• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E An open letter to Paizo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug McCrae

Legend
There's references to drugs in Sharn: City of Towers, so the OP better boycott WotC too. And most other roleplaying companies. And most companies in general.

I'm not seeing the big distinction between illegal drugs and legal drugs. Or between drugs and many other damaging practices.

Yeah, illegal drugs cause harm. They also provide a lot of pleasure. Just like legal drugs such as alcohol and tobacco, that's why they exist. Mountain climbing causes harm, and is completely unnecessary, but it exists purely because people enjoy it. Are you going to boycott companies whose products present climbing in a positive manner?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
If you want to object to something at Paizo, this ugly and overpriced doll seems to be a strange place to draw the line. Or is it just that anime is a more "mainstream" part of gamer culture, and is thus acceptable?

And if it's not Paizo.com, it's somewhere else. You cannot child-proof the Internet. All you can do is equip your child to make good choices. You have more power than any Internet store, MySpace page or anything else.

EDIT: I kind of like this shirt.

6pakofdwarves

First Post
SavageRobby said:
Ye gods, enough with the absolutes already. The OP is objecting to a very specific type of reference that Paizo is (inadvertently or purposefully) promoting - that which supports "a drug lifestyle". Perhaps if you spent some more time reading instead of so vociferously demanding he's a hypocrite you'd see what the objection actually was.

And the fact that you believe that RPGS glorify something "bad and illegal" speaks volumes to me about your games.

Read all my posts. I know exactly what he is saying, and I completely disagree with his line of reasoning. As this is a discussion board that HE posted on initially, I can only assume he was inviting discussion on his opinion.

Also, my friend, do you play in a game where their is no violence? If so, you and jonathan swift should game together. Any form of violent resolution to a conflict, unless undertaken by the police or armed forces, is almost always illegal. Sometimes it is illegal even WHEN carried under the pervue of the police or armed forces, but that is a discussion for a different board. So answer me this, how does D&D and most other RPG's NOT glorify something inherently illegal or wrong?

catsclaw227

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
Yeah, illegal drugs cause harm. They also provide a lot of pleasure. Just like legal drugs such as alcohol and tobacco, that's why they exist. Mountain climbing causes harm, and is completely unnecessary, but it exists purely because people enjoy it. Are you going to boycott companies whose products present climbing in a positive manner?

Normally I agree with you Doug.... but I need to call this argument as a Strawman...:)

mountain climbing is not illegal.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
catsclaw227 said:
Normally I agree with you Doug.... but I need to call this argument as a Strawman...:)

mountain climbing is not illegal.
You skipped over the most important part of his argument, then. Alcohol is a much bigger killer than drugs, and is not only legal, it's subsidized. It is also prominently featured in every edition of D&D.

Friadoc

Explorer
I humble disagree with you, Firebeetle.

There is a huge difference between satire, which is what I feel that plushie is, and "merchant who supports a drug lifestyle".

Now a head shop is obviously "merchant who supports a drug lifestyle", many of their products can also serve usage with tobacco, but it's obvious that is not their main goal.

However, just like Cracked or Mad Magazine, the plushie seems to be blatant satire, it's more offensive as a stereotype in that not only is the doll a little sleep looking, with dreadlocks, it is also black.

But, so it seems are the other poser dolls and I doubt it is meant in a derogitory fashion towards any ethnic group.

It's up to you if you wish to boycott Paizo because of the product, but I personally feel it's a foolish stance, but it is your choice and you're free to make it.

Personally, I find it funny and I see nothing wrong with it. Also, my son is almost four, but we watch what he watches and thusly very little ever sneaks in that we don't approve of, or at least explain to him.

As with other things in life, drugs are just a factor or facet of someone's personal issues or demons, rarely is something a "catchall".

In fact, it is the illegality of marijuana that makes it a gateway drug, not the nature of it, and most branching occurs in subculture peer pressure and moment of oppotunistic leverage by a dealer.

While I grew up around marijuana, I've only tried it a handful of times in my life and I found it no more willpower subversive than underage drinking and smoking.

It is a social drug, akin to the two above, that is mostly peer pressure in exposure and only leads to other, harder drugs due to it being underground.

In fact, I've known people who are simply homegrowers and have never tried anything harder that marijuana, because they don't see the need. They're intelligent, educated, and hardworkers and totally buck the stereotype of a "pothead".

Oddly enough, it's just like knowing people who drink a lot of alcohol, but are still productive. As with most of humanity and its' cultures and subcultures, there are good examples and bad examples.

*shrugs*

Anyhow, back on track of the thread, I respect your stance, if you feel a boycott is the best avenue, and it is your right to do it.

Just because Freedom of Speech protects satire as a rightful form of expression, does not mean people have to buy their products, or buy from a company, but I do disagree with your referring to Paizo as "merchant who supports a drug lifestyle", I think it's an erroneous comment.

While they are satiring said lifestyle, or at least aiding someone in selling said satire, I see no evidence of an agenda of support, or even discussion of it.

But, that's just my two cents, take them as you will.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Doug McCrae said:
There's references to drugs in Sharn: City of Towers, so the OP better boycott WotC too. And most other roleplaying companies. And most companies in general.

I'm not seeing the big distinction between illegal drugs and legal drugs. Or between drugs and many other damaging practices.

The original poster isn't advocating a boycott. He is stating that he, personally, will not support Paizo as long as this product is sold by them.

As for the distinction among illegal and legal harmful activities...speaking only for myself as a parent, I wouldn't let my kids go mountain climbing without copious amounts of safety gear. I also don't allow alcohol or tobacco products in my house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads