• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Example Character, Levels 1-30

Rowsdower

First Post
I appreciate that write up Eletroshock-Therapy.

A few things though:
1) I don't know what most of those feats actually do.
2) The powers with "damage #(se)". Does it specify what type of damage or can the player decide WHEN using it? And I'll assume se means save ends.
3) For the "1,2 or 3 targets. if 1, +4 hit." that means if you choose 1 target you get a +4 added to the +31?
4) Did I read that right? implement bonus of +6? so it increases in power as the character does?
5) I have a general question about surges. Characters are limited to the number they can use a day? If so, dont they refresh at each extended rest? So there is a good chunk of surges that won't ever get used?

Surgoshan

First Post
I've noticed a few mistakes in calculating HP. I believe the warlock some pages back should have 185 and the 10th level dragonborn paladin only 83.

Excel is pretty darn helpful for this, but the long and short of it is hpperlevel * [level-1] + classbase + currentcon. So your paladin with a con of 14 has a base HP of 29. He gets 6 HP per level and has gained 9 levels to get to level 10. 6*9=54. 54+29=83

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Okay, his quotes are seriously cool. Before anything else, I found myself reading them. All-in-all, great job on the stats as well.

ShockMeSane

First Post
Rowsdower said:
I appreciate that write up Eletroshock-Therapy.

A few things though:
1) I don't know what most of those feats actually do.
2) The powers with "damage #(se)". Does it specify what type of damage or can the player decide WHEN using it? And I'll assume se means save ends.
3) For the "1,2 or 3 targets. if 1, +4 hit." that means if you choose 1 target you get a +4 added to the +31?
4) Did I read that right? implement bonus of +6? so it increases in power as the character does?
5) I have a general question about surges. Characters are limited to the number they can use a day? If so, dont they refresh at each extended rest? So there is a good chunk of surges that won't ever get used?

Yea, there was a lot of time saving stuff in there for stuff I myself found obvious, I'm happy to clarify!

1) Well... maybe not that happy. Honestly, most of them are figured into the stats or have conditional effects. For example Hellfire Blood gives +1 to hit and damage with Fire attacks (its a Tiefling Racial Feat) and I believe I figured that in. I figure you can get a good feel for the character without 'em :)
2) The powers with ongoing damage like Disintegrate...SE in my notes does indeed indicate Save Ends. For Disintegrate in particular, you take the larger number until you save, and then the smaller number until you save.
3) Just so. You can target 1-3 opponents within 20 range, but if you only target 1 your effective attack bonus is +35.
4) I'm going to assume you are referring to the class feature. Each Wizard Implement grants a different encounter ability. The Wands ability is +Dexbonus to hit on one attack roll. IE, I use my wand to do a +37 Meteor Swarm. It is sheerly related to Dex scale, and just happens to coincide with the + of the implement. It's also the reason Dex is so high when it might seem like a bit of an overlapping stat seeing as Int grants the same Reflex/AC bonuses.
5) Yes, that is the number you can use in-between extended rests. However all my playtests prior to getting the books indicated that players go through quite a number of Surges as they use them not only between battles to heal during short rests, but the Clerics heal uses them, as well as Second Winds. In the two games my group ran, Second Winds rather than Daily Powers tended to enforce rests most often.

You have to understand I made these very quickly, in 30 minutes or so as I have no intention of actually playing them, simply an excersize in seeing the new leveling system in action. I hope you forgive any slight mistakes I might have made in my haste. I would pay a great deal more attention to a character I had painstakingly leveled through actual questing ;)

Destil

Explorer
Knight of Glory is the first power with a 'serious' flavor issue. Elic's earlier spirit prayers were generic enough in name, but this guy doesn't summon a knight. In an real game I'd rename the power to something like "Spirit of the wild" and reflavor it as the ghost of a vengeful dryad ghost or something (most of his powers could be renamed and flavored, really).

I think I got masterwork armor right (this could be explained better, or I'm missing something). Once you hit a certain plus the base AC of the armor increased in addition to the enchantment bonus from the plus, at no added cost. Right?

There are next-to no level 10+ religion and nature rituals [in fact they almost entirely stop at level 22] :( Anything at the higher levels with a check isn't too appealing with Elic's untrained, no Int bonus Arcana rolls. Of course wizards gain new rituals for free every 5 levels, so I know why we need as many arcane as we have here... I think allowing Religion and Nature for some of the arcane rituals like scrying will be my first house rule.

Also it's odd that the Solar Wrath doesn't have the implement keyword. It looks like any power with an attack roll needs wither implement or weapon to keep up.

Elic Moongrove Elf Radiant Servant of Melora (level 20)
"I've no time for a warped mockery of nature like you."
Code:
Str 13 +1    HP: 119 (bloodied:59)        Speed 9 squares
Dex 16 +3    Healing surges/day: 8        Init +13
Con 12 +1    AC: 31 (& evasion)
Int 11  0    Fort: 25 Refl: 29 Will: 32
Wis 23 +6    Passive Perception: 33 Intuition: 26
Cha 19 +4    Resist Fire & Cold 10
Languages: Common, Elven
Skills: Religion +21, Heal +21, Diplomacy +19, Insight +21, Nature +23, Perception +23
Armor Check -1
At Will
Longbow :ranged: +17 vs AC: 1d10+9 damage. Range 20/40. +4d6 thunder damage on a crit
Spear :bmelee: +11 vs AC: 1d8+1 damage or 1d8+2 two-handed (versatile)
:ranged: Lance of Faith*: +20 vs reflex: 1d8+13 radiant damage, one ally within sight gets +2 to next attack against same foe
:ranged: Sacred Flame*: +20 vs reflex: 1d6+13 radiant, one ally within sight gains 14 temp HP or can make a saving throw

Encounter
Elven Accuracy: Reroll attack at +2(free, elf racial)
Hunter's Quarry: +2d6 damage vs nearest foe for one round (minor, ranger multiclass)
:close: Healing Word: burst 10 - Grant a healing surge +4d6+6 healing (minor, cleric feature, 2/encounter)
:ranged: Break the Spirit*: +20 v. Will: 2d8+13 radiant damage, target takes -4 to attacks (until next turn) (Standard, cleric 7)
:close: Solar Wrath: burst 8 - +16 vs Will: 3d8+9 radiant damage, undead and demons are stunned (standard, paragon 11)
:close: Mantle of Glory *: blast 5 - +20 vs Will: 2d10+13 radiant damage, each ally in the area can spend a healing surge (standard - cleric 13)
:ranged: Arrow of Vengeance: +23 vs AC: 2d10+7 damage. (immediate reaction to an attack against an ally within range, ranger 17)
Channel Divinity [choose 1 / encounter (cleric feature)]
  • Divine Fortune: +1 to one attack or save (free)
  • :close: Turn Undead: burst 5 - +20 vs will; Undead hit are dealt 4d10+13 radiant damage, pushed 7 squares, immobilized (1 turn); half damage on a miss (standard)
  • :ranged: Melora's Tide: The target must be bloodied. They gain regeneration 4 until they are no longer bloodied (minor)
Daily
:area: Flame Strike*: burst 2 - +20 vs Reflex: 2d10+13 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends), half damage on a miss
:close: Seal of Warding*: burst 3, zone - +20 vs Will: 4d10+13 radiant damage and slowed (end of turn); half damage and no slowing on a miss. The zone is difficult terrain that provides cover for allies against ranged attacks (standard, sustain minor, cleric 15)
:ranged: Knight of Glory*: conjures a ghostly knight until the end of the encounter - +20 vs AC: 3d10+13 radiant damage. The knight can move 5 squares (move), attack once per round (minor). (standard, cleric 19)
:ranged: Radiant Brilliance*: +20 vs Reflex: 3d10+13 radiant damage. Hit or miss at the start of next turn ::area:: burst 5 at target (foes only) - +20 vs Wis: 3d10+6 radiant damage; half on a miss

