• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An innocent Terrasque?

Daedrova

First Post
Have you ever wondered about the morality of slaying the Terrasque? To my surprise, this issue came up during a D&D session I was playing in last night.

I know many may not have had the chance to face off against the infamous creature… but has this issue even arisen in anyone’s mind?

What happened to bring this up goes as follows: Our party had learned that an artifact sought was in the possession of some foolish young adventurer when he was consumed by the Terrasque some years ago.

A friend of this unfortunate monster snack witnessed the occurrence and actually followed the beast for some days (at minimal safe distance) and watched it eventually wade into the sea. There he saw some robe figure also observing the creature, and made a note of where this suspicious fellow went (a hidden entrance in a cliff face near the sea) but never found the courage to investigate further.

When we found that he had information on this artifact, he divulged all the previous information on us, and led us to that place. We made our way into the hidden entrance, and through quite the treacherous dungeon which led us miles below the surface. Finally we came to the resting form of the colossal Terrasque.

Now, from being the learned (30th level prolific) characters that we are, my thought was to slay the beast so he could no longer bring such suffering and destruction to the world… we were down one player this session, so there were three of us. The other two were a CN female Elven Rogue (30) who has been a friend of my character since there elven youths, the other a CN female Halfling Wizard (30). My character is a CN male Elven Ranger/Fighter.

When I drew my weapons to attack the sleeping menace I was the immediate target of disdain from both the other characters… I was suddenly being accused of “murder” and being “dishonorable” for such an action. I explained my intent (above) quite reasonably and they accused me of some type of meta-gaming… “oh, how do you know about this creature?”

A quick question of the DM confirmed that when he first mentioned “Terrasque” it was under the assumption that our (very experienced and learned) characters did indeed know of this creature.

Oh, some of the statements were as follows:

“the creature is no more intelligent than an animal, I am not going to kill an innocent creature.”

“It is not like it is currently hurting anyone, it would be like kicking a Doberman Pincer because you know it is a mean dog and may bite someone someday”

After a bit of an argument, when I told them that I would proceed and that their arguments seemed extremely unreasonable, they left me to face the beast, scoffing and making comments such as “good luck [sarcastically], hope it doesn’t hurt too bad when it eats you.”
This from long time friends?

Was my action wrong? Were they justified to leave me to face such a danger alone?

Philip

Explorer
Daedrova said:
This from long time friends?

Was my action wrong? Were they justified to leave me to face such a danger alone?

Why did you not heed your long time friends? Even if you did not agree, if there was no immediate danger, you didn't treat your friends with a lot of respect by disregarding them and acting hastily.

Their promise of not helping you was their way of saying: 'This means a lot to us, if you are our friend, don't do this'.

Although I would expect them to save you from the Tarrasque if you were about to die, despite their threat/promise.

You action of slaying the Tarrasque was not wrong, disregarding the wishes of your long-time friends was.

Zappo

Explorer
[IMHO]

The entire debacle is ridiculous. No, really, I was laughing while reading.

What do they think that anyone in a middle-ageish setting would do to a rabid wolf? Or a normal wolf, for that matter? Hint: it's the same thing that most people do to dangerous animals today in most of the world. Either you capture it, or you kill it. And you don't take too many pains in trying to capture it either. Now multiply the problem by 1000: anyone who isn't raving mad would jump at the chance to kill the Tarrasque as soon as the occasion presents itself.

Besides, I doubt that even the most extreme animal-rights activist would put his friend in danger for trying to kill an "animal" that can easily raze a town if it gets hungry.

Hell, even if the party was entirely composed of druids, the monster isn't even a natural creature. Either they are playing CN as "insane", which would at least explain their choice, or for some reason they have decided to find a moral dilemma where there isn't any.

[/IMHO]

Gnarlo

Gnome Lover
Supporter
The only good Terrasque is a dead Terrasque. I agree with your reasoning of the course of action, as well as of course a 30th level character should have heard of the Terrasque, it's a creature of legendary status (or should be). Your friends IMO were doing the meta-gaming by bringing in 20th century values to the situation as neither was a druid or ranger with that excuse (and I'll forstall the coming replies by saying yes, I am aware that D&D is usually 20th Century America with a thin pseudo-medieval wrapper). I will give them credit for playing against the "I kill her and all her children, burn her house and salt the earth because I don't like her shirt; oh, and I give a cute puppy to all the kids at the orphanage" CE confused for CN stereotype, however :)

edit: gotta quit taking so long to type up my replies, Zappo said it much better while I was downstairs finding which of my moving boxes held my MM :lol:

Last edited:

Al

First Post
Philip said:
Why did you not heed your long time friends? Even if you did not agree, if there was no immediate danger, you didn't treat your friends with a lot of respect by disregarding them and acting hastily.

Their promise of not helping you was their way of saying: 'This means a lot to us, if you are our friend, don't do this'.

Although I would expect them to save you from the Tarrasque if you were about to die, despite their threat/promise.

You action of slaying the Tarrasque was not wrong, disregarding the wishes of your long-time friends was.

Oh, right, so what if the friends were chaotic evil, and asked you not to stop a rampaging mass murderer? In any case, if they were truly friends, would they leave you to potentially be slaughtered- particularly since you don't have wish, is the halfling wizardess going to stand by whilst the terror eats you then devastates the surrouding villages.

Disregarding the wishes of others is not wrong per se, particularly in canon D&D where alignment is objective. It doesn't give two hoots as to what you, or your friends think.

“the creature is no more intelligent than an animal, I am not going to kill an innocent creature.”

As specious as it is wrong. Not only is it perfectly legitimate to "put down" ravaging animals, particularly those of the mass-murdering variety, the tarrasque has Int 3. It is therefore sentient.

“It is not like it is currently hurting anyone, it would be like kicking a Doberman Pincer because you know it is a mean dog and may bite someone someday”

Well, no. Most Doberman Pincers haven't eaten thousands of innocent villagers. Given that you know, in character, the history of the beast, attacking it is no worse than attacking a sentient mass murderer.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Personally I'd tend to agree with your friends (but then I usaully play druidy types:))

Anyway more impotantly even though the Tarrasque is a creature of legend so is a 30th level character and as such they are above the morals of lesser mortals.

In other words
a. at Lv 30 you ought to be Legendary Heroes and so do have a choice not to slay the poor defenseless creature - in the original story the Tarasque was tamed (by St Martha iirc) and of course St Francis of Asisi tamed & befriended a rabid wolf (thus countering all those rabid wolf arguments above)
b. at Lv 30 you do have more options than simply killing it - stick it in some pocket dimension where it can't hurt anyone, shrink it to the size of a small bug so that the only thing it will be feasting on is ant colonies, stick it in pemanent stasis at the bottom of the sea, stick it inside a Pokeball and summon it to fight on your behalf (sorry:p)

Anyway thats my opinion...

Last edited:

snarfoogle

First Post
I'm going with Zappo. This Tarrasque is about as smart as the dumbest Half-Orc (which is sentinent), kills thousands times more, and is nigh-impossible to be stopped by people other than you guys. Wouldn't you kill the sleeping Half-Orc FTR10 who previously had killed hundreds? They aren't CG or CE, they're CN and should act accordingly. Even a CG character would slay the Tarrasque.

Chroma

Explorer
Also remember, all the characters involved were Elves, of a Chaotic Neutral bent. Medieval morality examples have even less of a bearing on the situation than usual in a psuedo-medieval setting! *laugh*

Since Big T isn't acutally evil, maybe they saw it as a force a nature not to be disturbed, or something that others deserve to have inflicted on them.

Heck, there might even be a case, particularly with Chaotics, that it's Somebody Else's Problem...

the Jester

Legend
The only moral dilemma I have concerning the tarrasque is when Dzaram the lich should pull him out of his pocket and sic 'im on someone.

Philip

Explorer
Al said:
Oh, right, so what if the friends were chaotic evil, and asked you not to stop a rampaging mass murderer?

Chaotic evil friends? Is this even possible? :)

Al said:
In any case, if they were truly friends, would they leave you to potentially be slaughtered- particularly since you don't have wish, is the halfling wizardess going to stand by whilst the terror eats you then devastates the surrouding villages.

Two Chaotic Neutral friends leaving another 30th lvl character facing off against a CR 20 Tarrasque because they disagree on principles....

That's like your girlfriend asking you to get the hornet you discovered in your home outside alive, and you deciding you want to kill it instead (because it might sting someone).

Al said:
Disregarding the wishes of others is not wrong per se, particularly in canon D&D where alignment is objective. It doesn't give two hoots as to what you, or your friends think.

Actually, there were to questions:

1. Was it right for me to kill the Tarrasque?
To which I said: Sure, no problem.

2. Were my friends justified to let me face the danger alone?
To which I said: Sure, no problem.

Lawful guys generally DO give a hoot what others think, they follow group norms. Chaotic guys generally don't, they follow their own norms.

But its a funny dilemma, nonetheless... :D

Remove ads