• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Incorporeal Undead's... Gear and Feats...?

airwalkrr

Adventurer
[sblock=Getting off-topic here...]Anything that attacks ability scores in D&D is pretty nasty, especially if it kills you and spawns another ability score damager once you hit 0. IMC I run ability score damage a little differently. I always round down to the nearest even number. So a shadow with an average of 3.5 Str damage becomes 2 Str damage. However, a single shadow in the hands of a single PC is not so much of an issue as a group of PCs being attacked by four shadows, or even a pair of lucky ones. By the time the shadowdancer gets the shadow, you are talking about level 10 and most CR 10+ monsters aren't going to really worry about the occasional 1d6 Str as much as a level 10 PC would. Finally, any decent DM is going to be quick to catch on and find ways to negate or lessen that advantage. I'm not saying the problem or opportunity for abuse isn't there, but it certainly isn't as big of an issue from the PC side of things.[/sblock]Jimlock, my only other suggestion might be to look in the Ghostwalk campaign setting. There might be some ideas in there. I own it but haven't ever really looked that carefully at it, but I know it uses the idea of PCs as ghosts.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Any chance you could convince your DM that the Natural Bond feat, which is Druid/Animal Companion specific, could also apply to this "Unique Companion"?

Jimlock

Adventurer
The Darkstalker feat from Lords of Madness would make you near undetectable.

gasp128621880395628935.jpg

DUDE I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! (IN A STRAIGHT WAY OF COURSE)

SOMEBODY XP XIGBAR FOR ME PLEASE!!!

Why.... how...(*drooling*) why.... was I not aware that such a feat existed!!!

man_praying.jpg

A silent prayer to god xigbar....

....NOW... I am complete....

xigbar

Explorer
gasp128621880395628935.jpg

DUDE I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!! (IN A STRAIGHT WAY OF COURSE)

SOMEBODY XP XIGBAR FOR ME PLEASE!!!

Why.... how...(*drooling*) why.... was I not aware that such a feat existed!!!

man_praying.jpg

A silent prayer to god xigbar....

....NOW... I am complete....

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Well, I really love the swift hunter build, so it's fairly standard for me. Grab a smaller race for absurd hide and move silently.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Any chance you could convince your DM that the Natural Bond feat, which is Druid/Animal Companion specific, could also apply to this "Unique Companion"?

:cool: heh...

Don't think so...

...no I'm lying, I know so. Thing is I probably wouldn't allow it to my players either.

Despite the awesomeness of the Darkstalker feat (I'm still trembling with excitement...)...
...thing is I haven't yet heard of an awesome optimization proposal for the Shadow pet. :rant:

It's the first time in this forum I ask an "optimization" question and you guys are turning up empty handed!!!!!
(xigbar is granted amnesty for providing Darkstalker).

Come on!!!!
I'm sure someone, somewhere, sometime has found something cool for the shadow pet....

Here's where I'm at for the time being.

From Libris Mortis:

EMPOWERED ABILITY DAMAGE [MONSTER]

Your ability damage (or ability drain) special attack is more potent than normal.
Prerequisite: CHA 11, undead type, incorporeal subtype, supernatural ability to drain or damage an ability score
Benefit: All variable, numeric effects of an empowered ability damage or ability drain special attack are increased by 50%. For example, an allip with this feat drains 1-1/2 times the normal amount of Wisdom (roll 1d4 and multiply the result by 1-1/2).
Rulebook: Libris Mortis (p. 26)
That's a nice feat... if one would like his shadow to do more damage... yet somehow I'm not excited about this one.

GHOSTLY GRASP [MONSTER]
You can handle corporeal objects even while incorporeal.
Prerequisite: CHA 15, incorporeal subtype
Benefit: You can wear, wield, and otherwise use corporeal items as though you were not incorporeal.
Special: Without this feat, an incorporeal creature can only wear or wield items that have the ghost touch special ability.
Rulebook: Libris Mortis (p. 27)
This one is really nice, still a shadow has a CHA of 13 and it only gets one ability point before the Shadowdancer runs out of levels.
A shame really... if one stops and thinks all the powerful gear the pet could sport.
Even more, it's unclear whether the items turn incorporeal as well. I'm guessing they do because on page 65 of the RC:
EQUIPMENT
Incorporeal creatures can’t manipulate or carry corporeal objects. A creature must be able to swallow a potion or smear on an oil. Because of this, incorporeal creatures can’t use potions or oils.
Equipment worn or carried by an incorporeal creature is also incorporeal as long as that equipment remains in the creature’s possession. An object the creature relinquishes loses its incorporeal quality, and the creature loses the ability to manipulate that object. Magic items possessed by an incorporeal creature work normally with respect to their effects on the creature or on another target. Similarly, spells cast by an incorporeal creature affect corporeal creatures normally.

what do you guys think?

LIFEBOND[MONSTER]
Select a specifi c living creature that is friendly to you. You create a special bond with that creature.
Prerequisite: CHA 11, undead type
Benefit: Whenever the chosen creature is within 60 feet, you gain a +4 bonus to your turn resistance and a +2 bonus on all saving throws. If the chosen creature dies, you lose these bonuses and take a -2 penalty on all saves for 24 hours. If you replace the chosen creature with another living creature, the bond can be transferred at your option.
Special: This feat can be selected multiple times. Each time you select this feat, you apply its effects to a different living ally of yours. The effects of multiple lifebonded allies stack.
Rulebook: Libris Mortis (p. 28)
This one is good for the saves only since the pet is unturnable/uncommandable... Still the shadow is:
Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).
Immunity to poison, sleep effects, paralysis, stunning, disease, and death effects.
Not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability drain, or energy drain. Immune to damage to its physical ability scores (Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution), as well as to fatigue and exhaustion effects.
Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).
... so this feat is not really useful...

LIFESENSE[MONSTER]
You see the light that all living creatures emit.
Prerequisite: CHA 13, Con -- (no Constitution score)
Benefit: In addition to any normal light that might be present, your surroundings are illuminated by roving points of brightness created by living creatures. To your eyes, a Medium or smaller creature gives off life force suffi cient to provide bright illumination in a 60-foot radius, revealing itself and all features and objects in range to your life-adapted sight. This life-light behaves like regular light--you can't see into solid objects, or past solid walls. A Large creature gives off life-light in a 120-foot radius, and the radius doubles again for each additional size category larger than Medium, up to a maximum radius of 960 feet for a Colossal creature.
Now this one is really really cool. All living creatures are utterly detectable no matter their stealthy abilities. The shadow communicates the info to the PC... pinpointing is next.

NECROTIC RESERVE [MONSTER]
You are not immediately destroyed when your hit points fall to 0 or lower.
Prerequisite: CHA 13, supernatural ability to drain or damage an ability score or drain energy
Benefit: Each day that you slake your hunger by draining or damaging a living creature's ability score, or draining a living creature's life force, you gain a necrotic reserve. On days when you have created a reserve, you are weakened but not destroyed when you are dealt enough damage to reduce your hit points to 0 or lower. A weakened undead acting on the strength of its necrotic reserve may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can it take full-round actions). It moves at half speed. Taking move actions doesn't risk further injury, but performing any standard action (or any other action the DM deems strenuous, including some free actions such as casting a quickened spell) immediately expends the necrotic reserve. Unless the action increased the weakened undead's hit points, it is destroyed. A weakened undead acting on the strength of its necrotic reserve is also destroyed if it is dealt additional damage after the attack that fi rst weakened it. An undead may only rely on a necrotic reserve up to once per day, even if it engages in additional feeding following its successful return to positive hit points.
Normal: Undead reduced to 0 hit points or lower are immediately destroyed.
Not bad, still kind of weakened by the fact that the pet needs a new kill every day in order to take the benefit.

Equipement

Well... I haven't found anything apart ghost touch weapons and armors. Weapons are IMO kind of useless cause I can't think of a weapon more potent that its touch... still I can't be sure... ideas?

Ghost touch armor seems the right direction, still the whole package starts at 10K for a +1...
Any ideas for other armor abilities worth combining with the ghost touch one?

The shadow, does not need boost in saves ...or immunities in some weird stuff...
The most potent spells cannot harm it... yet a +1 dagger can kill it... almost right off...
It needs to be able to take damage and absorb energy types...
that's my guess for now...

Last edited:

Jack Simth

First Post
Flyby attack, out of the Monster Manual. One feat to get most the benefits of Spring Attack. Requires a fly speed, but hey: Your companion qualifies. If you can invoke the PHB II retraining rules for your companion, even better.

But yes, the stuff you already found in Libris Mortis is pretty much the type of thing to get as a feat.

Jimlock

Adventurer
Flyby attack, out of the Monster Manual. One feat to get most the benefits of Spring Attack. Requires a fly speed, but hey: Your companion qualifies.

I thought of that too... but as much as they look alike you don't get the most precious of benefits...

with Flyby Attack, you still provoke an AoO. And the pet has only 19 HPs...

As for not risking being attacked:
Although an incorporeal creature inside an object can sense the presence of creatures or objects in a square adjacent to its current location, such objects or creatures have total concealment against the incorporeal creature’s attacks while it remains inside the object. An incorporeal creature hiding inside a solid object receives a +2 circumstance bonus on Listen checks, because solid objects carry sound well. Pinpointing an opponent from inside a solid object uses the same rules as pinpointing invisible opponents. To sense farther from the object it is inside and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge. An incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object, it has only cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks.

So the shadow is under the floor, emerges to hit (50% to hit, enemy has TC in respect to shadow), and goes back in before getting hit ("goes back in": it's hand and perhaps part of it's body, for it never left the floor, it just reached out). Of course, as mentioned, a readied action will hit it.
But i think that a 50% miss chance to hit is far better than a 50% to take the hit :)

If you can invoke the PHB II retraining rules for your companion, even better.
Nahhh... I'm probably going to get my self shot if I invoke THAT rule for the shadow pet... and rightfully so I think! :)

Any ideas on how to boost its CHA to 15... without breaking the rules?

Is the ghost touch ability reserved for weapons and armor only... or is there a way to put this on wondrous items as well.... ?

How about those rules for creating magical items in the end of the magical items chapter?

Shin Okada

Explorer
Regarding magic items. Shouldn't contingent spell from Complete Arcane work?

Say, casting some Inflict Wounds spells when the shadow's hp total is dropped to X.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads