• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Example Character, Levels 1-30

Rowsdower

First Post
well. This is great.
Hey can i suggest getting a write up for a tiefling wizard for 1st level and 30th level?
Thats one I'm really interested in making, and I'm just one of the unlucky that don't have the books yet. And I really want to know how they are setting up wizard "builds".

sustains mean on your next turn you sacrifice that action (move, standard, minor, free) to keep the effect going....I think.

Last edited:

ShockMeSane

First Post
A power with the phrase Sustain:XXXX in it means that on the turn after you use the power, you can Sustain it (usually the power tells you what to do if you sustain a power) by using an action as indicated by XXXX. For example, the Bigby's spells of a Wizard can be cast, attack two foes, yadayada. The next turn, you can sustain them as a minor action, meaning they will continue to grabble the foes they are holding. You can use your move action to attack with them if they aren't holding anyone.

Spatula

Explorer
Destil said:
I couldn't confirm where you add Str to basic attacks with a bow anywhere, I know I'm just missing it someplace. Likewise I still haven't tracked down where damage dice double at 21 for non at-wills...
Ranged attacks (except for heavy thrown weapons) use Dex for attack & damage rolls, so you're shorting yourself on the longbow hit & damage. That's buried in the back of the combat chapter, along with the elusive basic attack writeup.

Nice nature priest!

ShockMeSane

First Post
Well, I was interested, so I did it. Hopefully someone else will be interested. Apologize advance for the formatting, and the magic item selection is very generic, just the basics.

Fighter fully multiclassed/paragon'd into Wizard. He actually came out much cooler than I hoped. I tried to pick "tanking" powers and most of the spells are "Close" to avoid OA's as this guy will usually be at melee. Cloudkill I took just because... cmon, if you can trap 4 guys in a cloudkill that can't escape you, that's just money.

Level 30 Human Demigod Fighter/Wizard (Paragon)

Str 28 +9 HP 218 bloodied 109
Con 14 +2 Surge 55 per day 11
Dex 10 +0 AC 45 Fort 37, Ref 42, Will 35
Int 26 +8
Wis 13 +1 Init +20 Move 6
Cha 13 +1

Skills: Athletics +29, Endurance +22, Heal +21, Intimidate +20, Arcana +28

Feats: Arcane Initiate, Action Surge, Novice Power, Acolyte Power, Adept Power, Weapon Focus: Heavy Blade(+3),
Human Perseverance, Devastating Critical, Blindfighting, Improved Iniative, Spell Accuracy, Irresistable Flame,
Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Great Fortitude, Toughness, Fleet Footed, Spell Focus, Combat Anticipation

Race: +1 all Defenses, Extra Skill, Extra Feat, Extra At-will

Class: Weapon Talent +1 One-Handed, Combat Challenge, Combat Superiority

Epic Destiny: Divine Spark, Divine Recovery, Divine Miracle

Basic Attack:
::melee:: Longsword: +34 hit, 2d8+18 damage.

At-Will Attacks:
::melee:: Reaping Strike: +34 hit, 2d8+18; Miss: 5 damage
::close:: (Paragon) Thunderwave: blast 3 +29vsFort, 2d6+14 thunder damage, push 1.
::melee:: (Human Bonus) Cleave: +34 hit, 2d8+18, adjacent foe takes 5.

Encounter Powers:
::close:: (Paragon) Color Spray: blast 5, +29vsWill, 1d6+14 radiant damage+dazed.
::close:: Vorpal Tornado: burst 1, +34 hit, 1d8+18 damage. Push 1 and knockdown.
::close:: Warrior's Urging:: burst 4, all opponents in range must shift 3 adjacent to you. Burst 1, +34 hit, 2d8+18 damage.
::area:: (Arcane Initiate) Scorching Burst:: burst 1, +29vsRef, 1d6+14 fire damage.
::close:: Black FIre: blast 5, +29vsRef, 6d6+14 fire/nec damage.

Daily Powers:
::melee:: Strike of the Watchful Guard: +34 hit, 4d8+18 damage, free melee if target shifts or attacks allies.
::close:: Prismatic Spray: burst 5(foe only) +29vsAll Fort: 3d6+14 poison, slow. Ref: 3d6+14 fire, ongoing 15 Will: Stun
::melee:: Storm of Destruction: two targets +34 hit, 5d8+18 damage; miss half.

::area:: (Paragon) Cloudkill: Burst 5, autohit. 1d10+14 poison damage. 1d10+14 poison to any that start within. Sustain Minor. Move action to move 3.

Utility Powers:
Stoneskin: 10 resist all for encounter. (Daily, minor)
Defensive Training: Gain +2 to either Fort, Ref, or Will (Daily, minor)
Iron Warrior: Spend surge, gain add. 2d6+2, make save. (Daily, minor)
(Paragon) Blur: +2 to all defenses. Foes 5+ away cannot see. (Daily, minor)
(Epic) Divine Regeneration: 28 regen for encounter. (Daily, minor)

Vorpal Longsword+6, Wand+6, ElderScale+6, Amulet+6

Edit:
Stoneskin+28 regen/round+Blur=absurdly hard to kill. Not the best damage output ever, but I believe this guy would be pretty darn good at controlling the enemies movement and keeping them distracted.

Last edited:

Spatula

Explorer
Hmm, interesting, a tank with no shield. :) It's a shame the shield spell only lasts 2 rounds...

The damage on the basic longsword attack & thunderwave should have their dice doubled for being epic. Also, what about Thunderlance (wiz 13) to replace Color Spray (which doesn't do much damage)?

ShockMeSane

First Post
Spatula said:
Hmm, interesting, a tank with no shield. :) It's a shame the shield spell only lasts 2 rounds...

The damage on the basic longsword attack & thunderwave should have their dice doubled for being epic. Also, what about Thunderlance (wiz 13) to replace Color Spray (which doesn't do much damage)?

Thanks for the heads up on the damage, i was kind of rushing. Unfortunately for your Paragon Encounter Ability you only get a level 7 or lower Encounter spell! Worse yet, Color Spray is a level 3, but the Level 7 abilities are just dreadful from a Defender point of view. I figured hey, at least the Color Spray can daze, but yea, I doubt I'll be using it much.

I didn't end up taking a shield because I pretty much figured I was "offhanding" the wand. If there were some way to use the longsword as a implement I would. Still with Blur and Stoneskin, I feel like his defenses are pretty solid.

ShockMeSane

First Post
hong said:
I can imagine the sound effects already!

The best part is that with Stoneskin, even if you had to join them in the Cloudkill it wouldn't really wreck you too terribly. Do not attempt this strategy against undead. =/

ShockMeSane said:
Ok, in my attempts to make a multi-classed character I've stumbled across a problem. I could have sworn that in a preview we saw a feat that allowed a weapon to double as an implement. I could be blind as a bat, but where did that go?

Edit: There is a Wizard Paragon Path that allows this, but it's pretty darn restrictive in so far as you won't be getting many Fighter abilities due to losing the Paragon multi-class. Can you use a Wand in your offhand with a 1h sword in the other?
Aren't Staffs or Rods usable as both?
I mean, a Staff is just a Quarterstaff with some magic in it, and a Rod is just a fancy Mace?

Remove ads