• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An open letter to DnDInsider

Beckett

Explorer
SSquirrel said:
how on earth has it been a blackout? new info is shared almost daily. Yes sometimes it's small bits hidden in blogs, but enworld does a good job of parsing everything out for us ;)

It confuses me too. I mean, is White Wolf in the habit of posting excerpts 6 months before one of their books comes out?

Sojorn

First Post
tuffnoogies said:
Shouldn't have had to though. I like the current schedule. I hope they keep it up. I would have been happy with one update per week though if they'd started it right after DDXP. It would be nice to know the names of the monsters in the art preview though.
Ask and you shall receive.

Get to this by clicking on the "daily art preview" words under the actual art preview.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/artpreview

SSquirrel

Explorer
tuffnoogies said:
Shouldn't have had to though. I like the current schedule. I hope they keep it up. I would have been happy with one update per week though if they'd started it right after DDXP. It would be nice to know the names of the monsters in the art preview though.

Right, so you get something like 6 or 10 blogs a week linked up from ENWorld w/descriptions of gameplay, new mechanical blurbs, confirmations etc, several weekly official website updates and previews. This is much greater than 1 preview a week. Now if only we could get an update on how the GSL is coming...

Cmarco

First Post
Scott_Rouse said:
Dear Simplicity,

We are so sorry we are not meeting your expectations. I will inform the web team to leave work and go play Frisbee Golf immediatley.

Sincerely,

There's a frisbee golf course right down the street from my place. It's a fun game, but it really does open you up for a whole day of slacking off ;)

Daelkyr

First Post
I've heard of this 'Frisbee Golf'. Isn't it played *GASP*... OUTDOORS?! Having seen the Rouses' photograph several times, I assumed ALL the WotC RPG/web team shunned anything to do with "outdoors" activities. How could any good D&D fan venture out of the basement to that scary blue space where there might be Jocks or Girls?

Perhaps this explains the dumbing down of 4e. It's design team is filled with "athletes" and people who "know girls".

Beckett said:
It confuses me too. I mean, is White Wolf in the habit of posting excerpts 6 months before one of their books comes out?
I don't know. This is the 4E D&D forum, so White Wolfs policy is only interesting if they put out 4E material. Who is to say anyone liked their policy, either. But if I wanted to complain on it, maybe a White Wolf board or a White Wolf-related board might be a better place.

More generally, just because next to everyone in the business does something you don't like, doesn't mean you are not allowed to like it, or complain about it. You might as well say that, just because most politicians tell half-truth or outright lies, I can't complain that a specific politician does it, too.

Personally, while I liked to know more, and earlier, I don't think WotC information or marketing is bad. People might not get it, but all the looking for tiny scoops and analyzing the little we have IS marketing. It's probably a kind of viral marketing (I am not a marketing expert, so there might be a different name.).
And as annoying as this kind of marketing sometimes can be, the truth is, we are still here, we have invested a lot of time in 4E, and this means (for the most part) that we will buy the books. And WotC didn't really have to do that much for this (in terms of marketing - that they had to create a possibly kick-ass game is another matter. :) )
This managed to keep our suspense for several months, with a modest amount of investment on WotC.
Now that the books are out to the printers, the release being very soon, the marketing changes tactics, becomes more aggressive (and more expensive for WotC). They release more information online, contact the press to facilitate interviews or news articles regarding to D&D and so on. (The latter is a mere guess, but considering this month I have seent he first D&D 4E related news articles - gathered by fellow EnWorlders - I suspect that this is also a marketing activity). They expand the base of people that hear of 4E and get interested in it. And now, the WotC and the ENWorld boards "are ready" for anyone surfing the net demanding to know more.
Heck, the Raiders of the Oakhurst adventure, the PHB lite, a 7+ page thread of custom 4E monsters, dozens of inofficial/private playtest reports, all this is stuff that someone now reached by the expanded marketing will have access to. Well organized and thoroughly analyzed by other gamers. And WotC didn't spend money or manpower on it!

Jack99

Adventurer
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Well organized and thoroughly analyzed by other gamers. And WotC didn't spend money or manpower on it!

Well, I don't know how much time WoTC's employees spend on their own boards, but they sure as hell seem to spend a lot of time here. Maybe they don't always post, but it seems fairly clear that they keep up on a lot of threads.

/shrug

Aside from that, I agree 100% with you.

tuffnoogies

First Post
SSquirrel said:
Right, so you get something like 6 or 10 blogs a week linked up from ENWorld w/descriptions of gameplay, new mechanical blurbs, confirmations etc, several weekly official website updates and previews. This is much greater than 1 preview a week. Now if only we could get an update on how the GSL is coming...

Yeah? Either I'm not getting your point or you didn't get mine. Other than the Wiz Pres books, there was almost NOTHING coming out of WotC except for a few snippets on fluff. Someone had to scour through all those blogs and consolidate the notes. That's not marketing. It's a treasure hunt. I'm not saying I don't appreciate the work the ENWorlders are doing, I'm saying they shouldn't have to.

They may as well have waited until DDXP to announce 4e for all the previews and anticipation building they did. Instead of telling us how great it was, why not show us some stuff?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads