• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An above all else group leader

dutorn

First Post
I was just curious what all of the DMs think of a no questions asked party leader. For ex. Perhaps PC 1 is the King of the Country while the other PCs are just "henchmen" leaving no room for their decisions, of course they might have an opinion but it's really up to PC1. Or if you have a Drow Female Cleric of Lolth with a party of other drow (not clerics of Lolth) and while they may or may not get input its ultimatly up to the Lolthite. Do you think this is a real problem in a gaming group? Or perhaps you just need to keep the powerplayer positions out of "me-first" gamers? Just to clerify, it's not that their PCs are better, its just the position they occupy in an RP sense that gives them this control.

Percivellian

First Post
In general, I've found this doesn't work so well. Power corrupts, and all that. Teamplay is what makes groupwork fun, and if you run into a hitch, any player with the absolute power is absolutely gonna wanna excercise it. This often results in other players feeling like they didn't get a fair shot/consideration/etc. I know just having a clear 'superior' (as opposed to just a clear leader) can gum up the way people play their characters, particularly if they have every in-character reason to follow said superior. It may be in-character, but being under the command of another PC sort of puts a fair amount of fun into their hands. Blurrier lines of superiority and authority are preferable to clearly defined, "I outrank you" status.

iwatt

First Post
Percivellian said:
In general, I've found this doesn't work so well.

I think that, as many other things in life and RPing, it depends on the individuals.

Good players will make it work. Bad players will screw up.

IMC game, the "leader" is the son of the dead chieftain of the tribe. Of the other 4 PCs, 3 are tribe memebers and one is a foerigner. The foreigner is the responsibility (for crimes commited) of one of the other PCs. The tribesmen all follow the son of the chief (wrongfully accused, trying to recover his honor) while the foreigner follows his "Father". The group dyanmics are great, and the heir's Player will command "in-character" but will discuss things OOc whenever ther is a conflict.

As an example of when it doesn't work: The player of the leader is the DM's girlfriend. The character is of course an elven princess ;)

moritheil

First Post
I haven't had this happen in DnD, but I have had it happen in In Nomine. However, there's much more unified purpose there, so it's pretty hard to compare the two.

HeapThaumaturgist

First Post
That sort of situation is when the fat guy comes jumping out of a closet and sings "Miiisssssstaaaaaaaaaaake!"

I mean, "with the right players" we could do an All Sea Slug Campaign and enjoy "Rolling For Sea-Floor Nutrients", or Chatel Peasant Power Party and "See Who Survives The Winter" rolls, but by and large those aren't fun either.

--fje

iwatt

First Post
HeapThaumaturgist said:
That sort of situation is when the fat guy comes jumping out of a closet and sings "Miiisssssstaaaaaaaaaaake!"

I mean, "with the right players" we could do an All Sea Slug Campaign and enjoy "Rolling For Sea-Floor Nutrients", or Chatel Peasant Power Party and "See Who Survives The Winter" rolls, but by and large those aren't fun either.

--fje

So you couldn't see a Knights of the Round Table game, in which the knighta aid their rightful leader?

I've run d20 Modern with a team that usually was sent to investigate strange events. These teams always have a leader (typically with some levels of charismatic).

As I said, if you have good players, it will work. If you foist the leadership role on someone who is an ass, you'll of course have a mayor problem.

mr_accipitres

First Post
I don't think I've ever played where there has been a no questions asked leader, but I have played in games where one player has the ability to move the story along when it bogs down by saying "We do X." I know that, in my experience, it has been helpful to have someone in such a role.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
iwatt said:
So you couldn't see a Knights of the Round Table game, in which the knighta aid their rightful leader?

I've run d20 Modern with a team that usually was sent to investigate strange events. These teams always have a leader (typically with some levels of charismatic).

As I said, if you have good players, it will work. If you foist the leadership role on someone who is an ass, you'll of course have a mayor problem.
You're describing a milder form of this than the original poster. If I'm playing a male character in a party with the Party Leader (dum dum DUM) playing a female cleric of Lolth, I'm essentially playing an NPC hireling.

cuteasaurus

First Post
Bad idea. The problem essentially comes down to the idea of an "unquestionable" leader. A good leader asks advice from the other party members, but one that can impose his/her whims (because of being royalty, etc) is just annoying.

Remove ads