Utility
:ranged: Divine Aid:[encounter] You or an ally within 5 makes a saving throw with a +4 bonus (standard, cleric 2)
:close: Divine Vigor:[daily] burst 5 - All allies regain the use of their second wind (minor, cleric 6)
:close: Mass cure light wounds:[daily] burst 5 - All allies regain HP as if they had spent a healing surge +10 (standard, cleric 10)
:close: Healing Sun:[daily] burst 2, zone - All allies who end their turn in the zone regain 15 HP. Demons or undead that enter or start their turn in the zone 1d10+10 radiant damage. Ends when bloodied. (Standard - sustain standard, paragon 12)
:close: Divine Armor:[daily] burst 3 - +2 power bonus to AC for you, all allies gain resist 5 to all damage until the end of the encounter (standard, cleric 16)

Misc
Barkskin:[daily] +3 power bonus to AC until end of encounter, -1 each time AC is hit (minor, armor)
Thunderstrike[daily]: +2d8 thunder damage and push target 1 square on a hit (free, bow)

Race/Class/Path/Items
+2 Nature, Perception
Prof: Longbow, shortbow, simple melee, & simple ranged weapons; cloth, leather, hide & chain armor
Wild Step: Shift into difficult terrain
Healer's Lore: +6 healing with powers that have the healing keyword
Illuminating Attacks: Radiant keyword powers crit on a 19-20 (paragon 11)
Radiant Action: When spending an action point a foe within 5 squares takes ongoing radiant damage 20 (save ends) (paragon 11)
Lasting Light: Undead and Demons -2 to save (paragon 15)
Implement powers, marked with a *, deal +4d6 damage on a crit (holy symbol)

Feats
  • Warrior of the Wild: Nature trained, hunter's quarry 1/encounter
  • Astral Fire: +2 damage with radiant & fire powers
  • Weapon Focus(Bows): +2 to damage with bows
  • Skill Training (Perception): +5 and can use trained only
  • Melora’s Tide: channel divinity
  • Novice Power: Exchanged cleric encounter for ranger
  • Point Blank Shot: Ignore cover & concealment within 5 squares
  • Evasion: Half damage on a miss vs. AC or Reflex for area and close attacks
  • Fleet Footed: +1 speed
  • Sly Hunter: +3 damage to attacks with bows against targets with no other creature within 3 squares
  • Elven Precision: +2 to rerolls with Elven Accuracy
Equipment
Holy Symbol +6 [level 21] (Pearl white seashell broach with an embossed silver moon)
Barkskin Darkhide Armor +4 (+8AC, -1 check) [level 20]
Cloak of Survival (Resist fire and cold 10)+4[level 19]
Thundering Longbow +4[85000 gp]
Ritual prayer book with Animal Messenger, Gentle Repose, Brew Potion [75gp], Commune with Nature [360gp], Cure Disease [360], Make Whole[50gp], Remove Affliction[680gp], Raise Dead[680gp], Water Breathing [680gp], Consult Oracle [9000], Endure Elements[100gp], Water Walk[100gp], Cure Disease [680 gp], Sending [680 gp], Magic Circle [250gp], Traver's Feats [175gp]
Boots of Striding (+1 speed)[4200 gp]
1980 gp

Last edited:

Japhane

First Post
Can anyone help me figure out how Spatula's level one fighter has a +6 Basic Attack?

I see the +3 for STR, and the +1 for 2H Weapons, but where is the other +2 coming from? The only think I could see would be the bonus +2 for AO's, but then why consider that into the base attack?

Any and all help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Cadfan

First Post
Japhane- weapons have innate bonuses to attack rolls in 4e. This bonus is generally +2 or +3. Its one of the ways that weapons are different from each other- some weapons are more accurate, others deal more damage.

So his fighter is using a weapon that has a natural bonus of +2.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads