• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Alternative to DEATH

Hi. I'm Johnny Tek - self-proclaimed Defender of Earth.

I am currently setting up a new professional game master business. I'm going to be offering a replacement option for my clients that order DnD 4e sessions and don't like dying in the game.

I want to save some time on this (lots of work to do) so if you would throw your ideas and feedback at this, it would be much appreciated.

Here's the replacement option (optional):

Heroic Death Throes
A character is allowed an unlimited number of death saving throws and does not die unless the circumstances absolutely prevent survival (jumping into lava, getting sliced in half, etc.). When a character makes a death saving throw and fails, a roll on the following list must be made.

When you are reduced to 0 hit points or less, you remain conscious but can not take any actions except free actions.

When you stabilize, you return to 0 hit points but can only perform a single action per turn until your hit points become 1 or more. If you take damage again, you are dying again until you stabilize.

Roll a dX when you've failed a death saving throw.

1. You keep your eyes open for the enemy's attack, warning your comrade in the nick of time. You can give an ally a +2 bonus to all defenses against an attack as an immediate interrupt until the start of your next turn.
2. You pray to your deity for aid. You regain 1 healing surge if you have no healing surges left.
3. You call out to encourage your allies to stand their ground. Your allies regain hit points equal to your Intelligence or Charisma modifier (minimum 1).
4. You call to your allies for help. All allies within 5 squares can shift 1 square towards you.

I need more. I want at least 20 for the final list. If you can help me get this done faster, it would be much appreciated.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Wait a second. So you BENEFIT from failing a death save?

You are still helping the team... is my interpretation. When Frodo fell to the blade of the Nazgul ... it actually inspired more fervent attack and defense from his allies that type of thing.

I think when Frodo is stabbed by the troll and his friends go berserk might be a better example.

It's a storytelling game. Being on the verge of death and making heroic things happen even though the hero is practically disabled is seen often in great stories.

For a 1-shot adventure with a time constraint and people paying, the disruption of having to switch characters can be a very bad thing.

Anyway, the wounds system looks interesting. Perhaps if the death throes list became a mix of both good and bad results it would be more interesting.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think when Frodo is stabbed by the troll and his friends go berserk might be a better example.

It's a storytelling game. Being on the verge of death and making heroic things happen even though the hero is practically disabled is seen often in great stories.

For a 1-shot adventure with a time constraint and people paying, the disruption of having to switch characters can be a very bad thing.

Anyway, the wounds system looks interesting. Perhaps if the death throes list became a mix of both good and bad results it would be more interesting.

Apparently 2 player games are wrongbadfun and cant work in D&D but this house rule here
http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/256183-hit-points.html#post4794091 ensures that some save or die situations that still vestigally exist in D&D 4e can be brought under control. (which if you are being careful about PC death? could suit your needs)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/4e-fan-creations-house-rules/256183-hit-points.html#post4794091

eriktheguy

First Post
Looks like an interesting system. Basically we are taking the final fantasy route where unconscious party members just stay there and wait to be revived. No party member dies permanently unless the whole party does. I like the idea of helping your teammates from the ground as long as you are not getting back up. I agree with Garithos that it is probably better to let the players choose what they do rather than rolling. So far the abilities you suggested look pretty good.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Berzerk all allies withing 5 squares may make power blows (as though they have the feat) with an additional 1 point of damage

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Berzerk all allies withing 5 squares may make power blows (as though they have the feat) with an additional 1 point of damage

It occured to me these might written up in some cases as Warlord powers with a triggers when an attack drops a companion. This would give them a normal context in the game. The idea of a fallen ally being inspiration is right in the trick bag for the warlord.

An ally might be able to spend a healing surge to immediately regain and use spent daily or encounter power.

I think in general you might look at the Warlords powers and use them as ideas for what might happen and how the fallen one could influence his friends.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads