• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E An open letter to Paizo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vocenoctum

First Post
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
You disagree that he's attempting to get Paizo to remove the product? You disagree that this doesn't affect me, as an adult and actual Paizo costumer, by attempting to deny me choices based on his beliefs? You disagree that I have the right to disagree with him?

Your response doesn't make sense with my post.

Then you're not paying attention. He has posted about this issue, if enough folks agree with him to hurt the bottom line, the product will go away. If you state your opinion, then Paizo can read both and make their decision based on that.

Trying to prove that the OP is wrong in his opinion because D&D is violent, or anime exists, or whatever, is a different tactic than stating your opinion.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
I think a compromise that I believe would be agreeable to both viewpoints, would simply to have a label on the page of some sort that clearly marks the doll as being for a certain age group...I hesitate to use the term "mature audiences" since that term is often applied to immature things that are nonetheless adult in nature.

6pakofdwarves

First Post
SavageRobby said:
Sure, discussion. I guess calling someone a hypocrite counts as "discussion" in your lexicon.

You didn't say "where there is no violence". You said "bad and evil". There is a large gap between the two, but you seem to equate them. Violence outright equaling evil is, at absolute best, a modern conceit, and even then I would disagree with that on purely philosophical grounds. Violence outright equaling evil in a fantasy world filled with intrinsically evil creatures - nasty, blood drinking, soul sucking-style evil creatures - I would wholeheartedly disagree with. And I think you're stretching a great deal to make your point.

It is when I qualify my statements as to why I feel the way I do.

I actually said Bad and Illegal, again, read my posts if you are going to quote me. And their are plenty of nasty, blood drinking, sould sucking style monsters in the real world. Child molesters, serial killers, rapists...It is still illegal and wrong to kill them out of hand. And don't use "modern conceit" as defense, as that can be applied to smoking marijuana being illegal as well. I don't think I am stretching at all, as not to many years ago the game we play WAS villified for glorifieing violence and witchcraft and deviltry and such. So not a stretch at all... Go to Jack Chicks sight for an example.

Squire James said:
I think the OP is over-reacting, but I generally agree with his/her right to say it. Some here seem to think this board is only for people who agree with them.

I disagree! ;)

Vocenoctum said:
Trying to prove that the OP is wrong in his opinion because D&D is violent, or anime exists, or whatever, is a different tactic than stating your opinion.

I feel I should mention that what was being pointed out was that Paizo's store is also selling anime that is pretty blatant pronography and no one has said a thing about that.

MrFilthyIke

First Post
I think Firebeetle waited till GenCon so thise thread could go on with as little moderation as possible for as long as possible. ;)

Vocenoctum

First Post
DM-Rocco said:
This doll seems odd to me too. I don't even begin to know what they were thinking.

It and the Bliss doll really just seem dumb to me. Even if you want to make fun of such matters, I can't see spending $9 on one of these things. Where do you put it? Hang it from your rearview?

Bad taste aside though, I would like Paizo's opinion on the matter, but they're probably all out of town. I assume that the Toy Vault stuff is carried because of it's overall RPG nature, and individual items are not judged.

catsclaw227

First Post
The Thayan Menace said:
Some gamer you are.
Not to be snarky, but will you be providing some insight to your opinons about this topic, or will you continue to quote and reply with single line sentences that are unrelated to the thread?

I would like to know your opinion, not just read brief, unrelated comments. :)

The Thayan Menace

First Post
Okay ....

Vocenoctum said:
Then you're not paying attention. He has posted about this issue, if enough folks agree with him to hurt the bottom line, the product will go away.
I'm confused. Can someone explain to me how this is NOT a boycott strategy?

-Samir

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Vocenoctum said:
Since the link didn't bring anything up for me, I can't judge what you find objectionable about it, but it does serve to illustrate what I just posted. Rather than state your own opinion, you want to prove how the OP's is wrong, or hypocritical.
No, I wanted to point out that there's a ton of possibly objectionable stuff on the site, and was wondering what was special about this. Please stop putting words into my mouth. He is neither wrong nor hypocritical in his opinion, I'm just wondering how that doll is worse than the following.

Here's that link again. (Very NSFW)

http://paizo.com/store/dvds/rightStuf/v/v5748btpy7oph&source=search

Friadoc said:
I humble disagree with you, Firebeetle.
... <snip>

I'm with Friadoc. The silly, little doll is satire. Self-righteous indignation at this strikes me as naive and puritanical.

Marijuana, like alcohol, can really mess up a person's life if they abuse it. I personally think it better to promote responsible, moderate use as opposed to demonizing it and cementing its reputation as illicit and naughty (and therefore exciting and fun, from a teen's perspective). That will only glamorizes it for rebellious teenagers. Whether it's illegal or not, teenagers will find it if they want it badly enough. From the time I've spent working with high school kids, it is apparent to me that a large percentage are using it regularly, whether on the west coast, the midwest, or the east coast.

If someone suffers from mental illness or addiction, they will have serious problems whether they have access to marijuana or not. Not to diminish the OP's perspective, but if someone is suicidal, they have much deeper problems than using marijuana.

Marijuana is, in my mind, about as dangerous as drinking or smoking. Like tobacco, marijuana contains an abundance of tar and can lead to cancer. It is safer to eat it or at least filter it though a bong. Otherwise, it is a pretty innocent drug in the grand scheme of things, only marginally addictive from a chemical perspective.

Personally, I know (and am friends with) several 'highly' successful professionals (medical doctors, lawyers, PhDs) who use marijuana recreationally and have productive, and well-adjusted professional and family lives. Similar to alcohol, its use is widespread and common. Not everyone who uses these substances suffers from addiction problems. I personally believe that most don't.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads