• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An obsolete ability score system

eriktheguy

First Post
Hello all. I want to ask the community today what they think about D&D's ability score system, which parts are needed, and which are not. The point I am trying to make here is that in our current system there is no need to track ability scores below 10, and that a system which started at 0 would be more intuitive. The following blurb is a little history lesson dating from 2nd edition to the present on how ability scores were first used in the game, and how they got where they are today. Feel free to skip it over if you already know this stuff.

---Blurb begins---
Since 2nd edition, dungeons and dragons has used the same 6 ability scores we use today, Str, Con, Dex, Int, Wis, Cha. Originally every ability score your character had was a number ranging from 3-18. You determined each score by rolling 3d6 (or 4d6 and dropping the lowest die). This resulted in far more varied characters than our present edition, but was less effective in terms of balance (opinion). When you tried to do something difficult, ability checks were used instead of skills. If you tried to climb a rope, that was based off dexterity, so you made a dexterity check. You would roll a d20 and hope to roll your dexterity score or lower. With racial modifiers (+/-1) your score would range from 2 to 19, so you could always fail on a 20 or succeed on a 1.
Rather than ability modifiers (i. e. 14 Str is a +2 Str modifier) there was a reference chart for each ability score. If you had 18 Str, you looked it up on the chart, and saw that you gained +1 to hit with melee attacks, and +2 damage. Dex improved AC and ranged attacks, Wis gave clerics bonus spells, Cha determined your maximum number of followers etc. Bear in mind the reason that ability scores were distributed from 2 to 19 was so that they would work with the d20 mechanic.

3rd edition came out in 2000 (about 11 years after 2nd) and completely revolutionized the system. Many numbers were more intuitive now. Third edition was the first to use an attack bonus score and armor class score that counted up instead of down. It was also scrapped 2nd editions messy saving throw system in favor of a more intuitive Fort, Ref, Will system. This was the first edition with ability score modifiers. 14 Str carried a +2 modifier, and granted +2 to all Str related rolls. Attack rolls, saving throws and the new skill checks used the super new universal mechanic. Roll a d20, add your bonus, try to reach a target score. You applied your Con mod to Fort, your Dex mod to Ref, and your Wis mod to Will. 3rd edition used ability score rolling (roll 4d6, take the best 3) as the default character creation method, but also introduced a rudimentary optional point buy system. Many characters still had ability scores below 10, but having scores range from 2-19 was no longer necessary because of the new mechanic.

While 3rd edition managed to simplify the game greatly (say "THAC0" in a room of gaming veterans if you want to see what I mean), it was nothing compared to the massive overhaul that was 4e in 2008. 4th edition boiled away almost all the unnecessary fat, simplifying character creation, combat, and skills to a level that made the game far more accessible to new players and improved balance drastically (opinion). Now the default method for character creation was point buy, and players were warned to check with the DM before rolling stats, since many DMs would not allow it. This made for less variance in player ability scores, so that you would not be starting the campaign with three 18's or three 5's. Every ability score started at 10 (no modifier) and could be increased. No more than one ability score could be below 10, you could lower it to 9 or 8 to get a few more points. Additionally, Fort, Ref, Will (which are now defenses instead of saving throws, but work about the same way) can get boosted by one of two stats: Fort by Str or Con, Ref by Dex or Int, Will by Wis or Cha. This system allowed players whose main stats were not Str, Dex or Wis to have decent defense scores. Finally, every class now used its main ability score for its attacks instead of a secondary one. (Rogues in 2e and 3e for example, attacked with Str).
---Blurb Ends---

The important difference here is that there are effectively no more negative ability modifiers in D&D. You can have one stat with a negative ability modifier, but it does not affect your defenses, because you have another ability with a neutral or positive modifier to boost that defense, and it does not effect attacks, because the scores you use to attack are all high. The only thing a negative modifier applies to are a handful of skills that you rarely use compared to your good skills. You no longer get ability score penalties from enemy attacks that drain energy like you did in 2e and 3e, so there are really very few opportunities to see a -1 added to your checks.
There are very few negatives in 4e at all for that matter. For example, in older editions you got penalties for attack with non-proficient weapons. Today you get no modifier for attacking with non-proficient weapons, and a bonus if you are proficient. This new system works, and it is simpler.
So what is the point of allowing the characters to take an 8 to increase their other scores slightly. It is an option that every optimized build uses (lower a score that affects nothing, to increase one that affects something). We may as well just give them the extra points but keep every skill at 10. Get rid of negative numbers that confuse new players and are almost never used.
And since no skills go lower than 10, what is the point of starting at 10? A system that starts at 0 would be easier to learn. Since we no longer roll a d20 for 'dexterity checks', the old system where 10 is average is not necessary. The entire skeleton of the current ability score system is built to support a play mechanic that is not even used anymore. It's entirely vestigial.
One place where ability scores do go below 10 is in the monster manual, where monsters ability scores are listed. My opinion is that ability scores are unimportant for monsters. All vital information can be gained from their combat statistics and their descriptions, and maybe a mention of how intelligent they are ('animal', 'low', 'normal', or 'high' would be enough).

