material for the D&D setting. The D20 GSL could be for everything else, forcing those wanting to do so to wait until 2009. [/D]
I hope so...

Dias Ex Machina

Publisher / Game Designer
Currently, I will say it is looking more and more likely we are heading into 4ED territory. We have been bouncing around some really aggressive ideas which navigate around the GSL nicely and makes our setting even closer to the original material I wrote...which, for those curious, was finished last week at 175 000 words and 424 pages. The search for an agent continues.

Whether or not the framing fiction will be in a 4ED will depend on how big our initial book will be. Considering we are still learning the rules, we can't be certain. Personally, I think some of it will remain...heavily revised given the progress of the final novel.

Oh, and thanks for the comments, guys. I never get bored of it. Never, ever.

Turanil

First Post
Personally, what has prevented me from buying Amethyst, is that it comes with gaming rules. I much prefer settings like Freeport, that come without any set of rules, so you can use them with your preferred game. So my suggestion, is that instead of trying to decide between 3e or 4e, is to get rid of game mechanics altogether. As such, people who prefer True20, Savage Worlds, HARP, GURPS, or whatever, will also be able to buy the book (which has a lot of good things for it).

Edit: read the thread on GURPS and see how many people don't like the game but bought setting books (I have a few too). It's made possible for other rpgs users because their setting books usually have very few game mechanics if any.

Last edited:

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
DiasExMachina said:
Currently, I will say it is looking more and more likely we are heading into 4ED territory.

Wow, that's disappointing. I really wanted you guys to stick with 3.5E.

We have been bouncing around some really aggressive ideas which navigate around the GSL nicely and makes our setting even closer to the original material I wrote...which, for those curious, was finished last week at 175 000 words and 424 pages. The search for an agent continues.

I'd be interested to see how you "navigate around" the GSL, since that seems like it'd be extremely difficult to do. Either way, I hope you're sure, since once you go GSL you (quite literally) can't go back.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads