• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E An open letter to Paizo

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricNoah

Adventurer
Wow, and with all the moderators at GenCon...

I will be interested to hear what Paizo has to say about this. I've always been curious how their electronic storefront works. How much human oversight is there in product selection -- does Company X's product line roll into the storefront automatically, without Paizo eyes on it, from some outside source? Do Paizo employees actually handle all of the merchandise themselves or are third parties filling the orders?

jonathan swift

First Post
EricNoah said:

I will be interested to hear what Paizo has to say about this. I've always been curious how their electronic storefront works. How much human oversight is there in product selection -- does Company X's product line roll into the storefront automatically, without Paizo eyes on it, from some outside source? Do Paizo employees actually handle all of the merchandise themselves or are third parties filling the orders?

Very good point. Depending on how their whole system works could change this issue around a good bit.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
Minors may be able to browse Paizo's site but that doesn't mean Paizo shouldn't be able to cater to adults or other tastes as well. They also have Stoner Fluxx, d20 Modern products about drug use, Swearbears, Asgardian gods plushes, Chulhu plushes, and even a Moses plush. Who would like to start boycotting because of them? How many of your local game stores or other online stores carry the same or similar products (where minors might browse!)?

I understand that people can make their decisions based on anything that catches or offends their fancy, but you really can't expect every product to appeal to you or for a store to cater to everyone's particular desires. Sometimes you have to be a little more choosy about the windmills you tilt at and weigh the dangers of a drug-humor plush doll against plenty of other influence about drugs.

6pakofdwarves

First Post
crazypixie said:
D&D is rather like taking your kids to a PG13 movie. PG13 movies don't contain depictions of drug use, although they occassionally do contain depictions of alchohol and tobacco use and most of them contain violence.

Drug use in movies garners an R rating pretty much every time. I don't allow my kids to watch R-rated movies. This doll depicts drug use, whether satirical or not, and is being sold in an online store alongside G-rated products (the above mentioned Bella Sara cards).

Sorry, you are wrong.
A quote from the MPAA site on PG13 movies
"Any drug use will initially require at least a PG-13 rating"
Not to mention they show blatant drug use on TV. Ever seen "That 70's Show"?

jonathan swift said:
Some of us don't think it is okay. And that is why some of us play other RPGs than DnD. Don't make assumptions about your audience.

Ummm, yeah. To be honest, I don't care. The VAST majority of people on ENWorld play D&D or other violent rpg's. So my assumption holds true 99.9% of the time.

Grimstaff

Explorer
EricNoah said:
That would explain why noone has shown up to shut down this Oprah Winfrey Show nonsense. Anyone have Morrus' cell number? :p

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
EricNoah said:

I would be interested in this as well. The product is made by Toy Vault, who also make the Monty Python and Cthulhu plushes that Paizo sells as well.

Unfortunately, as with the mods, most of Paizo is probably at Gencon as well.

EricNoah

Adventurer
With the Paizo guys at GenCon it's likely we won't see a response to this for some time.

In the meantime, I would ask everyone -- as a former moderator here myself -- to please stop with the attacking tones. I think the original poster has a relevant point, and I don't think the purpose was to start up fake drama or flames. If you feel like discussing this in a rational manner, do so; but if you feel like you need to attack or "win" this thread, please reconsider.

Grimstaff

Explorer
EricNoah said:
With the Paizo guys at GenCon it's likely we won't see a response to this for some time.

In the meantime, I would ask everyone -- as a former moderator here myself -- to please stop with the attacking tones. I think the original poster has a relevant point, and I don't think the purpose was to start up fake drama or flames. If you feel like discussing this in a rational manner, do so; but if you feel like you need to attack or "win" this thread, please reconsider.
I'm just waiting for the chants of "Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!" to begin... :p

trancejeremy

Adventurer
There is nothing immoral or illegal in violence, provided it is done in self-defense, which is actually the case in D&D, at least the "default" way where the PCs are good.

OTOH, drug use , while it may or may not be immoral, certainly is illegal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads