• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

An Unusual Situation?

Blockader7

First Post
There is a spell out there somewhere I beleive, but can't remember ther exact name that allows Arcane Casters to summon their familliars.

Now imagine if a dragon casts that and it summons a PC to be the dragon's familliar.

How could this be handled though? What kind of benefits would the dragon get from having one of the PCs as its familliar? And what kind of benefits would the PC get in this situation?

Zhure

First Post
"Summon Familiar" isn't a spell in 3e, it's a class ability of 1st-level Sorcerers and Wizards and only grants the specific animal familiars listed in the PHB. Other than those two things deflating your question, I don't know how to respond because you're deep in house rules territory.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
In Dragon 280(?) you had a spell which would teleport your familiar to you. Of course, you had to have a familiar before you could cast that spell.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
There are published feats that allow a caster to summon an enhanced familiar, above and beyond the power of the simple animals listed in the PHB. And while one might house-rule that a dragon might gain a human as a familiar, I'd suggest against it, for one main reason - advancement of a familiar is based upon the advancement of the spellcaster, rather than it's own deeds. Familiars don't gain class levels.

As for what abilities a critter would get from having a PC as a familiar, well, I'd think that would depend upon the race fo the PC. A human might grant an extra skill point per level.
A dwarf might grant a fort save bonus, or some affinity with stone, etc.

What does the Humanoid get? Look at the Familiar descriptions in the PHB. The benefits to the familiar are listed there.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads