• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Idea about Dungeon Magazine

Can a magazine compete against Dungeon?

• Dungeon Magazine in the only source for quality adventures

Votes: 27 14.8%
  • Dungeon Magazine should explore other settings besides default D&D

Votes: 52 28.4%
  • I like Dungeon Magazine's adventures to be in default D&D.

Votes: 86 47.0%
  • I like Dungeon Magazine's full color format.

Votes: 98 53.6%
  • I think a magazine competing with Dungeon should also be set in default D&D

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I'd like the competitor to fill it's own niche.

Votes: 106 57.9%
  • I'd like the competitor to have a full color format.

Votes: 60 32.8%

• Poll closed .

Patlin

Explorer
If by default D&D you mean Greyhawk, Dungeon isn't only default D&D. I left those selections alone, but I do want Dungeon to use the D&D rules. It's easier to adapt a dreaded forgotten realms adventure (I hate the realms!) to my campaign than a d20 Future adventure, and I buy Dungeon to use in my campaign.

Big Jake

First Post
I would love to see a magazine that filled the void of adventures based on other d20 publishers.

Dungeon will often include an adventure that incorporates rules from new books (Frostburn, Libris Mortis, Draconomicon), and many of the downloadable adventures from Wizards.com do the same thing. What we don't see is adventures that use rules from Poison Craft by Blue Devil Games, races from Fantasy Flight Games' Mythic Races, or the variant classes from Green Ronin's Master Class Series, or the Unlikely Heroes by Plot Device.

For those of us that buy and use these products, I'd really love to see adventures built around them.

Sir Elton

First Post
Patlin said:
If by default D&D you mean Greyhawk, Dungeon isn't only default D&D. I left those selections alone, but I do want Dungeon to use the D&D rules. It's easier to adapt a dreaded forgotten realms adventure (I hate the realms!) to my campaign than a d20 Future adventure, and I buy Dungeon to use in my campaign.
Maybe I should change that to "theme." Dungeon just provides D&D adventures themed around mainstream fantasy.

Mystery Man

First Post
Patlin said:
Looks like they have a bunch of great new FR adventures coming down sometime soon. Trust me, I for one will be reveling in your misery. And enjoying every second of it.

Ah, and I think the Dungeon is running fine the way it is now. They should leave the format it as is.

Last edited:

Sir Elton

First Post
MatthewJHanson said:
I'd like it to have a full color format, but I'd also like it to be free and delivered to me by trained monkey ninjas. I realize that the realities of pubishing means it would probably end up black and white.

Also I think the only way it could compete is if it fills another niche.
If I did such a magazine, it would fill another niche. Like the pulp theme. We would probably go full out for pulp as well, even probably have it printed on cheap pulp paper, like the old Dungeon Magazine in the 80's when TSR was running the show by themselves.

Adventures would entirely be pulp. With a feel that would either be noir, wahoo, or something inbetween. Adventures can range from Jungle science fiction (Tarzan, Sheena), to swords and sorcery and heroic fantasy (Conan, the Beastmaster), to hardboiled detective stories (the Maltese Falcon), to horror and soft science fiction (Chulthu, the Mummy, Buck Rogers, Mars Attacks, Flash Gordon, and Indiana Jones).

edit: I'd probably even set it up so that the magazine only buys First North American publishing rights. This is so that the author can retain his copyright. The rules would also be that adventures so written must use 100% open "no questions asked" content. No crippleware allowed. So therefore, if Monte Cook writes for such a magazine and uses one of his own "crunch," he must realize that the "crunch" he uses will be available for all without his permission. This is to protect the author as well as the publisher.

Last edited:

Sir Elton said:
Now I know Enworld is not the best place to do a professional poll, but I do want to see some results. If you wish to respond, respond as too how and why you voted. Okay? :)
That's OK, this is nothing like a professional poll. :p

Honestly, I can't understand what most of those responses have to do with the question. I wouldn't mind replying, and in fact, I'd like to, but I can't make heads nor tails of it.

Davelozzi

Explorer
I agree with Joshua and Jeff that this poll makes very little sense. At any rate, I think Dungeon is great, but from what I understand Paizo doesn't have a very easy time being profitable with it. So I think that trying to start a competing mag would not be a very smart idea, business-wise. After all, you're either competing with something that doesn't have huge success already, and yet is highly regarded, or you're trying to make your own way in an even smaller niche. Either way, that's going to be difficult.

That said, I personally like your pulp adventures idea.

Maliki

First Post
I think another Dungeon style magazine could work if it had support from 3rd party publishers. Publishers could use the magazine to help promote new or existing settings, showcase optional rules etc. I for one would like to see further adventures in some of the settings intoduced in Necromancer games modules(Grey Citadel, Lost City of Barakusand others), or in Troll Lord Games Erde setting either D20 or Castle and Crusades, Grim Tales, Conan RPG, Midnight etc.

Color for me is not an issue the quality of the modules are far more important to me than how pretty it is. Now days I get more out of the DM articles in Dungeon than the actual adventures. I got far more out of the Dungeon adventures before the switch to the color format.

Remove ads