• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An absolute truth

Dm_from_Brazil

First Post
...about 4th Edition is this: "remember that nothing is complete or final until you buy the book in the store."

Where I found this comment? Here: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rs/20030527a&pf=true

All the 3.5 "Revision Spotlights" sported this comment, and it´s not only still valid, but the absolute truth - until the 4ed book is printed, everything is not final, and can be changed.

So, let´s not be very happy/angry with any possible change, because, to the moment, they are only that: possibilities.

< Other absolute truth is that big changes will happen, so we can wait for anything - and that´s is really scary >

Note: absolute here refers to the "relativistic truth" that the Wizards staff been using this days ;)

Jared Rascher

Explorer
I thought it was interesting that in the last D&D podcast they mentioned that there was an assassin base class really late into the development process before they finally dropped it.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Dm_from_Brazil said:
So, let´s not be very happy/angry with any possible change, because, to the moment, they are only that: possibilities.
I agree with your "truth", but I disagree with your proscription. Be angry. Be happy. The rules are not yet written in stone, and this is your chance to affect the developer's thinking. Your only chance. Make of it what you may.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Irda Ranger said:
I agree with your "truth", but I disagree with your proscription. Be angry. Be happy. The rules are not yet written in stone, and this is your chance to affect the developer's thinking. Your only chance. Make of it what you may.

I'd like to think that's true but from some of the comments we've been seeing, I wonder if hte developers love the smell of their own farts so to speak (South Park bit there.) Some of 'em are just coming at the game from a completely different angle than I am and that's good because my angle is not necessarily the way the game should be done but at the same time means that 4e may not be for me.

Howndawg

Explorer
JoeGKushner said:
I'd like to think that's true but from some of the comments we've been seeing, I wonder if hte developers love the smell of their own farts so to speak (South Park bit there.) Some of 'em are just coming at the game from a completely different angle than I am and that's good because my angle is not necessarily the way the game should be done but at the same time means that 4e may not be for me.

The tough thing for the developers to do is to try to understand the different angles we all come from and to try to accommodate as many as possible. Unfortunately, some people's angles are going to get left out. Although I like 3e rules, after playing it and running it, I came to the conclusion that my angle got neglected. It seems to me that 4e is more accommodating of my type of gaming. Thus I am welcoming it.

Howndawg

Horacio

LostInBrittany
Supporter
There are as many angles as gamers...
But I think it won't be a problem. Like 3e generated a bunch of great games (AU, Iron Heroes, C&C, Grim Tales...) for gamers with different angles, 4e will generate other satellite games for those gamers...

I bet somebody will make something like C&C for 3e, a game based on 4e but adapted for people who prefer 3e playing style

Li Shenron

Legend
Dm_from_Brazil said:
...about 4th Edition is this: "remember that nothing is complete or final until you buy the book in the store."

However they've also mentioned that most of the classes stuff is already done, and playtesting is about the details but certainly not about the significant changes. So at least when we hear about the big changes, I treat them pretty much like "nearly complete".

Remove ads