• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

an example of one of my fighting styles: Ostarian Rose

Loonook

First Post
Styles:

Knowledge : (Ostarian Rose)

Requisites: Jump (2 Ranks), Tumbling (3 Ranks), Dancing (2 Rank) No other Weapon Styles,

Skills: The Ostarian Rose is a very skill-oriented style of fighting and relies on talent that is difficult to come by. Named for their sigul, the Rose make use weapons known as Thorns of Ostaria, a set of guantlets that have a long blade attached to one and short blade attached to the other. These blades bear long spines on the end for use in impaling attacks and in locking the blades together (allowing for limited grappling, and, at higher levels, a improved Whirlwind attack). The style is very fluid, relying on an ability to move and finesse, feint and dodge. An Ostarian Rose fighter will not wear armor that is heavier than chain mail, and even then hates having to use it... a magical suit of armor is very desirable, as is the armor of their native plane known as Hangingwood Plate (an organic work which is both flexible and extremely hard, functioning at a +6 armor bonus/+4 max dex, 0 check penalty, move at 30/20, and wears 12 pounds.... it is highly rare to find a suit outside of the G'eshian plane, and it is revered highly by those who use it.) the blades themselves function as a short and long sword respectively, and are usually expensive to find (treated as exotic outside of G'esh, and are usually masterwork).

For every 4 ranks in the skill, you gain a +2 to attack and damage rolls. To advance 5 ranks, you must raise the ranks of Tumbling and Jumping also.... with each skill, the allowed Feats are increased:

4 Skill Ranks: Gains Improved two-weapon strike (is the only Free Feat allowed by the Ostarian Rose)
8 Skill Ranks: Allows Spring Attack without requiring Dodge or Mobility (if Dodge is taken before this point, the user gains an additional +1 bonus att/damage, if both Dodge and Mobility are taken before this point then +3/+3
12 skill ranks: Whirlwind Attack can be gained, if gained before this point, gain Enhanced Whirlwind

Enhanced Whirlwind:
Prereq: Whirlwind

Benefit: Acts as a whirlwind, but may radiate out for 5 feet (allowing a line 5 ft and 5' circle thick).

16 Ranks: Gain the Impale Attack (4d20+height*3, requires a running start of at least 50 feet - level, which, when added to height, must make the trajectory of the top of the curve's hypotenuse 50'.

20 Ranks: An attack may continue for up to Level * 10 feet against creatures at least 1/2 the HD of the character.

Ostarian Rose fighters may take 30-rank of combat rounds to observe a fighter... this is time to prepare and gain an idea of the skill level, fatigue (HP) and weakness (1 point penalty to armor and checks, damage for every study set). This time must be in view of attacking, and may not exceed 3 observations at a time (divided as the character chooses). The fighter gains an extra attack no matter his class for every 3 ranks on his standard hand, and on his offhand he gains an attack every 6. This is in addition to any number of other attacks

Shinsetsu

First Post
I'm assuming that everyone in your campaign has access to this kind of fighting style, and that many house rules provide for balance within your campaign world, so I'm not going to try to tell you how to play, or how to design your fighter's skill progression.

However...

I feel as though investing only 4 skill points for a +2 to hit and damage is a bit too... liberal? I DM an oriental world campaign, where characters can invest skill points into martial arts knowledge, to allow for certain bonuses, but the bonuses which I decided on are circumstantial, like gaining a +1 bonus to grappling attacks only, a +1 bonus to either to hit OR to damage for every 10 skill ranks, +1 to pin an opponent's weapon or disarm them, or if you delay or ready an attack, you gain a +1 bonus to hit, since you read your opponent and then counter them, or you could substitute your martial arts knowledge ranks when making a sense motive roll to discover your opponent's style, and use it to your advantage (to analyze which methods of attack are his strong suit, and would therefore know where you stood with your own skills). Most of these examples are basically applying weapon focus to various combat maneuvers, as they grant a bonus only to hit. (Of course, the power attack feat gives you the option to convert "to hit bonuses" into "damage bonuses", but you can't have it all at the same time)
I hope you can see where it may be construed as too powerful, when some skill ranks can surpass the effects of feats or even prestige class levels.
Giving a character a raw +2 bonus to both attack and damage for only 4 skill points seems rudely unbalancing. The prerequisites for your jump and tumble skills may seem to balance this kind of progression, but those skills have benefits on their own- it's not like spending skill points in profession or perform.
Fighters have few skill points, also, but give them a level of rogue, and see what happens. Then, there's the "no other weapon styles" prerequisite, which I disagree with completely, from a philosophical, if not scientific standpoint. A weapon master should educate himself in as many other styles as he can, to know how his style will work against them. Know thy self, and know thy enemy. There should never be a rule that you may never learn other styles of weapon combat, unless it's the rule of some NPC that's a thorn in your character's side.

Anyway, these are just some things you may want to think about, and I didn't mean to be too harsh. I'm all for house ruling combat. Keep at it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads