• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An obligatory (?) 'Why no Narnia RPG?" thread

Storm Raven

First Post
Umbran said:
As we all know, one can read nigh whatever one wants into a text, so it's more an allegory of whatever you want. :)

Well, we know that Lewis intended there to be Christian references to the story. Even his contrived "supposal" argument "supposes" that Aslan is a parallel for Jesus, and the Stone Table is a parallel for the cross, and so on and so forth.

I've a friend who got his doctorate with a thesis on the representations of a multitude of other religions to be found in the Narnia books - Judaism, Muslim, even Bhuddist faiths. It's all there if you read it properly.

That is probably because Christianity shares a lot of symbolism with Judaism, Islam, and even some elements with Bhuddism. Judaism in particular should share a lot of elements with the Chronicles of Narnia - The Magician's Nephew, for example, has its religious elements very much rooted in the Old Testament.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
I'll go out on a limb and say that, even were it to be promoted by the estate, a Narnia RPG would have a lot of difficulties--and the biggest of them would be the world of Narnia.

To start out with one, almost alll of the stories are about people who weren't Narnian in the first place. Diggory, Polly, Peter, Edmund, Lucy, Susan, Jill, and Eustace were all from our world. And they were all children. If you wanted to play a powerful warrior like King Rillian or Caspian and his crew from the time of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, your story would already be outside the standard stories of Narnia. You could play children from our world drawn into Narnia for some specific purpose, but that is already pretty dramatically limiting the kinds of characters people will be playing. And even among people who would enjoy playing from the narrow range of characters, I think a good portion of them might rebel at the specific purpose part of the story.

Second, you have Aslan to deal with. You can't tell a Narnia story without Aslan. He's at the heart of all of them and if you try to leave him out, you've got a setting with lots of talking animals--it's not Narnia. Now, Aslan and what he stands for in the world of Narnia (virtue, etc--we can ignore who else Aslan is supposed to be) are enough to alienate at least a third of RPG gamers right there. (You mean my slutty, thieving, dryad rogue isn't good--this game is for narrow-minded.... or what do you mean I can't play a slave-owning lawful neutral follower of Tash)). However, the game is going to be more limited once you add in his role in the story. In some of the stories Aslan was subtle, in others he wasn't, but in any event, it would take a very skilled DM to pull Aslan's proper place in a story off without having him become the Elminster of bad Forgotten Realms games. And even if the obvious hurdles were passed, there would still be the challenge of getting Aslan right. Playing Aslan properly would be a challenge that I think few DMs would be up to.

So that's it. I think Narnia can be a good source for DMs and PCs to plunder--the wood between the worlds, the garden in the far west, Governer Pug's Lone Isles, every other stop the Dawn Treader made, King Miraz, Charn, the bell and Jadis' riddle/curse, Tash, Tashban, the Tisroc (may he live forever), Rabadash, the castle of the gentle giants, the underworld and its gnomes (ensorcerelled and freed), and Aslan are all excellent sources for players or a DM to take ideas. (And despite what I said about Aslan earlier, I think he's a very good source of inspiration for DMs who want to have the divine impact their world without overwhelming the PCs efforts--there's a lot less risk involved in using Aslan if the setting doesn't depend upon getting him right; even a somewhat screwed up Aslan is better than a lot of alternatives, but if you're trying to run Narnia you have to get him right).

Hitokiri

First Post
Umbran said:
As we all know, one can read nigh whatever one wants into a text, so it's more an allegory of whatever you want. :)

I've a friend who got his doctorate with a thesis on the representations of a multitude of other religions to be found in the Narnia books - Judaism, Muslim, even Bhuddist faiths. It's all there if you read it properly.

I'm waiting for someone to take the Tom Lehrer approach, and to write an analysis of Narnia as a modern Romance novel ("When correctly viewed, everything it lewd!").

Well, considering that Lewis said he put the christian refrences in the text, I don't think we are reading them into the text on accident. In fact, that was probably the largest point of contention between Tolkien and Lewis. Lewis berated tolkien for his lack of religious overtones in his novels while Tolkien purposefully left them out.

StupidSmurf

First Post
Hitokiri said:
Well, considering that Lewis said he put the christian refrences in the text, I don't think we are reading them into the text on accident. In fact, that was probably the largest point of contention between Tolkien and Lewis. Lewis berated tolkien for his lack of religious overtones in his novels while Tolkien purposefully left them out.

Exactly! What I wouldn't have given to just be listening in on those chats! :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads