• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An official database of items & their costs

Mystendanian

First Post
Is there a "master list" out there anywhere that has all of the magic items from all of the books and their appropriate prices. You know how 3 items named the same show up in different books with different prices (i.e. Dragon Scale Armor). Somebody Somewhere must have gone through the trouble...

Myst

James McMurray

First Post
There would be great interest in a creation fo that sort. If you mean a database program, it would also be great to have the ability to filter down to just the sources that you want and then randomly generate minor, medium, and major item from it.

Not that I'm greedy or anything. ;)

Mystendanian

First Post
sadly, my talents as a programmer are non-existant. The best I could do would be an excel spreadsheet with items alphabatized. I suppose I could have multiple workbooks sorted by item type. I just figured somebody out there for organized and talented than myself would have already done such a thing.

Silveras

First Post
One of the difficulties is "where do I stop ?".

Item names and prices are fine. But some items have weapon uses, and having their stats would be good. Other items have armor uses. Some can even be used as both (Shield Bash, for example). And, of course, hardness and hit points; if you're going to list the other qualities, leaving out hardness and hit points seems like a glaring oversight. Oh, but wait, then you have to allow for special materials ... which sometimes add a quality the item did not have before (Adamantine armor grants DR, for example). Oh, and quality ... Masterwork vs Normal. And magic items. And... you get the picture.

Database tools would be a godsend to the laptop-enabled DM. Quick, easy reference to often-used information is a blessing at the table.

I have an Access-based db that I am working on for my current campaign. it currently has 90% of the monsters from MM reverse-engineered into it (and I send about 30 or so e-mails to Wizards Customer Service correcting what seem to be errors in the skill points of many monsters). Why the reverse-engineering ? So I can take the "base" monster and have the db program apply a Template... so I can take the "base" monster and make an advanced version... or so I can add class levels.

The problem with electronic solutions for RPG games is that the games are not static. There is always some new methodology being introduced. I am currently playing in a PBeM game where the DM uses PCGen. We have a lot of multi-classed characters in the party, so I advocate using the "Smooth Fractional Bonuses" house rule from Unearthed Arcana -- which makes multi-classed NPCs a little less hindered at some points. The DM can't find a way to do this in PCGen at this time, because that's a variant that the programmers did not have available when writing the code. It is not possible to foresee every variant and every new idea, so it is not possible to make an electronic tool that is able to address every variant and new idea easily.

Anyway, my point is that probably the main reason you don't see a good listing like that is because no one is sure what it should look like, where the end of "price list" and the beginning of "equipment management tool" is.

GreyShadow

Explorer
I know I'd find it quite handy to have one, but I can understand Silveras's point. Just how much information do you put into it?

Theocrat

First Post
Green Ronin Did It.

Hi all-
Well Green Ronin did a Pocket Aracana, Pocket Divine and a Pocket Magica book about 1-2 yrs ago.
It's pretty good, but of course, it only has the PHB/DMG and some of the older magical items / spells. It was 3.0 too, so that makes a difference.
One of the things that I always find disappointing is that officially nobody can really have a great list - because of the d20 rules. Only the PHB / DMG / MM's are SRD, so all the cool items in Arms & Eq, CW and whatnot cant be in an official d20 product. Bummer.
But a fan created thing would be awesome. And a lot of work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads