• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Idea...

Cactot

First Post
I have been contemplating attempting to make a homebrew system where the following is true:

There are only 3 "classes" to choose from.

Melee

Rogue

Caster

Within each class you can create the previous classes using feats rather than spells.

Melee and Rogue classes never get "spells", but can achieve spell like affects through skills and feats.

Each "path" would require an initiation, like a ceremonial feat from AU, with some inherent restriction, and would be required to take any feats that are further along the path.

Certian spells that if brought into real life would be "game breaking" will either be removed or raised in level significantly (and any magical items with the effect would be raised in price/exp appropriately)
(ex. Teleport, Invis, Improved Invis, Rez)

Its a pretty basic, but pretty severe change. And it is one I feel could add more flavor and realism to the game.

Anyone ever seen anything like this?

If not, would anyone be interested in seeing something like this?

If so, might you link me some information about it?

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
First, welcome to the forums!

Second, yes I have. By a poster known as Loghan Shadowhand. All skills were class skills and only very basic abilities applied to one of three classes. Sadly, I have lost the link to his site. Mea Culpa.

Cactot

First Post
thank you greatly for the warm reception, i will check out those forums, and i hope somebody here can find that link to the completed work = )

Illuminae

First Post
What if the heroes came to a city, and found out that there is powerful demon hiding in the the citys very church?

Wouldnt that be cool?

;)

Since you seem to be familiar with AU, I'd highly recommend porting over their Magister class, and their magic system in general. Best balance between crazy customization and "D&D feel" I've seen yet.

Cactot

First Post
Aye, i dont know how i left that out. There is only going to be one casting class, and they will use the spellcasting system that the magister uses.

Remove ads