• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ampersand: The Bard (merged)

yesnomu

First Post
Cross-posting from an email I sent to a friend:

Oh jeez, Vicious Mockery. How great is it to be able to hurt enemies by insulting them? Almost as good as taking Psychic Lock at Paragon, and teaming up with your Wizard buddy with Illusory Ambush/Psychic Lock and a Paladin with Enfeebling Smite and giving an enemy a -12 to attacks. All at-will. Good lord. I think penalties are going to have to start being typed.

Interesting that he marks enemies for his allies. It'll be interesting to see how that plays out.

Inspire Competence is like an auto-win button for Skill Challenges. Back to the old DCs?

Uh-oh, Song of Discord gives domination at level 5 now. Just for a turn, but still.

Unluck is kinda neat, it feels more active to make the replacement rolls yourself. Not sure why it does the necrotic damage, though. Or why it targets Reflex.

I could see Forceful Conduit being nifty. Kinda situational, though.

Veil just kicked Disguise Self in the face. Which is fair for a bard power, but still.

Ouch, Word of Life! I'll need to look at the Cleric 10s, but that ought to require an attack roll at least.

My biggest problem with the class is that it doesn't feel like a bard to me. It feels like a buffing, healing warlock. A bard, in my mind, should be playing an instrument in the fight, and not really doing damage. Their overall contribution to success should be minimal. Basically, Bards really shouldn't be played by anyone who doesn't want to be a dingleberry, like Elan.

Rechan

Adventurer
Hideous Laughter has a line in the power called Aftereffect. Never seen that before...could it be a condition that begins on the creature's next turn?
Many, many monsters have After-effect powers. Aftereffects occur when the target has saved.

Last edited:

yesnomu

First Post
1) This is 4e. EVERYBODY kicks ass. EVERYBODY.

2) Elan has been kicking ass. :) It just takes a little application.
1) Yeah, I know, which is why the bard isn't a good fit for 4e, in my opinion. Bards should, at the most, help other people kick ass harder. I'm working on my own version of a damage-less bard, which I'll stick in Homebrew when I'm happy with it.

2) Yeah, but he had to take a PrC first, and he isn't using any bardic powers in combat anymore. Dashing Swordsman basically is his class now.

I am particularly perplexed by the fact he can cast rituals for no component cost 1/2/3xday. So that means he can make a magic item of his/her level everyday, for nothing, Once he is forth level and has the enchant item feat. Now that is a money making scheme from heaven!

Edit: it is a Bard ritual, which I assume is a keyword and doesn't apply to Enchant magic Item

Last edited:

garyh

First Post
I am particularly perplexed by the fact he can cast rituals for no component cost 1/2/3xday. So that means he can make a magic item of his/her level everyday, for nothing, Once he is forth level and has the enchant item feat. Now that is a money making scheme from heaven!

Looks to me like the free ritual casting is for "Bard only" rituals. So I don't see free magic items for everyone.

You gain the Ritual Caster feat as a bonus feat, allowing you to use magical rituals. You own a ritual book, and it contains two rituals of your choice that you have mastered: one 1st-level ritual that has bard as a prerequisite (see Chapter 4) and another 1st-level ritual.

In addition, you can perform one bard ritual per day of your level or lower without expending components, although you must pay any other costs and use any focus required by the ritual. At 11th level, you can perform two bard rituals per day of your level or lower without expending components; at 21st level, you can perform three.

Lord Nat

First Post
$20 says that Bardic Knowledge is making it's come back as a ritual.
Likely an hour to make one Knowledge check with a big bonus.

Cadfan

First Post
That still doesn't qualify the Paladin or Swordmage.

Especially so with regards to the Paladin, which the Divine CHallenge specifies only one target can be marked at a time.
No, its pretty clear. The paladin doesn't get benefits against foes he marks, he gets benefits against foes he divinely challenged. Same with the swordmage and his aegis.

The challenge and the aegis are powers which include in them marking as well as other effects. You can tell from reading them. The fighter, by contrast, has a permanent, always active benefit against anyone he marks by any means.

Remove ads