• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An artifact that grants divine rank 0

Ion

Explorer
I'm thinking about introducing an artifact that grants divine rank 0 into my game.

Reading over this page, I've deduced that divine rank 0 should grant something like:
max HP,
speed 60ft for medium or 50ft for a small person,
a Deflection bonus to AC = Charisma modifier,
attacks considered lawful, chaotic, etc. matching your alignment (for DR purposes),
Immunities to polymorph, petrification, energy drain, ability drain, ability damage, and mind effecting spells
DR 10/epic
Fire resistance 5
SR 32
and Immortality (no eating, sleeping or breathing)

I don't think any of that is terribly game breaking (so long as the artifact doesn't stay in the PCs hands for too long.) Though I'm probably going to make it DR 10/magic, and SR 22ish.

I'm thinking the artifact will also have an effect similar to Genesis that is cast when someone new takes control of the artifact, and allow the owner to Plane Shift to and from his realm once per day.

Riffing off the novel The City of Ravens, I think this artifact will be the Orb of Khundrukar. It's a little left over piece of creation that had been buried deep beneath Toril for a long time until it was discovered. Then it passed through a string of quasi-deities until it ended up in the hands of the leader of an evil army who managed to conquer the dwarven kingdom of Roldilar. The final battle was a siege on the city of Sarbreen, where some plucky dwarven heroes managed to slay the evil conquerer and have the Orb for themselves.

One of the heroes, named Cedrizarun, in a moment of foresight, stole the Orb from the other heroes and hid it away so that nobody could use it's power. He then went on to become a master distiller, and devised a clever riddle type thing to disguise the location of his tomb which is also the (not so) final resting place of the Orb of Khundrukar.

To make a long story short, my (6th level) PCs are hot on the trail of Cedrizarun's Tomb, and should arrive there in a session or two. They know that there will be treasure in this tomb, but nothing about the Orb, or it's history.

I don't plan on letting the PCs have the Orb for too long, but having a Demigod Hot Potato should be fun for a little while; especially for all the trouble it will get them into.

What do you think? Do you have any good ideas for fleshing out the Orb's history a bit? What sort of trouble would such an item attract?

Slife

First Post
Gaining divine rank zero allows you to gain further divine ranks if you follow *hideously_complex_Ritual* and gain worshippers. There's an evil magician who's working on ascension, and searching for the orb as well.

Vrecknidj

Explorer
How do you intend to take the orb away from the players? Will it feel voluntary for them? Will it be obviously not? Will some other "good guy" need it more and provide a convincing reason?

Dave

Remove ads