So what do you think? When 5e (internet only) edition comes out (and we are all living in magic technodomes on the moon), should we scrap our legacy ability score system in favor of one that starts at 0?

FireLance

Legend
Quite frankly, I am not sure that we have a mechanical need for an ability score system at all. In the past, it may have been necessary because there were few secondary variables (e.g. skill modifiers) so the six ability scores became the way to determine what a character could be expected to be good at: for example, a strong character might be able to leap across a pit, a dexterous character might be able to walk a tightrope, an intelligent character might know a bit of lore, and a charismatic character might be able to influence an NPC.

In 4e, ability scores are hardly ever referenced directly. In most cases, they only have an indirect effect, e.g. modifying the attack bonus, damage bonus, defense, skill modifier, etc. Replace all instances of [Ability] modifier with a fixed number (say +2 at 1st level, +3 at 8th, etc.) and the game will still function relatively well. Why do you need Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence and Charisma when you have Athletics, Acrobatics, History and Diplomacy?

From the roleplaying angle, I do still see some benefit in retaining the ability scores, as a shorthand for describing the character. However, I think the flow of cause and effect should flow in the opposite direction. A strong character isn't good at making melee attacks. Instead, a character who is good at making melee attacks is strong. You don't create a character with 16 Strength and decide to make him a fighter. You create a fighter and his class choice gives him a +6 bonus to Strength (or you could describe him as more wiry than muscular and give him +3 Strength +3 Dexterity instead, or as a clever fighter that relies as much on his wits as he does on his physical abilities and give him +2 Strength +2 Dexterity +2 Intelligence). You aren't good at Athletics because you are strong. You are strong because you are good at Athletics (if you are trained in Athletics, you get +2 Strength). You don't have a high Initiative modifier because you have a good Dexterity. If you pick the Improved Initiative feat, you get +2 Dexterity.

Now, one argument that I can think of for retaining the six ability scores as more than just a role-playing tool is that they help to mechanically differentiate PCs of the same race and class. What other benefits might there be to retaining the mechanical effects of ability scores?

eriktheguy

First Post
Quite frankly, I am not sure that we have a mechanical need for an ability score system at all.

I can definitely see the point you are making here, and for the most part agree. Ability scores serve to basically add a static modifier to what your character can do, but they tend to serve a completely different purpose than they did when originally introduced. Back in 2nd edition, you needed 17 Str or 15 Dex before you even saw an improvement to combat statistics, and these scores were very hard to come by. Ability scores dictated what you were good at out of combat, and rarely affected combat. In the present edition most classes have an 18 to their attack stat, occasionally a 20 and rarely a 16. You basically choose between how you want your scores spread among your classes one primary and two secondary attributes and get bonuses accordingly. These numbers could all be satisfied in a class based engine. For example, fighters could choose as they level to grant greater bonuses to their dexterity type attacks, con type attacks, or wisdom type abilities. Additionally, characters could choose which skills they are good at without ability scores and use this to describe their character, rather than using ability scores to describe why they are good at certain skills. I myself have below average strength (low athletics?) but happen to be an excellent jumper and climber for someone of my size.

Removing the ability score system entirely is a radical move, and might piss off some veterans in ways 4e only began to. Your ability scores allow you to customize your characters combat and non-combat abilities at the same time. They also make more sense in terms of some cross class and non-class specific feats. A fighter with high wisdom gains a bonus both from his fighter class, and from his cleric cross class, as well as boosting his heal skill. If the system did not use ability scores, a fighter that focused on 'wisdom-type' abilities might not be able to translate any of this skill over to his cleric build. One of the advantages of the ability score system is synergy, a character with high wisdom gets to take advantage of the bonuses for all his classes, skills, feats etc. A class based system would be harder pressed to do this (opinion). I can't think of an easy way to make a fighter who focuses on wisdom based skills a better cleric other than to make that character one with high wisdom. It seems the simplest way to do it.

Using classes instead of abilities to define these things has its merits though. It encourages more race/class combos, and probably allows for much deeper character customization. There is definitely a strong case for either system

I hope wizards challenges themselves to build a new ability score system for the next edition though. One that starts at 0 or 1 would make sense. The current system uses the 'even ability scores increase bonus, odd scores qualify for feats' rule, but I think this is just an excuse to continue using the legacy system they adopted from 2nd to 3rd edition. A system with less time spent on ability scores would be nice (imagine if your starting scores only ranged from 0 to 5!). I have brought so many new people into the game since the new edition, simply because the rules are much easier to learn, so any simplification that doesn't subtract from gameplay is a great move in my books! At present it takes me about 20 minutes on my computer to make a character for a new player (while discussing with them what they want). I challenge wizards to bring this down to 10. I find that for new players ability scores take the longest to decide on, and I often just do it myself with minimal input from them.

Dan'L

First Post
The following blurb is a little history lesson dating from 2nd edition to the present on how ability scores were first used in the game

Ah, the irony. 2nd edition is the first use in the game? I guess earlier iterations using the ability scores are lost to the prehistoric times known as the 1970s and 1980s.

The important difference here is that there are effectively no more negative ability modifiers in D&D... (etc.)

Well, not so much with the base mechanic of point buy, but the door is still open with method 3's rolled ability scores for more than just one 8 or 9 stat to show up.

Ultimately, the 3-18 range is an artifact that goes back well before 2nd edition to the very early days of the game. Yes the game could work in some other fashion, but does it need to? What do you consider particularly broken or troublesome with the current method? Where does this method's strong points lie? And what do you think could be done to address the troublesome bits while preserving the strengths?

-Dan'L

-Avalon-

First Post
I can definitely see how some may say we need to dump the stats and just use a new modifier type. So that in addition to feat bonus, item bonus, enhancement bonus, etc... we would also have an "ability bonus". Where +1 costs 2 pts, +2 costs 5 pts, +3 costs 9 pts, and +4 costs 16 pts (if current pt buy is used), and a stacking bonus (racial bonus) would be +1 to 2 stats...

This could work, but would also do away with the finer pts... as it stands when two guys are arm wrestling, both have +4's from strength, and +3 from con... how do you REALLY determine straight off who wins? Roll Athletics and see... both roll the same #... who wins? Easy way to see is to say "What are the strength scores?" both have 18's... "What are the con scores?" one has a 16, other has a 17... "Ok, after a long, and drawn out match, both arms worn to complete exhaustion... just as it is about to be called a draw... the one with the 17 con manages to draw deep and find a hidden reserve of strength to give it one last go and wins!"

Stats do more than just give straight bonuses. They also help decide the finer more detailed things, such as initiative (both roll same number, have same init bonus, but one has a better int/dex then they go slightly ahead) etc etc... But I could see for the sake of ease and simplification going to the straight bonus route.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Stats do more than just give straight bonuses. They also help decide the finer more detailed things, such as initiative (both roll same number, have same init bonus, but one has a better int/dex then they go slightly ahead) etc etc... But I could see for the sake of ease and simplification going to the straight bonus route.

I reroll tie breakers (no one element is more significant than the others) and move along...

In this case catering to D&D's historical legacy has so little impact on play... why not keep it? Impact on character design could be a reason but is it sufficient... is the design process streamlined (not much), is my character sheet more readable without it... maybe.

ZzarkLinux

First Post
but it would do away with the finer pts... as it stands when two guys are arm wrestling, both have +4's from strength, and +3 from con... how do you REALLY determine straight off who wins? Roll Athletics and see... both roll the same #... who wins? Easy way to see is to say "What are the strength scores?" both have 18's... "What are the con scores?" one has a 16, other has a 17...

There will always be ties. No matter what system you use.

I would strongly prefer a "bonus-based" system.
The current system is just another "chart" to reference:
06-07 = -2
08-09 = -1
10-11 = 0
12-13 = +1
etc...

The general DnD rules should IMO be simple.
Besides, the DM could always add "arm-wrestling" rules for fancy-ness, but the base system doesn't need the bloat.

Flipguarder

First Post
I think that getting rid of something for the sake of getting rid of something is not the best idea in such a delicately balanced system. I mean sure you can change everything and in the end have no mechanical differences but then it's like "congratulations, you've accomplished nothing for no reason."

eriktheguy

First Post
Actually, when you tie initiative I think it is the person with the higher initiative bonus that goes first, not higher dex/int. Also, Int doesn't relate to initiative at all.
But yeah, I agree that this rules change is absolutely unnecessary, and that the system is not broken. That's why I suggest this change for a new edition, not a house rule. Wizards has put a huge emphasis on simplifying the system this edition in many ways, such as removing a handful of alignments. It isn't a call I would have made, but I can see the merits and I'm not opposed to it. The ability score system on the other hand is one tough egg to crack. It is probably the most complicated part of 4e and the toughest for new players. My guess is that the only reason it wasn't change to something more basic in 4e is that Wizards did not want to completely alienate their old fans (who they needed so badly to introduce all these new players that 4e would be so inviting to). I wouldn't be surprised if a whole new system were introduced for 5e.

One obvious idea (mentioned above) is a system where you're ability scores are all zeros by default. You get 22 points. You can buy ability scores up as follows
Score/Cost
1/2
2/5
3/9
4/16

And you simply use the score as a modifier. This is equivalent to our current system with even scores only and the '8's removed. You might argue that odd scores are significant because they determine requirements for feats, but I would argue that Wizards made odd scores work in this way simply because they would otherwise be insignificant. We shouldn't have to balance the game around a legacy system.
The most beautiful thing about this system is explaining it to a newbie. Show them this chart and say "you could make your best score a 4, or you might make your best score a 3 and still have some points left over for your secondary scores". Racial mods are now +1 to two scores. In this way your starting scores are now all between 0 and 5.

I think that a new edition balanced around this number set would be far more inviting to noobs without any major changes to gameplay.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads