• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Example Character, Levels 1-30

Destil

Explorer
Level 10. I took advantage of the retraining rules once here to swap out Elic's existing Guardian of Faith once I had upgraded it to the awesome rogue enabler spiritual weapon. And there was a ranger power that lets you add Dex and Wis to attack, that's worth a feat in my book.

(I'm selecting powers here I haven't seen people mention before when I can, as long as they fit the cleric).

Elic Moongrove, Elf Cleric of Melora (level 10)
"Nature abhors such things...."
Code:
Str 12 +1
Dex 15 +2
Con 11  0
Int 10  0
Wis 20 +5
Cha 16 +3

HP: 68                          Speed 7 squares
Healing surges/day: 7           Languages: Common, Elven
AC: 23                          Vision: low light
Fort: 18 Refl: 20 Will: 23      Armor Check -1
Cold and fire resist 5 
Skills: Religion +15, Heal +15, Diplomacy +13, Insight +15, 
  Nature +17, Perception +17
Passive Perception: 27, Intuition: 22
Basic Attacks
Longbow. +11 vs. AC; 1d10+5 damage. Range 20/40. (critical +2d10)
Spear. + 6 vs. AC; 1d8+1 damage or 1d8+2 two-handed (versatile)

At Will
Lance of Faith*(Standard): +13 vs. Reflex; 1d8+9 radiant damage and one ally within sight gets +2 to next attack against same foe
Sacred Flame* (standard): +13 vs. Reflex; 1d6+9 radiant and one ally within sight gains 2 temp HP or can make a saving throw

Encounter
Elven Accuracy(free, elf racial): Reroll 1 attack
Hunter's Quarry(minor, ranger multiclass): choose nearest foe, +1d6 damage vs them
Healing Word (minor, cleric feature): 2/encounter. Grant a healing surge +2d6+5 healing
Divine Glow* (standard, cleric attack 1): close blast 3; +13 vs. reflex; 1d8+9 radiant damage and allies within the area get +2 to attack rolls until the end of next turn.
Divine Aid (Standard, cleric utility 2): You or one ally within 5 squares makes a saving throw with a +3 bonus.
Command(Standard, cleric attack 3): +13 vs. Will; on a hit the target is dazed and either knocked prone or slid 6 squares (your choice).
Hawk's Talon(Standard, ranger attack 7): +14 vs. AC; 2d10+4 damage, ignores cover and concealment [weapon power, these stats are for the longbow].
Channel Divinity [choose 1 / encounter (cleric feature)]
  • Divine Fortune(free): +1 to one attack or save.
  • Turn Undead*(standard): +13 vs. will; Undead hit are dealt 1d10+9 radiant damage, pushed 5 squares, immobilized until the end of next turn
  • Melora's Tide(minor, feat): The target must be bloodied. They gain regeneration 2 until they are no longer bloodied.

Daily
Cascade of Light* (standard, cleric attack 1): +13 vs. Will; 3d8+9 radiant damage, target gets vulnerability 5 to your attacks (save ends); half damage on a miss.
Spiritual Weapon*(standard, cleric attack5): +13 vs AC; Conjures a weapon within 10 squares that attacks a foe, dealing 1d10+9 radiant damage on a hit. Hit or miss your allies gain combat advantage against the target. Move 10 squares as a move action. Sustain minor.
Divine Vigor (Minor, cleric utility 6): You and each ally within a close 5 burst regain the use of your second wind.
Flame Strike* (Standard, cleric attack 9): Area burst 2; +13 vs. Reflex; 2d10+9 fire damage and 5 ongoing fire damage (half on a miss).
Mass cure light wounds (standard, cleric utility 10): Close burst 5, you and all allies regain HP as if you had spent a healing surge +8HP.
Barkskin(minor, armor): Gain +2 AC until end of the encounter, each hit reduces this bonus by 1.

Race/Class/Items misc.
+2 Nature, Perception
Prof: Longbow, shortbow, simple melee, & simple ranged weapons; cloth, leather, hide & chain armor
Wild Step: Shift into difficult terrain
Healer's Lore: +5 healing with powers that have the healing keyword
Holy Symbol: +3d8 damage on a critical with implement powers (marked * above)
Cloak of Survival: Resist cold and fire 5.
Feats
Warrior of the Wild (Nature as a trained skill, can take ranger feats & paragon paths, hunter's quarry 1/encounter)
Astral Fire: +1 damage with radiant & fire powers.
Weapon Focus(Bows): +1 to damage with bows
Skill Training: Perception
Melora’s Tide: New use of channel divinity
Novice Power: Exchanged level 7 cleric encounter for Hawk's Talon

Equipment
Holy Symbol +3 [level 11] (Pearl white seashell broach with an embossed silver moon)
Barkskin Hide Armor +2 [level 10]
Cloak of Survival +2 [level 9]
Ritual prayer book with Animal Messenger, Gentle Repose, Brew Potion [75gp], Commune with Nature [360gp], Cure Disease [360], Make Whole[50gp], Remove Affliction[680gp], Raise Dead[680gp]
Magic Longbow +2 [1800gp]
195gp

Last edited:

Destil

Explorer
ShockMeSane said:
Neat... do you go into battle with the longbow out, take the shot and pull out the holy symbol? Kind of cinematic. :D
The holy symbol works around your neck, the way I'm reading it :)

Sojorn

First Post
Destil said:
Equipment
Holy Symbol +3 [level 11] (Pearl white seashell broach with an embossed silver moon)
The little bit of fluff discription just jarred a thought loose in my head.

Are clerics expected to make their +1-6 holy symbols or do they just happen to find these more powerful symbols of their specific faith as they adventure? I suppose it's no stranger than finding unusual weapons for the fighter (Another spiked chain? And just in time for me to upgrade? What are the odds!) but you can't just take a symbol of a nature god as booty from a priest of a death god.

Hm. Then again, I suppose such things could certainly be sitting around, about to be disenchanted by said death priest.

Destil

Explorer
Sojorn said:
The little bit of fluff discription just jarred a thought loose in my head.

Are clerics expected to make their +1-6 holy symbols or do they just happen to find these more powerful symbols of their specific faith as they adventure? I suppose it's no stranger than finding unusual weapons for the fighter (Another spiked chain? And just in time for me to upgrade? What are the odds!) but you can't just take a symbol of a nature god as booty from a priest of a death god.

Hm. Then again, I suppose such things could certainly be sitting around, about to be disenchanted by said death priest.
4ePHB said:
Unlike other implements, you need only to wear a holy symbol for its property or power to function. If you are wearing or holding more than one holy symbol, none of your symbols function.
I haven't looked into the DMG too much or the magic item creation ritual, but I'dallow a player to spend some minimal amount of gold to re-concacrate a holy symbol that they have captured.

Sojorn

First Post
Destil said:
I haven't looked into the DMG too much or the magic item creation ritual, but I'dallow a player to spend some minimal amount of gold to re-concacrate a holy symbol that they have captured.
I'd probably let it go with 5 minutes of prayer to reshape/reform and bless the thing. Coincidentally the amount of time it takes to ID something :D

Maybe it would take more effort if I felt like making an adventure out of it.

MindWanderer

First Post
Destil said:
4ePHB said:
Unlike other implements, you need only to wear a holy symbol for its property or power to function. If you are wearing or holding more than one holy symbol, none of your symbols function.
Doesn't that kind of defeat the advantage of the Holy Avenger, that it can be used as an implement?

I recall that in an early preview, paladins could use their shield as an implement. Guess that got canned.

Destil

Explorer
MindWanderer said:
Doesn't that kind of defeat the advantage of the Holy Avenger, that it can be used as an implement?

I recall that in an early preview, paladins could use their shield as an implement. Guess that got canned.
I think the point is you don't need a +5 holy symbol AND a +5 weapon, rather than access.

It also lets clerics use shields if they want (clerics don't get the prof for free, but feats are common enough that it could be worth it).

ShockMeSane

First Post
Tallarn said:
This is a wonderful thread - thank you!

If anyone has time, I'd love to see a 30 level Rogue...

Since I made one today for my own devices, your wish is my command. Sorry for all the demigods, lack of items and bad formatting, but eh, time-savers :)

Level 30 Elf Demigod Rogue Daggermaster

Str 26 +8 HP 170 bloodied 85
Con 13 +1 Surge 43 per day 7
Dex 28 +9 AC 47 Fort 39, Ref 44, Will 35
Int 10 +0
Wis 13 +1 Init +28 Move 8
Cha 14 +2

Skills: Stealth (+32), Thievery (+32), Perception (+23), Acrobatics (+29), Athletics (+28), Bluff (+22)

Feats: Backstabber, Armor Prof: Hide, Improved Initiative, Skill Focus: Stealth+Thievery, Nimble Blade
Power Attack, Press the Advantage, Quick Draw, Weapon Focus: Light Blade (+3), Two Weapon Fighting,
Two-Weapon Defense, Armor Spec: Hide, Evasion, Devastating Critical, Iron Will, Blindfighting,
Unfettered Stride, Fleet-Footed

Race: Group Awareness, Wild Step, Elven Accuracy

Class: First Strike, Brutal Scoundrel, Rogue Weapon, Sneak Attack (5d8+8)

Paragon: Daggermaster Action, Dagger Precision, Dagger Advantage

Epic: Divine Spark, Divine Recovery, Divine Miracle

Basic Attack:
::melee:: Dagger: +34 hit, 2d4+19 damage

At-Will Powers:
::melee:: Deft Strike: +34 hit, 2d4+19 damage
::melee:: Riposte Strike: +34 hit, 2d4+19 damage, same if they attack

Encounter Powers:
::melee:: Hurricane of Blood: +42 hit, 5d4+19
::melee:: Stunning Strike: +34 hit, 1d4+19 damage, Stun
::melee:: Scorpion Strike: +34 hit, immediate interrupt when an ally hits; 2d4+19, shift 8
::melee:: (Paragon) Critical Opportunity: Minor action: +34 hit, 3d4+19, must have crit this turn to use.

Daily Powers:
::melee:: Ghost on the Wind:+34vsWill, 5d4+19, move any adjacent, invis, combat adv. Miss: Half, invis
Bloody Path: Move 8, every OA you provoke instead attacks the enemy who made it.
::melee:: Assassin's Point: +34 hit, 7d4+19 damage; miss: half; Special: with combat advantage
deal double sneak attack or crit damage.
::melee:: (Paragon) Deep Dagger Wound: +34 hit, 4d4+19 ongoing 10(20 on crit); miss half, no ongoing

Utility Powers:
Hide in Plain Sight: Invisible until move. Nothing breaks. (Encounter, Minor)
Dazzling Acrobatics: Shift 16, can climb full speed as part of move (Encounter, Move)
Close Quarters: Move into adjacent square to Large+ foe, gain advantage, foe at -4. (Daily, Move)
(Paragon) Meditation of the Blade: Dagger dice increase to 1d6 (Daily, minor)
Divine Regeneration: Regen+28 (Daily, minor)

Gear: +6 Vicious Dagger, +6 elderHide, +6 Amulet

Have a chuckle about "Assassin's Point" hypothetical (with perfect rolls) 300 damage. And then you spend an action point....

Last edited:

Remove ads